Yom Kippur 2012: The Day Of Atonement Explained

jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:33 pm
The Sabbaths of all Sabbaths

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/yom-kippur-2012-day-of-atonement-explained

Quote:
Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement, is observed in 2012 from sundown Sept. 25 to nightfall Sept. 26. The Hebrew date for Yom Kippur is 9-10 Tishrei 5773.

The Day of Atonement -- also known as the Sabbath of Sabbaths -- is the most important day of the Jewish year. More people go to temple on Yom Kippur than any other holiday.

Yom Kippur marks the end of the Days of Awe, a 10-day period of teshuvah (literally "return," commonly understood as repentance) that begins with Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.

During the Days of Awe, Jews seeks forgiveness from friends, family and co-workers, a process that begins with Tashlich, the symbolic casting off of sins that is traditionally observed on the afternoon of Rosh Hashanah by throwing bread into a body of water. On Yom Kippur, Jews attempt to mend their relationships with God. This is done partly by reciting the Vidui, a public confession of sins.

The holiday has the most extensive prayer schedule of the Hebrew calendar and arduous abstinence from food, drink, animal-based clothing and sexual intimacy. Communal prayers for Yom Kippur begin with Kol Nidre, a legal document that is hauntingly chanted and emotionally charged. The Book of Jonah is read during the afternoon prayer service on Yom Kippur day. The Day of Atonement is the only Jewish holiday that includes a fifth prayer service, called Ne'ilah, which is a final plea of repentance before the gates of heaven are said to close. The Ne'ilah service precedes the shofar blowing and the end of the fast.

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:42 pm
And it's a day to apologize to all we have wronged, whether intentionally or inadvertently or even if we don't know that we have even done so.

And so, my apology, to all of A2K, for any wrongs I have committed against any of you.
jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:08 pm
@jespah,
Selichot!

My mom called this the holiest day of the year! She always said it’s a solemn day marked by complete fasting. So I fasted all day today in her honor. She would have done the same thing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:11 pm
I apologize to Roberta for all the times I made bad jokes and bad thoughts about the NY Yankees in the past year.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:32 pm
@jcboy,
There are times when I have no idea what he’s talking about. Shocked
Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:54 pm
@MMarciano,
You might be just kidding around or you don't understand. For those who may not know, selichot/slichot is the Hebrew word for sorry/apologies and the prayers said or these apologies. The Day of Atonement is when you confess your sins to Supreme Being.

I might be just a bit thick...you might be kidding about your hubby not really fasting.
jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 08:05 pm
@Ragman,
He's a Puerto Rican, their an odd bunch Cool

As the sun set tonight and Yom Kippur begins, for all my Jewish friends and family. Have a good fast, and may your names be inscribed in the book of life.
jespah

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 08:16 am
@jcboy,
And you and yours as well! Smile

At the synagogue we attended as I was growing up, we would hold Tashlich outside, weather permitting. Tashlich is where you cast your sins out upon the water. We would throw old bread, and ducks would come and eat it. Cast thy bread upon the waters, indeed.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 05:43 am
@jespah,
I had to enscribe my name on a book of checks on Yom. I got nailed by a goyem cop in Lewes Delaware for speeding in a 25 zone.
Im sorry I got caught.
djjd62

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 05:47 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
The Sabbaths of all Sabbaths

surely this was the Sabbath of all Sabbaths

Ozzy Osbourne (lead vocals)
Tony Iommi (guitar)
Geezer Butler (bass guitar)
Bill Ward (drums)

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 06:49 am
@farmerman,
Oy, such a shonda!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:53 am
Yes, the holiest of holy days.

Thanks for the apology, tsar. I forgive (but I don't forget).

Remembering the olden days when my grandparents were around. Sigh.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 11:01 am
I cheated during my early fasts. I just walked to a non-Jewish neighborhood (Irish) and loaded up on twinkies. Then when I was an early teenager, I announced the sin is on my head, and did not fast. I still do not fast. Do not go to synagogue, unless it is for someone's Bar/Bat Mitzvah. Do not dress up on Jewish holidays.

To me being Jewish is just being able to tolerate the often quick tongue of a Jewish girl of Eastern European descent. Who said Jewish men are "timid"?

Oh yes; tatoos are verboten. Something that just turns me off. That is really a Jewish and Moslem thing, I suspect.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 07:47 pm
Chag Chanukah sameach, to my Jewish friends and family from Miami.
Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 12:28 am
@jcboy,
Happy Chanukah back atcha.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 04:56 am
Chappy Chanookah kids. Hugs from the northern hinterlands.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 05:27 am
@jespah,
what kind of wine goes best with a latke?
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 05:57 am
@farmerman,
Manischewitz, of course!
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 09:08 am
@jespah,
oy, too sweet!

Like nothing else fermented would suffice?
jespah

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 03:47 pm
@farmerman,
It kinda doesn't matter - it's not Passover so there are fewer restrictions.

1. Forums
  2. » Yom Kippur 2012: The Day Of Atonement Explained
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 06:13:10