Members from the UK what is this vote of Scotland about?

BillRM

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 10:44 am
Just hear something over the news channel that Scotland is now voting on whether to break away from it 300 plus years union with England so what is going on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,525 • Replies: 20

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 12:12 pm
@BillRM,
Scotland isn't voting now.
Prime Minister Cameron and First Minister Salmond made a deal, setting out terms for a Scottish independence referendum.

The referendum has been talked about since 2007, when the Scottish National Party won the elections.

The referendum will have a single Yes/No question on Scotland leaving the United Kingdom.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 12:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Some infos about "How an independent Scotland would look"
BillRM

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 12:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank for the information but I was looking more for the why of it, as Scotland had been part of the UK for over a hundred years longer then the US had been a country so why the possible divorce now?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 12:34 pm

I thawt the King of Scotland
inherited England.

David
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 02:11 pm
@BillRM,
Because some Scottish nationalists like some Catalan nationalists or those in Walloon want to get independence.
Tryagain

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:58 pm
I thawt I taw a puddy tat a krepin up on me
I did I taw a puddy tat as plane as he cud be!
Devyde an konker; polliktecal ijets.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 05:46 pm

Early polling results on the question of independence ?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Because some Scottish nationalists like some Catalan nationalists or those in Walloon want to get independence.

You would think with 300 plus years there would be so must intermarriages and moving from one section of the UK to the others that Scottish nationalists that feel they are Scottish first and UK citizens second would long ago be a thing of the past.

Just as now no one or hardly anyone think of him or herself in the US as a citizen of some state within the US first and a US citizen second.

That got burned out of us in the first hundred years or so.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 08:27 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You would think with 300 plus years there would be so must intermarriages and moving from one section of the UK to the others that Scottish nationalists that feel they are Scottish first and UK citizens second would long ago be a thing of the past.
I don't think that this has anything at all to do with it. It's about independence.

Oh, and there is neither a Scottish nor a UK citizenship: they are all British citizens, those citizens of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 08:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
don't think that this has anything at all to do with it. It's about independence.

There something missing here in my understanding as they have home rule similar to having states governments under the US federal system and I can not see New York state or Texas or whatever asking to become an independence nation.

The only such movement that I am aware of currently is a small fringe one in Alaska for independent.

Could it be a movement to keep their oil wealth to themselves a driving factor in the very small independent movement in Alaska.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:20 am

What r the chances of Independence winning the referendum ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:22 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
don't think that this has anything at all to do with it. It's about independence.

There something missing here in my understanding as they have home rule similar to having states governments under the US federal system and I can not see New York state or Texas or whatever asking to become an independence nation.
Like Texas never did that, right ?
BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

David I already stated that people viewing their state as being of first priority
over the national government got burn out of us within the first hundreds years or so.

Scotland had been part of England for over 300 years now and that is a long time for the people living in Scotland not to consider themselves part of their national government.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:25 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Scotland had been part of England for over 300 years now and that is a long time for the people living in Scotland not to consider themselves part of their national government.
Well, Estonia, for instance, had been part of Russia for 300 years as well. Luxembourg is another interesting example. ... ... ...

By the way: the national government of Scotland is in Edinburgh, since 1999. But that wasn't your question,isn't it?

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 12:26 pm
@BillRM,

Quote:
BillRM wrote:
David I already stated that people viewing their state as being of first priority
over the national government got burn out of us within the first hundreds years or so.

I doubt that.
The Scotch have their own accent; probably their own ways.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 01:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

In sports, Scotland has own national teams (as have Wales, England and Northern Ireland)
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 03:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

An people from Texas does not?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:24 pm
@BillRM,

DAVID wrote:
BillRM wrote:
An people from Texas does not?
Yes; not as much.

David
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 11:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Scots is mostly regarded as one of the ancient varieties of English, with own distinct dialects. Many other scholars, however, see Scots as a distinct Germanic language, in the way Norwegian is closely linked to - yet distinct from - Danish.