My thoughts on being "gay" remember my thoughts /feelings

9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 02:36 am
I am a very happily married straight male and have been "straight " all my life although as a result of my childhood for a while i had sexual identity issues, anyway i can understand WHY someone is gay but the WHAT makes them gay well the jury is still out on that one, i will be very blunt i think it's unacceptable to be gay both male/female alike because when you get right down to it the kids are the ones who suffer most, they get teased " you're mothers gay ha ha " "you're daddy's a fag " think about it they're the ones who go off to school and have to suffer for their parents choices and yet we all have to accept it and most are afraid to speak up for fear of further pain, and yes i know we all have choices but sometimes those choices effects other people and i won't even mention when the same sex couple goes out with their kid(s) somewhere and people pass judgment on them with remarks, so it never ends and its a vicious cycle, yes we ALL deserve to be happy but where does it stop, where does the cycle end to where the kids are not subjected to parents choices, the kids didn't asked for this nor did they ask to be brought into a world where it is very confusing when clearly it doesn't need to be but yet it sure is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 15,927 • Replies: 134

djjd62

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:39 am
@9one1,
given your opening statement

9one1 wrote:
I am a very happily married straight male and have been "straight " all my life although as a result of my childhood for a while i had sexual identity issues

me thinks thou doth protest too much Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:49 am
@9one1,
Studies indicate that children of gay parents do just as well as children of straight parents.

There are a few kids who have gay parents in my community, they're all doing fine.

Not to mention that the "choice" to live as a straight person if you're actually gay (not saying you are, but that's what your post is about) often leads to misery for not only the closeted person but his wife and kids.

It's much, much more important IMO to continue to work on attitudes towards gay people (much has improved, much more movement is needed) so that it's as neutral to have gay parents as it is to have red-headed parents or left-handed parents.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:55 am
growing up poor is probably harder on kids than anything else

a few studies i've seen over the years indicate that same sex couples are often quite monetarily comfortable

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:58 am
Gay dudes having wild monkey sex with each other makes Baby Jesus cry.
djjd62

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:01 am
@Setanta,
he probably never got over those shitty gifts he got at birth

i mean gold, sure, but frankincense and myrrh, come on
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:02 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

I am a very happily married straight male and have been "straight " all my life although as a result of my childhood for a while i had sexual identity issues, anyway i can understand WHY someone is gay but the WHAT makes them gay well the jury is still out on that one, i will be very blunt i think it's unacceptable to be gay both male/female alike because when you get right down to it the kids are the ones who suffer most, they get teased " you're mothers gay ha ha " "you're daddy's a fag " think about it they're the ones who go off to school and have to suffer for their parents choices and yet we all have to accept it and most are afraid to speak up for fear of further pain, and yes i know we all have choices but sometimes those choices effects other people and i won't even mention when the same sex couple goes out with their kid(s) somewhere and people pass judgment on them with remarks, so it never ends and its a vicious cycle, yes we ALL deserve to be happy but where does it stop, where does the cycle end to where the kids are not subjected to parents choices, the kids didn't asked for this nor did they ask to be brought into a world where it is very confusing when clearly it doesn't need to be but yet it sure is.

Unacceptable?… unacceptable?

Holy **** in a basket flowing down the river Styx…
FIRSTLY, the jury is IN, being gay is NOT a choice- its biological. Aka, an evolutionary trait deemed worthy to pass down from generations to the next (thusly why you can’t just kill off all the gays and problem solved they won’t teach it to others- sarcasm), do some goddamn research before spewing such fallacious garbage.

