Is sexual intercourse between cousins forbidden?

Loak

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 09:48 am
Hi,

I recently had sex with my female cousin. This is not something that I'm proud of.

My view on this is that we have some casual protected pleasures. We don't what and will not going to make babies. And marriage is out of the question.

Don't want to make bad karma of any kind. So please, can someone give me guidance. According to Buddhist teachings, what I'm doing here is ok or not? and why? Are there any books about this issue that will help me do the right thing?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,074 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 11:09 am
What is your intentions with her ? If there is no plan for marriage or babies and you cannot have a public relationship with her, then why are you doing all this?

Probably because of lust. And you can find out what the Buddhist view of lust is very easily.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 11:57 am
No, it's not forbidden or illegal; however, there can be some issues with children produced by first cousins. PKU, for example.

Personally, I would feel creepy having sex with a cousin, especially if we'd known each other all our lives. (I have a bunch of cousins in the UK that I just met 2 yrs ago).
0 Replies

void123

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 01:07 am
@Loak,
buddha married his cousin
0 Replies

void123

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 01:08 am
@Loak,
also buddha had a kid with his cousin
JLNobody

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 11:34 am
@void123,
I know more than one set of happily married first cousins (Einstein also married his first cousin so it probably isn't a "dumb" thing to do). In some societies, according to the anthropological literature, an ideal marriage is between first cross cousins--where the related parents are of different gender because this means that their children, the marrying cousins, are of different lineages or clans. But two first parallel cousins cannot marry because their parents are of the same gender and therefore they are of the same lineages (lineages and especially clans are always exogamous, i.e., they marry out of their groups). Note that biological distance is irrelevant; it's social distance that counts (and these societies have no knowledge of genetics). But of course you are asking about sex not marriage.
chai2

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 12:28 pm
@JLNobody,
That's interesting JLN, I didn't know that.
0 Replies