Two bad moments for Romney in second debate

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 06:53 am
The talk of who won the debate is a bit amusing, the the more important question is who will win the the election. There were two moments from the 2nd debate last night that made me (as an Obama supporter) feel good.

The first was the "Binders of Women" moment. It is a memorable line, but more importantly the question was about what Mitt would do as president to ensure equality for women in the workplace. "Binders of women" is not just a funny phrase, these three words illustrate perfectly the Romney campaigns inability to address these issues.

The second was the immigration question. To be honest, I don't know how Romney could have answered this question well given the tightrope walk he is trying to perform between the right and Hispanic voters. To the people whose votes could be swayed on this issue (independent Hispanics) he pushed in the wrong directly. Obama had an easy time bringing up "self-deportation", Kris Kobach and the Arizona law, all things that are viewed very negatively in the Hispanic community which Romney had no answer to.

Women and Hispanics are two very important demographics in this election. I think these two moments, more than any others, in last nights debate will have a real impact on the decisions of voters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 5,626 • Replies: 59

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 07:00 am
@maxdancona,
Max, both guys had their "good moments"...and both had moments where being somewhere else was the better alternative.

Obama definitely had a better night than the first debate...and in my opinion (I'm a strong Obama supporter) got the better of the "debate."

No matter which of these guys wins...the economy will not get appreciably better during the next four years...and may very well get much, much worse. The need for hitting rock bottom now seems inevitable before the corrections that will make things better can be made. (Those corrections involve systemic changes to the system!)

If I truly had to pick a winner, though, it would be Candy Crowley.
Below viewing threshold (view)
maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 07:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
How about some specifics Frank? I think the two moments I describe will have a real impact on the election by impacting important demographics. In other words, these two moments can change important votes in key demographics.

Do you have any other specific moments that you feel rise to this level?
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 07:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
No matter which of these guys wins...the economy will not get appreciably better during the next four years...and may very well get much, much worse. The need for hitting rock bottom now seems inevitable before the corrections that will make things better can be made. (Those corrections involve systemic changes to the system!)

Huh? The system, as far as the Stock Market is concerned is just fine and dandy, thank you very much. May I remind you that after dropping over 200o points in Oct 2008 down to 8451.19 the Dow is now at a toasty 13,551. There is slow but steady job growth (26 months in a row) and a slow but steady reduction in housing forclosures:
http://www.thenichereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Active-Foreclosure-Chart-Thru-2012.jpg

We have already been to the bottom, Frank. What factors do you see as causing an "Inevitable" need for the economy to crater again?

Joe(Cheer up!)Nation
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 07:43 am
@H2O MAN,
If you can't find a good responce, Waterdude, kill the messenger.

Rap
maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 08:22 am
@raprap,
Raprap,

Please don't feed the trolls.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 08:37 am
@maxdancona,
Romney's big mistake was to keep pushing the vapid Benghazi gotcha attack when this only played into Obama's strongest moment, the sincere anger he expressed at the political attack.

I think both Obama and Romney were coming on a little strong overall (lots of bickering) but this will cancel each other out and in the end I think Obama has the overall edge, even though Romney put in another solid debate performance.

I don't think it will move the needle as much as their last debate but few debates can do so and the regression to the mean was already starting before last night's debate. This will just ensure that Obama's late slide has halted.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 08:45 am
@Robert Gentel,
Protip: If you're in a debate, and your opponent says "please continue," you might be about to make an ass out of yourself.
jcboy

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 09:02 am
It sure will be nice when the site implements the new block feature, we won’t have to see H20Clowns childish photo’s he’s always posting.

As of now its 68% Obama and 31% Mittens.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/10/16/who-won-the-second-presidential-debate-vote-hofstra-university/
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 09:23 am
@jcboy,
Um, Ignore works just fine for me.

Joe(I have to click on his posts to see them, which I don't.)Nation
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 10:12 am
I have a button that scrolls past the bs that I know will be posted by the trolls. Dont need an ignore function.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 10:37 am

http://static.selfdeprecate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/romney-binder-of-women.jpg
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 11:09 am

LOL!!

Have you seen Bill Clinton's binder for women?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 11:55 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
Binders full of women 432 up, 131 down

October 17, 2012 Urban Word of the Day
Where Mitt Romney gets his women from
EXAMPLE:
Joe: Bit of a sausagefest we've got going on here, we need to find some ladies!

Mitt: Not to worry, I've got binders full of women we can choose from!

KEYWORDS:
mitt romney mitt romney binders women girls traper keeper obama presidential debate
by laleph Oct 16, 2012

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Binders%20full%20of%20women&defid=6791887
0 Replies