And to get to the meat and potatoes of your proffered proposition, WOW. So instead of teaching kids acceptance and harmony, you plan on just cultivating a society based off accepted social norms by means of a popularity contest? To force people to live by your standards on the face of saving children’s feelings? (PS: Kids will always bully others in the near future, for any reason whatsoever, you know what they can do- GET OVER IT AND GROW THE **** UP)*. Your priorities are backwards, and its people with your line of thinking that slow the process of progress to a happier environment for ALL- not the majority. Hate mongering is not a right to be used by anyone, people are gay get over it accept it as normal life move the **** on… I close with the reiteration that its people like YOU and YOUR mindset, that subject kids to the parents choices (*cough* religion *cough*) the kids didn’t ask for this, nor did they ask to be brought into a world where it is very confusing when clearly it doesn’t need to be, but it is…

*And I understand that’s not always an acceptable option for some, I’m speaking here vaguely on general ‘bullying’ that happens to everyone growing up.*

PS: I hate when people hide behind kids, using them to make a point for their own self indulgent, misleading notions- in the words of George Carlin, RIP (Resurrect If Possible), “**** the children!”
djjd62

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:06 am
@Telamon,
i love that this dude had the never to say this on another of his threads

9one1 wrote:
the longer i am a member of this site the faster i'm realizing some of the members here are quite opinionated.
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:10 am
@djjd62,
Indeed, but I think everyone is on some topic or another. Some just have more topics, and more still feel strongly about them. And it’s a forum board , isn’t the point here to learn and gain new perspectives (aka opinions)? Wink
djjd62

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:14 am
@Telamon,
of course they do, it's just a little pot meets kettle of 9one1 to point it out

one of my previous sigs (stolen from twitter) dealt with the appropriate use of opinion

Opinions are like assholes: make sure you scrub yours real good before showing it to a roomful of people
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:14 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

I am a very happily married straight male

With a Gay leather flag as his avatar. Cool
jcboy

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:44 am
http://www.advocate.com/society/modern-families/2012/10/22/study-says-kids-are-all-right-gay-or-straight-parents

Quote:
Children who are adopted after being in foster care do equally well whether the adoptive parents are gay, lesbian, or straight, according to a new study.

Psychologists from the University of California, Los Angeles, evaluated 82 high-risk children adopted from foster care in Los Angeles County, of whom 60 were placed with heterosexual parents and 22 with gay or lesbian parents. The researchers assessed the children at three points after their placement with the families: two months, one year, and two years.

“On average, children in both household types showed significant gains in cognitive development and maintained similar levels of behavior problems over time, despite gay and lesbian parents raising children with higher levels of biological and environmental risks prior to adoptive placement,” the psychologists wrote in the study, published in the October issue of the American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. “Results demonstrated that high-risk children show similar patterns of development over time in heterosexual and gay and lesbian adoptive households.” On average, the children’s IQ scores increased by 10 points.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:50 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

... when you get right down to it the kids are the ones who suffer most, they get teased " you're mothers gay ha ha " "you're daddy's a fag " think about it they're the ones who go off to school and have to suffer for their parents choices ...

Wow, so parents shouldn't choose to be poor or Hispanic or overweight or take less popular occupations like garbage collector, right? Social policy by middle school popularity - sounds like a great way to make moral decisions.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:56 am
take it from a woman...

you need periods.

In your paragraphs that is..
Ragman

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:06 am
@9one1,
I will be very blunt I think it's unacceptable to be dumb as a bag of rocks.

Teasing of all sorts will go on between children. Kids grow up and out of that and hopefully develop coping skills and learned to deal with conflict.
Here's a polite suggestion: perhaps you might benefit by taking a few psychology courses.

I was teased a bit as a child so I developed a sarcastic, funny ability for comebacks. When on occasion bullies bothered me, I learned to defend myself. I used my smarts mostly to defeat or win over those that bothered me.

Why would it be any different for a child who has gay parents?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:13 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

I am a very happily married straight male <snip>

they get teased

<snip>

yet we all have to accept it and most are afraid to speak up

<snip>

people pass judgment on them with remarks,

<snip>

but where does it stop

where does it stop?

it stops with you. you're apparently an adult. don't stand by when people pass judgment with remarks. don't stand by when kids are teased.

behave like an adult and don't accept it when people are judgmental. speak up. tell them that it's not acceptable to behave like that.

that's where it stops.

that's how YOU stop it.
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:16 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3XeRCAAkZY

F* the Children
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:36 am
@Telamon,
Wow you are cold and callous, perhaps honest but cold and callous nonetheless.
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:41 am
@jcboy,
Gay leather flag ! ! hey BOY most people know what that is, it's called the "Thin blue line" of law enforcement ! ! but i guess you're entitled to your opinion.