What do people talk about these days?

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:23 pm
Why is it so hard to strike up a conversation these days? Its like everyone is secluded to their own little groups and have no interests in meeting new friends.

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:45 pm
@njpchevorlet,
Sup? How 'bout them Suns?
Ceili

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:48 pm
@njpchevorlet,
People LOVE to talk about themselves. Trust me, if you can stand to listen to people talk about their favourite things, you'll be a great conversationalist in no time at all.
njpchevorlet

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:54 pm
@Ticomaya,
How 'bout 'em
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:55 pm
@njpchevorlet,
Well, tonight, for instance, they sucked.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
But they're young, and will rebound. Don't you agree?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:56 pm
@njpchevorlet,
What is your favorite Chevy? Mine is the Volt.
njpchevorlet

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:56 pm
@Ceili,
Yeah maybe that might help, how about you for example, what would someone walk up to you and say that would strike you as appealing to respond to?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:57 pm
@Ticomaya,
I've never owned a Chevy, unless you count a Buick as a Chevy, and I don't know why you would.
0 Replies

njpchevorlet

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:59 pm
@Ticomaya,
I would have to say it is my 1999 Tahoe, love the body style, 350 engine, vortec injection, aluminum heads, very strong and torquey motor.
0 Replies

njpchevorlet

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:00 am
@Ticomaya,
absolutely, theyre ranked in the top 10 for rebounds if im not mistaken.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:05 am
@njpchevorlet,
Icebreakers.. Weather, music, politics, a joke..
Once a guy walked up to me and told me I had great eyebrows.
I do, but.. that was a first. lol
I don't have a problem starting conversations. I can talk the paint off a fence post. I talk to people everywhere. Sometimes I comment on a piece of clothing, hair or jewelry people are wearing. I normally start with a complement. If I'm standing in line at the grocery, I usually apologize to the person following me, 'cause I always pick the slowest line. I normally joke that if they ever see me again, they should pick a different one.
Sports is a great equalizer, at least in the US. Football normally. It would be hockey up here. Regardless, keep practicing on complete strangers and eventually it will get easier. I used to be very shy. Now I couldn't give a damn.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:22 am
@njpchevorlet,
Not true. There are many a2kers who have met in San Francisco, Austin, Albuquerque, Houston, Chicago, New York, Boston, London, and Lippstadt.

I even met a a2ker on my last visit to Moscow. We spent the whole day together.

Last year in November, when I did a Elbe River cruise that ended in Hamburg, a2k friends from Manchester and Lippstadt joined me to spend three days together.

As a matter of fact, some of us are meeting in Austin and Houston early next month. Come if you can.

We talk about almost every subject under the sun - and the ones I participated in have always been enjoyable events.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 03:40 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
People LOVE to talk about themselves. Trust me, if you can stand to listen to people talk about their favourite things, you'll be a great conversationalist in no time at all.

Best answer right here. If you shut up and listen, everyone will think you're just the best conversationalist. Most people don't want to hear what you have to say, they want a passive audience.
jespah

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 07:22 am
@Setanta,
Talk about muffins. And Morgan Freeman. Both together, if possible.

Okay, serious answer, yes, ask people about themselves, and listen! Respond with an interest in them and what they're doing or experiencing. I have found that reacting in a positive way to negative information is often helpful, e. g. someone talking about Hurricane Sandy (it was/still is a big deal up here) and complaining about not having power for a week could be asked things like, "How did you cope? I bet that was tough. Were you able to do anything creative while you were forcibly unplugged?" You don't have to be Pollyanna, but sometimes people like to have the silver lining pointed out in a way they didn't expect.
njpchevorlet

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:36 pm
@jespah,
thanks man, that really helped.
jespah

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 03:24 pm
@njpchevorlet,
Thanks, 'cept I'm a female-type person. I realize the pink bunny costume might've thrown you off. Wink
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 03:44 pm
@jespah,
Hey Dude . . . chill . . . you look goofy in that outfit, ya know . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 07:39 pm
@Ceili,
i knew a greek girl who had an adorable eyebrow
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 07:41 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Thanks, 'cept I'm a female-type person.

have you heard the news

With the development of economy and civilization, more and more American women join in the group of career women, they have the ability of feeding themselves and their family. At the same time, women are natually shopaholic from clothing to daliy commodities.