Where have all the Carols gone?

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:11 pm
Within spitting distance of my house I have friends named Susan, Suzie, and Suzanne.

Four Nancys can hear my dog bark.

Within 2 minutes I can walk to the houses of three different Karens.

It's funny to me because at certain points in my life I've had very best friends named Susan, Nancy, and Karen and they only represent three of the dozens of Susans and Nancys and Karens I went to school with or worked with or otherwise counted among my peers.

But I never run across a Carol or Laura and not very many Dianes --two other names that were very common as I was growing up. Maybe regional differences account for this.

I know names fall in and out of fashion. Mo knows a kajillion Aidens and Jacks and Austins but only one John and no Davids or Brians or Bruces.

What names define your generation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,758 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:46 pm
Maria, Lisa, Jennifer, Debbie.. Brian, Dan(ny, iel,) Robert and Tony.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:05 am
@boomerang,
I view Jack as a nickname for John. Maybe, though, people are being named/baptized Jack?

I've a friend/acquaintance here named Carol, a few miles away. And Diane of a2k is nearby, but she wasn't born here. Don't know if Carol was. An Ann lives next to Diane; think she was born here or close enough. I've a Nicole and a Trish (Patricia) on either side of my place. Nicole may be on the outs with Gary. Nicole has a young nephew named Joshua. Christopher and Tom live down the way. Soledad used to live across the street. I still am in touch with Carol Sue, always called Sue, and Susan. My realtor was Suzanne (from an old new mexico family).

I don't know many kids here. In my family in California, there is a Caitlin and a Kaylee..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:40 am
i know a couple of carol's

one older one younger

i'm trying to think of names that define my generation

one name that sticks out is shirley, i went to school with a shirley and haven't heard the name since or met any girl under 50 with the name

i hate the trend of alternate spellings, i was reading an article a few days ago about grey cup (canadian superbowl) part foods and a football player was talking about his family celebrations that included his sons justyce and lyncoln
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:10 pm
Blond girl: "Hello. My name is Excel." ((curtsies)) Very Happy
Blond boy: "Hello Excel." Confused ((punches girl in the stomach))
Blond girl named Excel: (((sobs))) "WHY?!" Crying or Very sad
Blond (now a bully) boy: "Excel? You smell. And you have a stupid name!" Surprised

Ladies and gentlemen? Some of the stupidest names given to babies in 2012!
http://www.babycenter.com/0_unusual-baby-names-of-2012_10375911.bc
THE MORAL OF THIS LONG STORY?? We could have prevented this act of violence. Don't name your child after a data analysis and virtualization tool softwareprogram!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:24 pm
@boomerang,
Susan was definitely THE name of my generation and neighbourhood. There were 4 of them in my Grade 5 class - the entire class, boys and girls, totalled 26.

So whatta we got around here? Julie, Martha, Jenyth, Monica (lots of Monica's in the 25 - 30 set), T(h)eresa, Adelaide, Indira, Ivana, Lisa, Michelle, Lily, Danielle (a handful of them), Tirzah, Tracy (a bunch of them in the 35 - 40 group), Cori, Valerie, Marie-Claude, Jacqueline, Jennifer, Kelly, Dawn, Marian, Karen, Renee, Eileen, Sarah, Heather, Cindy (my generation), several varieties of Kristin/Christine etc etc in the 45+ troupe.

No Susans on this floor or in this week's work emails.
0 Replies