IRFRANK

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:10 pm
I know, we've beat this up pretty good, but I wanted to share this from the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-times-readers-set-romney-straight-20121116,0,3192580.story?page=1&fb_source=ticker&action_ref_map=%5B%5D&fb_action_ids=618652458828&fb_action_types=og.recommends&action_object_map=%7B%22618652458828%22%3A482645588446828%7D&action_type_map=%7B%22618652458828%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D

Two I especially liked.

David Willett of Goleta, for example, wanted specifics from you on the economy:

“I'm a middle-aged white male working in the defense industry and not part of the 47%. Romney's promised gifts to me (lower tax rate and increased defense spending) weren't enough to win my support. I wanted him to address the biggest economic crash of my lifetime. It was just four years ago.

“What would you have done if you were president? Persuade me your policies would have led to a much stronger recovery by now. Persuade me you understand what happened, and then explain it to me. Impress me with your grasp of this significant crisis.

“Romney ran his campaign on the theme that our current weak economy is a direct result of Obama's failed policies. Romney didn't directly address the crash, or even acknowledge its lasting impact. He barely conceded that the incumbent inherited a tough economy. The economy was supposed to be Romney's strong suit. But his decision to not directly address the 2008 economic collapse made his criticisms of Obama's policies, and advancement of his own policies, seem superficial and unfounded.”

second one:

“Romney, who started his life on the 50-yard line of a 100-yard dash, doesn't seem to understand America.

“In the 1960s, I attended community college, and completed my education at a state university, while receiving monthly support through the GI Bill. Now retired, I receive monthly payments from Social Security, and my healthcare is provided though Medicare. I am forever committed to the stubborn belief that a community working together, in many circumstances, is preferable to individuals pursuing their own self-interest. It is my sincere hope that all Americans will have access to the same opportunities that I have had. And that none will ever be deterred due to disparagement by politicians as dependent on government.”

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:12 pm
Here's a great article about how IT nerds won it for Obama -

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/11/when-the-nerds-go-marching-in/265325/#

Romney's group is light-years behind when it comes to technology issues. The GOP has a lot of catching up to do here...

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 08:25 pm
Obama received more votes? That would be my guess.
Sloan

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 09:00 pm
@McGentrix,
Of course he received more votes, there are a lot more Liberals then there are white racist republicans in this country. The conservatives are dieing off, and not soon enough.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:01 am
@Sloan,
Sloan wrote:

Of course he received more votes, there are a lot more Liberals then there are white racist republicans in this country. The conservatives are dieing off, and not soon enough.

Laughing

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 08:17 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Romney's group is light-years behind when it comes to technology issues. The GOP has a lot of catching up to do here...

And considering that a major selling point of Romney (or the GOP for that matter) is his business ability, that is telling.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 08:35 am
@IRFRANK,
Businesses tend to cater to their customer base.
The problem was more likely that Romney's customer base doesn't make up the majority of the electorate.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 09:05 pm
Sen.-elect Ted Cruz believes Mitt Romney got a little too close to Barack Obama in the third presidential debate.
“I’m pretty certain Mitt Romney actually French-kissed Barack Obama,” Cruz said in a speech at the Federalist Society’s annual conference Friday.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83989.html#ixzz2CdMkvhyJ
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 08:42 am
Romney Camp Is Fairly Confident That Christie Made Them Lose the Election
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/11/romney-camp-blames-christie-for-election-loss.html?
Of course it's far too much to expect a little humility from Romney. He'll never admit being the biggest reason why he lost.
JPB

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 08:51 am
@tsarstepan,
Camp Obama thinks it was the Jeep ad.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/11/20/jim-messina-jeep-ad-was-romneys-biggest-mistake/?wprss=rss_election-2012
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 10:05 am
Romney's biggest mistake was going to the far right to win the nomination and then back to the middle to try to win the election. He went so far back toward the middle that it caught Obama off guard in the first debate. He had lost those in the middle early and then lost those on the far right at the end. They just didn't show up and vote.

But, maybe it's because most of the American people saw through his persona and knew who he was really representing. The 47% talk he had showed the real Romney.

I think after this we will see those more moderate conservatives put up a much bigger fight with the far right in picking candidates in the future.
0 Replies