Can one make blood orange wine? (merely a thought experiment for now)

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 04:23 pm
Just curious. Can one make homemade wine out of blood oranges? I looked to see the recipe of homemade wine and each recipe's list includes frozen juice concentrate. Since I don't believe there is such thing as blood orange juice concentrate. At least not here in NYC. (I guess maybe Whole Foods or some foodie paradise)....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 4,239 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 04:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't know - maybe Izzythepush would. I surmise though that one could make the equivalent of limoncello liqueur.
I happen to treasure blood oranges, and also meyer lemons. Sigh.
But this involves just the skin of the oranges or lemons and I don't know if the peel of blood oranges tastes any different than the peel of regular oranges.

recipe anyway - http://pmitchell.typepad.com/vox/
http://able2know.org/topic/134715-1
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 04:35 pm
@ossobuco,

You mean instead of lemons, to marinate the blood orange in the booze of choice?
roger

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 04:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm pretty sure you can make 'wine' out of just about anything, as long as you add the right amount of sugar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:08 pm
A wine to match the color of the eyes.
0 Replies

Zeke

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have a Steam juice extracter which I use to extract the juice from cherry plums, and use the pure juice extract to make wine.
You could maybe extract the juice from the blood oranges yourself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
The peel, not the whole orange - that's for the liqueur (see the link).

I don't know about making wine with the whole orange or part of it. I have always thought wine had to do with grapes, but Izzy makes wine out of berries, if I remember right.

edit - - And now I see Zeke knows how to make wine with juice..
hmm, plum wine, is that the same as sake?
Ragman

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Wine is not just made from grapes. Dessert wine is made from many different fruits. I don't like the taste (too sweet generally), but its holds it's place on shelves of many liquor stores. FWIW, there's pineapple wine, and of course, Italian families have been making dandelion wine for centuries.

Sake is a ferment made from fermented rice. Generally, it's 15-18% alcohol, which I understand they dillute it down to around 15% when they ship it.

Plum wine is another fruit wine (popular in Korea, japan and china), but not connected to sake in any way that I know of.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:26 pm
It's interesting that you brought up the subject of blood orange, because I was recently in Italy, and they served blood orange juice at most of our breakfast buffets.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oranges are very good for wine as they don't need a great deal extra like flower wines, or enzymes to remove pectin like plums. You just need sugar and nutrient. I've got a recipe for an orange and wheat wine or a plain orange wine if you're interested. I'm going to bed in a minute, so it will have to be tomorrow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:37 pm
@Ragman,
Ok, that's where I've seen it, in the japanese section...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 06:21 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

hmm, plum wine, is that the same as sake?

Plum wine is my drink of choice these past couple of months. Plum wine is white wine with plum flavoring/plums marinated in it. Drinking a glass right now.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 06:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
and when you get older, you can drink prune wine...
aspvenom

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 07:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Never!! I'll die in style with Smirnoff in one hand, and a hoe in the other.

(And yes, not a ho)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 08:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Plum wine is wine made from plums, at least mine is. Slivovitz is something else entirely. I bought a load when I was in Prague, but it's not easy to get hold of in the UK. I do have a bottle I managed to get hold of in Amsterdam last month though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Various_Bottles_of_Slivovitz.jpg/250px-Various_Bottles_of_Slivovitz.jpg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 09:53 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Can one make blood orange wine?

Of course you can. You can make wine out of everything with sugar in it, and blood oranges have plenty of sugar in them. Fermenting it may give you pretty sour-tasting wine because blood oranges have a lot of acid in them. But it will give you wine.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 10:09 am
@Thomas,
Thanks Thomas. Hmmm.... I like sour stuff. I wonder if sour wine is as good as it sounds.... Razz
0 Replies

Zeke

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 12:07 pm
@Thomas,
pH isn't a big problem, as it can be controlled. I control the pH range as necessary using KHCO3 to de-acidify and tartaric acid to decrease pH.
0 Replies