Is Religion a type of Witchcraft?

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 12:19 pm

Maybe I have it all wrong but when I read the bible about eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil I interpret this to mean that you should not question what is right and wrong but rather believe in a spell that has been cast upon the masses.

When a person does not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil they are not able to engage in moral philosophy which seems like a type of witchcraft to me. Is the bible a book of witchcraft?

fresco

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 12:26 pm
@reasoning logic,
The two have "word magic" in common, but so do hypnosis and "solemn oaths".
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 12:29 pm
@fresco,
Hi Fresco. I had a question that I thought that you would have a good answer to but I am unable to think of it at the moment but when I am able to recall it I hope to hear your answer to it.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 12:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
One question that I can think of but it is not the one that I had in mind is "Do you think that humanity is evolving into a more moral society?

I often wonder if we are now going in the other direction. It seems to me also that it is the moral philosophers so to speak that are the Gods that slowly change the minds of the religious community and it is the religious community that is very slow to progress.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 01:43 pm
@reasoning logic,
Don't you have that backwards? Shouldn't the question be "Is witchcraft a type of religion?" (To which, of course, the answer is a resounding 'yes.')
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 02:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
No to that moral evolution. Attempted genocide persists as we speak.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224002/Entire-villages-burned-ground-Religious-groups-clash-Burma-deadly-results.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 02:25 pm
@fresco,
I seem to agree with you but I also take into consideration other expert advice as well which I do question, such as these two. I hope that these are the correct videos that I was hoping to share but I am in a rush at the moment so I am not able to proof them but if they are wrong I will post the correct ones soon.

0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 04:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Maybe I have it all wrong but when I read the bible about eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil I interpret this to mean that you should not question what is right and wrong but rather believe in a spell that has been cast upon the masses.

A book is a mirror; if an ass peers into it, you can not expect an apostle to peer out.
~ Georg Christoph Lichtenberg ~
:-)
aspvenom

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 04:29 pm
@Zarathustra,
Are you suggesting that you're the ass that peered into the bible? Cool
Zarathustra

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 09:42 pm
@aspvenom,
No just fishin’. Here let me get that hook…it look like it smarts. Love the shades, you must be da man!
aspvenom

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 09:54 pm
@Zarathustra,
Fortunately, we’re all apostles here. Wink
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:11 pm
@aspvenom,
aspvenom wrote:

Fortunately, we’re all apostles here. Wink

Not me. I'm just a missionary, carrying the Good Word to the heathen.
(Damn! Now I forgot what that word was. )
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:51 pm
@Zarathustra,
Quote:
A book is a mirror; if an ass peers into it, you can not expect an apostle to peer out.

Does this include all books such as playboy/play girl or is this only the the case with the bible?
Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:59 am
I should know better, but what the hell . . .

This is a damned stupid question, which, coming from this member, is no surprise. Religions define who are witches and what is witchcraft. The concept does not exist without the condemnation of organized religion. I'll leave it to the intelligence of those reading here to figure out why that makes this a stupid question--which means, i suspect, that so-called "reasonaing logic" won't get it.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 02:42 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Religions define who are witches and what is witchcraft. The concept does not exist without the condemnation of organized religion.

Really? I did not know this Cool Is this something that you just pulled out of your hat or do you have some evidence for this claim you are making?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:39 am
@reasoning logic,
My understanding RL is that in the supposedly perfect world of the Garden of Eden, there was no such thing as good or evil. It was only when an understanding of the two concepts arose that the world became imperfect and there was a difference between the two. In order to regain perfection we need to attain a state where the two concepts no longer exist.

Not saying that I believe any of this btw, just pointing out what I thought the story was supposed to be about.
Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:41 am
@reasoning logic,
You never have a shred of evidence for the bullshit you post. I see no reason why i should be held to a standard you consistently fail to meet. You're a ******* idiot, and i occasionally enjoy pointing it out.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 01:22 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You never have a shred of evidence for the bullshit you post. I see no reason why i should be held to a standard you consistently fail to meet.

Its OK Setanta I checked all over the web myself and was unable to find a link between religion and the origins of "witch" and I can only guess that it will be what others find as well if they try to validate your claim.

Quote:
You're a ******* idiot, and i occasionally enjoy pointing it out.

I am not the one who was making the claim you made so I'm not sure why you would be calling me the idiot. Wink
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 01:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
My understanding RL is that in the supposedly perfect world of the Garden of Eden, there was no such thing as good or evil. It was only when an understanding of the two concepts arose that the world became imperfect and there was a difference between the two.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Quote:
In order to regain perfection we need to attain a state where the two concepts no longer exist.

I think that it would take us going back to the state of mind that other animals have.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:25 pm
You looked all over the internet, huh? Liar.

The top of the hit list for witchcraft is Wikipedia. These are the opening two paragraphs:

Quote:
Witchcraft, in historical, anthropological, religious, and mythological contexts, is the use of alleged supernatural or magical powers or spells. It was widely believed in early modern Christian Europe that witches were in league with the Devil and used their powers to harm people and property. The concept of witchcraft as harmful is normally treated as a cultural ideology, a means of explaining human misfortune by blaming it either on a supernatural entity or a known person in the community.[1] Since the mid-20th century "bad" and "good" witchcraft are increasingly distinguished, the latter often involving healing.

Beliefs in witchcraft, and resulting witch-hunts, existed in many cultures worldwide and still exist in some today, mostly in Sub-Saharan Africa (e.g. the witch smellers in Bantu culture). Historically these beliefs were notable in Early Modern Europe of the 14th to 18th century, where witchcraft came to be seen as a vast diabolical conspiracy against Christianity and accusations of witchcraft led to large-scale witch-hunts, especially in Germanic Europe.