Julie Taymor's Titus Andronicus

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:05 pm
In the middle of watching the film for the first time, and have a question. Who or what does the boy symbolize? Is he the audience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,046 • Replies: 27
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:38 am
You're going to have to refresh my memory...is this the film with Anthony Hopkins?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:43 am
Yes. Abour three fourths of the way into the film, the boy begins speaking the lines for Titus' grandson Lucius, but even after he seems to me to fill the role of stand in for the audience. I have also wondered if maybe he represents the wounded conscience of the principles.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:11 pm
You could be right. Now there's a powerful film. Shakespeare could outwrite the authors of the Bible! Especially about the human condition and he certainly was simplistic about it.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:29 pm
I love how Aaron is unabashedly evil. He has his closest meet in Iago, but whereas Iago is motivated by jealousy, Aaron's motivation is simple pleasure at the chaos he causes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:34 pm
A great Shakespearean villian, to be sure.

My favorite revisionist Shakespeare is still the Ian McKellen version of "Richard III." He was also a co-write in adapting the play to film.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
I love that film! From the beginning, through the "winter of out discontent" soliloquy that concludes over a unrinal, through the ending at the refinery, it is great theater!

Especially fun is comparing his chracterization as Richard with that of Amos Starkadder in Cold Comfort Farm. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:40 pm
That's extraordinary -- never thought of that! Well, I would except that from someone who has some brains and goes to the movies.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:41 pm
Speaking of production design and cinematography, that film has it all over "Passion."
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:46 pm
Indeed! (the phrase that aparently drives my undergrads crazy! )
The cinematography in Titus Andronicus reminds me of the photography of Loretta Lux.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:53 pm
Ahh, I remember it now. Great flick. I'm sometimes a bit stodgy about modern 'takes' on Shakespeare, but I did enjoy Titus. I was never quite sure what the boy represented, but I did catch a whiff of a statement regarding a cycle of institutionalized/taught violence that crosses the ages.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:33 pm
I really meant both films were artistic triumphs in cinematography and production design. The use of reds in "Richard III" were so sumptuous and at the same time forbodding as to enrapture one before anyone speaks a line.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:35 pm
Indeed. In Titus, Taymor acheives the same effect with blues (The sky, the intereior of the imperial palace, etc..).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:49 pm
Yes, those gorgeous blues. It would be easy to design an interior around either film. Of course, it's those talented designers who Dubya believe should not marry.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:53 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:53 pm
Double post. Stupid computer!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:56 pm
Smile -- live and let live was certainly Shakespeare's philosophy (and he liked the boys as much as the girls himself).
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:58 pm
Hmm, I can understand his viewpoint!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:10 pm
AC/DC -- just two different forms of current!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:23 pm
One of Shakespeare's greatest strengths was his ability to write believeable female characters. If one compares his female charaters with similar ones by Middleton, Rowley, Johnson, and Marlowe one cannot help but be impressed.
0 Replies