I know nobody cares, but.......

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:25 pm
I have given this a lot of thought, and have studied this as much as possible.

I have come to the conclusion that I cannot, in good conscience, support Mitt Romney for president.
While I agree with a few of his beliefs, and while I disagree with most of his beliefs, I just can't reconcile his more idiotic statements with anything I believe.

This is not to say that I support Obama, it just means that I disagree with him less than I disagree with Romney.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 7,655 • Replies: 119

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:30 pm
@mysteryman,
MM, I do not agree with a good many things about the Obama administration, but to me he is the only real choice out there. I applaud your open mind on the election.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:32 pm
@mysteryman,
That's the problem with this election (and most of the recent elections) -- we all end up voting for the person we consider to be the least objectionable candidate. They're all objectinable but whom do you hate the least??? It's sad but true. Like you, I plan to vote for Obama. I'm not a whole-hearted Obama supporter. He's just less of a jerk than Romney. Marginally. It's sad, really.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I for one outright like Obama even though I disagree with some of his more atrocious policies

Also he should get a further chance; one term isn't enough to accomplish much
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:43 pm
@mysteryman,
It's a tough call.

I can't imagine who I'd be able to vote for as president in the U.S. Neither of the two major party candidates is palatable to me.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:46 pm
Gary Johnson! Cool

I'm encouraged by your admission, MM. And I disagree that nobody cares. The only reason we have unacceptable candidates coming out of the primary process is that not enough people care. Good for you and thanks for your post.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:19 pm
i think everyone, everywhere, should vote for Tuxedo Stan

http://www.thecoast.ca/binary/2127/Tuxedo_Stan.jpg
engineer

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:28 pm
@mysteryman,
If I may ask, what was the straw that broke the camel's back?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:32 pm
@djjd62,
Great poster, deege.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, and mysteryman, we have different politics but I generally like your postings as well spoken. I'm not for either guy for my own reasons, but Romney scares me more than Obama.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:45 pm
Personally, I think if Obama grows a backbone he could do some real good. I'm also hoping that in a second term the Republicans will give up on trying to make him look bad and start compromising to get some much needed work done. I think many Republican voters are just going to stay home in protest over the pair that has been chosen to represent their points of view. I have yet to meet a Republican who is truly happy with their candidates. It's like when Dukakis was the candidate and Democrats either held their proverbial nose when voting or just opted out.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Not me, but you already know that. I'm looking back at Obama's record when he knew he was going to stand for reelection. I'm not eager to find out what happens when he doesn't have to worry about voters.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:29 pm
@roger,
What exactly are you afraid of? Personally, I'll be happy if our government doesn't invade any more countries, stops giving tax breaks to CEO's, makes corporations responsible for the damage they due to the property of the American people and actually create polices to help the middle class afford health coverage and send their children to college. I would put my money on Obama doing these things rather than Romney, but maybe we have different values.
MMarciano

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:40 pm
I’m not happy with everything Obama has done but I cannot in good conscience vote for Romney.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:14 pm
I will vote for Romney in good conscience, because, in my opinion, under Obama style Democratic administrations, a time will come when there will be no more wealth to spread around (aka, economic entropy), and then the only way to raise money might be to start selling land. In that scenario, the U.S. could be bought up by foreign investors, and then the U.S., as our parents knew it, will be just part of history.

Actually, in more ways than one, since the demographics of this country may ultimately lead to a one party system. Will that be a democracy? The masses might not even care, if they get their bread and circuses?
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:42 pm
It's interesting that in this thread starting post, not one single example was given.
MMarciano

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:47 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

It's interesting that in this thread starting post, not one single example was given.

So give one.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:50 pm
@Green Witch,
Lemme see

Banks were bailed out, and maybe with good reason. Banks that didn't apply were strongly encourged to do so. Since they were working on government money, it was deemed appropriate that government should excercize control over executive compensation. Fine so far. Then, it was discovered that that provision was applied retroactively to all who applied for assistance - even those who had been sucked in before that provision was created. Sounds like ex post facto law to me.

More recently, what might be called the Dream Act by executive fiat. I very much supported the original Dream Act, and wish it had been passed by Congress. It is Congress that passes laws, isn't it?

Appointments (NLRB) if I recall while the Senate was in recess - but the Senate wasn't really in recess, was it?

In all cases, and there were many more that don't come to mind at the moment, all his actions are for what Obama wants, without regard to law or procedure. I have a loss of faith in the government because of all such actions, and I'm not alone. Well, I may be alone on a2k.

Green Witch

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:51 pm
@Foofie,
Hey, if Denmark or Finland buys us up I'm in!

(Really, Foofie, you really need to learn something about economics, but I know it's hopeless.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:52 pm
@Brandon9000,
I'll start : 47%.

Joe(pompous idiot)Nation