How many hen's eggs should we eat a day?

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:18 am
How many hen's eggs should we eat a day? I have been told by a doctor practising Chinese medicine that I should eat two eggs a day.

I wonder whether eating two eggs a day is bad for my heatlh and if they will add to my colesterol level.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 3,987 • Replies: 23
Topic Closed

Setanta

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:25 am
I believe the consensus of nutritionists in the west is that eggs are not good for you, primarily because of the egg yolk (the yellow part in the center). The egg yolk is very high in cholestertol. It also contains a great many valuable nutrients. I heard a gentleman interviewed on the radio who was so concerned about the cholesterol content of eggs that he advised eating no more than one a week. I think he represents one extreme, and your friend in China represents the other extreme. Perhaps the balance of wisdom would lie in between. Maybe eat no more than one egg a day.

That being said, i love eggs. I'd be happy to eat three or four a day. I recognize that that is extreme, and would not be healthy for me. Alas, The Girl would not let me do it.
tsarstepan

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:28 am
@tanguatlay,
Two eggs would be fine if you remove the egg yolk which is the source of the cholesterol.

This article seems to indicate that six whole eggs per week (not quite an egg a day) is perfectly fine but at rates of seven or more per week then there is a concern about cholesterol and raising of the risk for heart disease.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/ask-a-health-expert/how-many-eggs-should-i-eat-in-a-week/article573714/
Region Philbis

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:29 am
@Setanta,

it's pretty easy to separate out the yolk.
eating just egg whites is a lot healthier...
Enzo

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:31 am
@tanguatlay,
Two eggs a day intuitevly seems unhealthy. I eat, on average, five eggs a week. I'm sure if you are active, porportionally to what you eat, then you'll be fine.
tsarstepan

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:34 am
@Enzo,
I guess I eat about 2 eggs every other weekend and that's usually it for me. So maybe 4 eggs in a month total. But I'm keeping an eye on my cholesterol.
0 Replies

jcboy

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:41 am
@Region Philbis,
It really is! I like egg whites, very high in protein. I don’t care for the yolks much.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I heard a gentleman interviewed on the radio who was so concerned about the cholesterol content of eggs that he advised eating no more than one a week. I think he represents one extreme, and your friend in China represents the other extreme. Perhaps the balance of wisdom would lie in between. Maybe eat no more than one egg a day.
Thanks, Setanta. The person who advised to eat two eggs a day is a doctor who practices Chinese medicine. She treated me for my frequent colds and told me that eggs, including the yolk part, are good for health. It surprised me to learn that because I always thought that eggs were high in cholesterol.
edgarblythe

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:59 am
One should eat no more eggs than one can lift off of the floor in a day's time.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:00 pm
@tanguatlay,
Eggs are high in cholesterol. Maybe your doctor is more worried about your protein intake then your present cholesterol level. Eggs are a really cheap way as a source for protein. Are you anemic perhaps?
Setanta

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
The Girl buys little cartons (pint size) of egg whites, and then uses about a third cup to equal one large egg.
tanguatlay

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Eggs are high in cholesterol. Maybe your doctor is more worried about your protein intake then your present cholesterol level. Eggs are a really cheap way as a source for protein. Are you anemic perhaps?
Thanks, tsarstepan. I am not.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:10 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
eating just egg whites is a lot healthier...

nope

egg whites are protein-dense, which can create another whole set of medical problems

gotta be careful with those egg whites
tsarstepan

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:13 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth is so intolerant! So proteincist! Mad
ehBeth

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Two eggs would be fine if you remove the egg yolk which is the source of the cholesterol.

there is good and bad cholesterol. it is dangerous to simply think of cholesterol as a problem

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hdl-cholesterol/CL00030

Omega 3 eggs. My preferred weapon.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Omega-3-Eggs-Eat-Yolks-104635

disclaimer: I don't like eggs.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:15 pm
@ehBeth,

eating just egg whites is a lot healthier... than eating the entire contents of an egg, is what i meant...
ehBeth

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:16 pm
@Setanta,
Most of those cartons are whole egg. I do buy the egg white ones on occasion - and then drop whole eggs into the mix.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
eating just egg whites is a lot healthier... than eating the entire contents of an egg, is what i meant...

still a nope

if you're not going to eat the whole egg, just don't bother with eggs
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

ehBeth is so intolerant! So proteincist! Mad

you're not kidding. I've seen what happens to some folks who went the Atkins route. It wasn't nice from a medical perspective.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-protein-diets/AN00847
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:37 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
a doctor practising Chinese medicine
lol

two of my fave hens:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9x1vS5omFpfyKnBUBuGnsqnO4IUkCvvLXMEeVVb7QAXm9129M

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLtDa2Uv7p22Fo8yo25yDzBpxeVyJUPx2hB3kc5DVN-mOcR9IkCA

a preprandial chilled vodka and caviar before some mother and child main?
0 Replies