How to clean my sterling silver locket?

Fri 28 Sep, 2012 03:02 am
I've noticed that it's started to tarnish just a little bit if I look closely. How do I clean it or polish it off?

msolga

Fri 28 Sep, 2012 03:28 am
@russellmark85,
Russell, you seem to be obsessed with cleaning jewelery! Wink
I'll bet there's a good, cheap home remedy that involves not having to purchase anything at all. (peroxide? )
And no spam here, either! Very Happy
Off to Google with you!
0 Replies

WendyLou

Fri 28 Sep, 2012 03:41 am
@russellmark85,
You won't believe how easy it is. Get a cereal bowl, pop the necklace into the bowl, spray with Nifty cleaner (I hope wherever you live you can purchase this) and then add a little hot water. Clean with a toothbrush. Rinse and dry with a soft cloth, then use a silver polishing cloth for extra shine. Good jeweller's tip. It also cleans diamonds and precious stones, other than opals or pearls. Great for cleanng pandora bracelets, same method.
msolga

Fri 28 Sep, 2012 03:47 am
@WendyLou,
Good on you WendyLou!

Toothpaste is good for cleaning fiddly silver jewelry, too.
With a tooth brush (an old one, I mean - not your good one. Wink ) to get into the nooks & crannies.
Then just rinse off with water.
Someone told me that on an A2K thread a long time ago. And it works!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 28 Sep, 2012 07:11 am
@russellmark85,
Russell, why are you wearing a locket? whose photos have you got in it?
0 Replies

MatinJohn

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 07:56 pm
@russellmark85,
Hello Community,

Sterling silver is a popular alloy used in the creation of jewelry. Locket made with sterling silver studs are especially common because they are often inexpensive, and complement most gemstones. It only takes a few uses for the shiny metallic to begin to dull, and after many wearings, the earrings may appear tarnished. You can hire a professional jeweler to clean your sterling silver lockets; however, there is a simple technique that anyone can do in their own home, with ingredients that you likely have on hand. Here are some instructions for cleaning sterling silver jewelery.

1. Place sterling silver locket in a plastic bowl.
2. Mix 1 tbsp. baking soda and 1 cup warm water in a second plastic bowl.
3. Pour the baking soda mixture over the earrings, and allow them to soak for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the locket from the mixture, and scrub any remaining spots away with a soft bristle brush.
5. Run cool water over the earrings to rinse away any remaining baking soda mixture.
6. Wipe the locket dry with a soft cloth, or allow them to air dry on the cloth.

Best Ragards,
Matin John
0 Replies

bestonlinefashion

Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:11 am
@WendyLou,
Silver jewellery is very beautiful and durable.You should take care when cleaning this type of jewellery.Most cleaners contain harsh chemicals which I think not a good option for your assets.Just simply take a simple clean piece of cloth and wash it with mild solution of alcohol.That is enough.
0 Replies

jackmartin0609

Wed 23 Oct, 2013 05:55 pm
@russellmark85,
Use a silver polishing cloth to remove oxidation from silver. Tissues and paper towels can cause scratches. Never clean your jewelry in bleach! or never use toothpaste or other abrasives
0 Replies

Anna Jacky

Mon 4 Nov, 2013 09:57 pm
@russellmark85,
I can tell you one of the most simple way,Soaked with cola will make it shiny again, as just bought the same,I had a silver ring is to do so, the effect is great!
0 Replies

Lesliechang

Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:28 am
- Rub article with toothpaste and soft cloth. Rinse with warm water & dry it.
- Place cut-up aluminum foil in jar with water, add about 1 table spoon salt, mix. Place article in solution for 5-15 minutes. Remove and rub with soft cloth.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How to clean my sterling silver locket?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:21:25