Kindle ink e-reader Model No. DO 1100

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 01:02 am
I recently received one of these as a gift and it's very cute. It is purely an e reader, no fancy whistles and bells which is fine by me for what I want it to do. My question is simply this. Obviously you have to purchase on line e books through Amazon.com in order to download recent books. I do not wish to link any of my bank accounts to amazon.com because I choose not to. I have been told that I can purchase from the post office a "Load and Go" credit card and this should be OK, but when I look at amazon.com's policies, I don't think they would accept this credit card, even though it would have enough funds within the card. Apparently you go to the post office, purchase the credit card for $6.95 and then put $20 or more on the card. The Post Office sends you a pin to your mobile phone and you register the card. Does anybody know whether it's worth doing this and whether or not Amazon.com will accept this method of payment. If they don't they're crazy in my opinion. They may do it for the Kindle fire. Roll back to the days when you could ring up and ask a person. Would save heaps of time LOL.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 8,276 • Replies: 11

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 06:58 am
@WendyLou,
I doubt that Amazon will accept any credit card that isn't attached to a major name, such as Visa or Mastercard.

However, you can pay them with Paypal. You can set up a Paypal account for free, and it links to your bank account. I'm not sure, but you might be able to link Paypal to a card such as this.

However, I would strongly caution you - these are a lot of shenanigans to go through in order to avoid a major online retailer with a very good rep from linking to your accounts. Plus, never buy a credit or a debit card of any sort. Why the hell should you pay in order to use your own money? Consider this - if you pay $6.95 for a card where you put $20 on it, about a quarter of the $ you are spending ($26.95) is not going to you.
WendyLou

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 06:15 pm
@jespah,
Thanks Jespah, you have been really helpful. Looks like I have to link my visa card to Amazon to buy the books. It's exceedingly annoying. I appreciate your advice.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 06:17 pm
Just to make it clear, you most certainly can get books on your Kindle without first purchasing them from Amazon.

Cycloptichorn
WendyLou

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 07:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Hi there, the mystery continues....The card I've mentioned is actually a Load and Go Visa card, not linked to a bank account. I've just found out more about it. You make a one off payment of $6,95 and place $20 or whatever amount above that you wish on the card. It has a number registered to you and the post office sends you a pin to your mobile phone. You then go on line and register the card and should be good to go. I'm just wondering if anybody else has used one or heard of this. You do not need to pay another $6.95 when you go back to add more money to your card. You just take it to the post office. I think it's a good idea for security purposes and also stops you from being tempted to over spend using your bank linked credit card. What do you think? I should have told Jespah the extra information - I left out the visa card description. All advice gratefully accepted, otherwise I won't use the kindle.
0 Replies

WendyLou

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 07:47 pm
@jespah,
Hey Jespah. I did leave out this info which I've told to another person who replied. The load and go card is a visa credit card from the post office. The $6,95 initial payment does not apply again, when you reload money into the card at the post office. It has a number registered to your name and your mobile telephone. The post office sends you a pin, which you can change and keep using. Then you are supposed to go online and register this card. I think if it works it's a great way to save over spending and it's purely for books then.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 08:31 pm
@WendyLou,
It seems easier to set up a PayPal account, linked to your bank account, and pay Amazon using PayPal rather than a credit card. You can also use PayPal to pay many other online retailers as well. And PayPal also issues credit cards, if you need to get a regular credit card.

Why pay a $6.95 fee to be able to obtain and use a credit card? And you're also tying up $20 more of your own money on that card before you have a need to spend it. To me, that doesn't sound worth doing at all.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 09:43 pm
@jespah,
Jespah,

Amazon does not accept pay pal.

Pay pal is owned by ebay. They are direct competition.
jespah

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:16 am
@chai2,
Ah, thanks Chai. You are correct.

I checked (I just ordered something) and here are the payment options in the US (I think you're outside the US, Wendy, so there will be some variation) -
Visa
Mastercard
Diners' Club
American Express
Discover
JCB
Amazon gift cards
Amazon store card
Checking account

PS I hope you can get crossword puzzles on the Kindle. Smile

PPS There are a lot of free e-books out there. Most of them are public domain classics. I'm sure you can get works like Anna Karenina for free out there.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:40 am
@jespah,
The reloadable cash cards as well as the debit cards with credit card names are the way things are going here in Canada. I find them handy - better than gift cards as you can use them in multiple locations as well as for a lot of online purchases.
WendyLou

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 08:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Hey ehBeth....I spoke with someone last night about the Load and Go Visa credit card from the post office. She has a Kindle and it doesn't matter which model. Amazon will accept them. She was gunshy about opening up her details to amazon with her bank visa credit card because she's had trouble with online banking and had things stolen....but she has assured everybody on here, from the US to Australia that the Load and Go card purchased either online to the local Post Office or in person with cash over the counter is secure and works for most purchases other than e-Bay which is PayPal. She was really helpful and I think especially if people are travelling overseas, this is a great way not to expose your actual bank account. You can also choose what is actually available on the card. In Australia all you have to do once you have used up your funds is go back and pay into it for no cost, or online. No bank fees, nothing, except the $6.95 initial purchase cost of the card. Just thought I'd follow through for you all. I'll keep you posted if you are interested....I guess because I had a card stolen and money was spent, it's made me gunshy as well....:-) to all who had input ... greatly appreciated.
WendyLou

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 07:25 pm
@WendyLou,
HERE ARE THE AUSTRALIAN LOAD AND GO FACTS FOR YOU:
http://auspost.com.au/personal/loadandgo-faqs.html
In this link you will find out everything. The main point is that I was able to purchase e books through Amazon with my Load & Go card. It was instant download. When you get the Load and Go card at the Post office, you pay $26.95. They retain the $6.95 as a one off payment for issuing the card. You can renew the card which is valid for 2.5 years or more I think. You make sure you have no balance, or only .50c on the card at the end and renew. If you leave funds on the card at the expiry date, the post office retains that money and shares it with Heritage Bank. But you'd be nuts to leave it on there at the expiry date of the card. I think for over two years having a card like this with no risk and paying $5.96 for the privilege is small change. This visa card is able to be used anywhere, all currencies as well. You pay .9 per transaction with a cap of .99c per month if you go over a certain number of purchases, check that in the link. Just letting everybody know. Safe, secure, no risk of hacking because you register the card. You have a pin number, they have your mobile phone number. If you lose your card and it is registered, you do not lose your money. The only time charges could blow out a bit is if you wish to speak with them on the phone. But so far, no issues.
Just letting eveybody know who was interested enough to try to help. You can reload funds onto your card via internet, B Pay etc. or go directly to any post office and pay cash over the counter. As I've said my reasons for this are mainly security, to restrict myself and purely for e reading purchases from Amazon for the Kindle. Just wanting to let everybody know who may be interested and thanks for all the interest in the original question guys.
Wendy.
0 Replies