Why can't humans solve the problems facing mankind?

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 05:42 am
Hello everyone. I'm a tech junkie. And this is partly what has led me to start this discussion. Looking at all the wonderful advancements we've made in just the past 10 - 20 years, why is it that, as an advanced world society, we are still unable to solve the basic problems facing us. Such as ending war and establishing total peace, ending crime and disease? What are your thoughts?

maxdancona

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 05:52 am
@anthony1312002,
We have solved the important problems. I now have a way to inform hundreds of random people across the globe of my jock itch in seconds.

What makes you sure that ending war, crime and disease is even a good thing?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 05:56 am
attention span--
djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 06:15 am
@raprap,
sorry, what were you saying?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 06:17 am
Why can't humans solve the problems facing mankind?

Booorrrr-rrrrriiiinnngggg . . .
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 06:25 am
Apparently all of us are too busy responding to random threads we think are boring to solve any problems.
oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 06:58 am
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm a tech junkie. And this is partly what has led me to start this discussion. Looking at all the wonderful advancements we've made in just the past 10 - 20 years, why is it that, as an advanced world society, we are still unable to solve the basic problems facing us. Such as ending war and establishing total peace, ending crime and disease? What are your thoughts?

War is what we use to defend ourselves from the bad guys. It would be a bad idea to get rid of war unless we first rid the planet of everyone who wishes to harm us.

I'm not sure humanity is really deserving of being rid of disease. Fix all the legal systems so they don't send so many innocent people to prison, and so they promptly release and adequately compensate innocent people if a wrongful conviction is discovered, and maybe I'll reconsider that one. Otherwise, I say humanity isn't worth saving. Just let everyone die of whatever hideous disease they happen to catch.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 07:52 am
@anthony1312002,
Profit. That's the answer to your question. There is profit in war for the warmongers, which is why they keep fighting wars. The poor die, and the rich get richer.
There is profit in disease. The wet dream of any producer of medicine is to have loads of people needing their medicine for the rest of their lives.
Cures aren't interesting, medicine which allows you to live with your illness is.

So, the answer to why humans can't solve the problems facing mankind is simply that greedy humans is the biggest problem. And greed is the first commandment of capitalism.
oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:57 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
Profit. That's the answer to your question. There is profit in war for the warmongers, which is why they keep fighting wars. The poor die, and the rich get richer.

Nah. We have wars because we need to defend ourselves from the bad guys.
Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 09:00 am
@maxdancona,
Sanctimony
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 09:45 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

War is what we use to defend ourselves from the bad guys. It would be a bad idea to get rid of war unless we first rid the planet of everyone who wishes to harm us.

War is also what the bad guys use to defend themselves from us. Of course, once they rid the planet of anyone who wishes to harm them they won't need war either.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 09:58 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Nah. We have wars because we need to defend ourselves from the bad guys.

Oralloy:
heh.
Yeah, all of OUR wars are defensive actions. It's those OTHER guys, right.

You crack me up.

Speaking of the USA only, the contributions (heh) to its annual funding of its military are equal to the combined amounts of the next twelve developed nations in the world combined. That is a lot of defense.

One of the present candidates for President has expressed the thought (?)that even this amount of treasure spent is not enough.
~~
As to the OP question: What can't humans solve the problems facing mankind?

Because we don't want to.

Humans have this abiding faith that that all the bad things in the world will happen somewhere far away from where they are and to people who are not like themselves.

Joe(it's the worst kind of myopia.)Nation
imans

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 10:10 am
@anthony1312002,
bc u r nothing objectively, it is a fact that u never accept
as soon that u feel smthg or have an idea or see smthg immediately u jump to believe that u r all and can b more
u take the opposite sense to logical reaction

if u feel smthg or see smthg, logically it means that there is smthg that u r never, of course u can realize how u become more through things but that realisation should logically make u conclude that in constant terms u r less always, u can b more so positive but in the constant sense of being objectively less

which would make u closer to understand how the concept of truth is everything really and everywhere, how freedom is the cool walk always cooler and faster
truth is exclusively through easy ways bc what is true is hundred percent existing while nothing objectively at all, bc it is true so there is no divisions or limits to separate, i sound speculating but i mean the idea of knowing truth spirit

if humans act relatively to themselves and wills, they wont seek to destroy others as the way to get smthg later when else dont exist anymore
at least if u clarify what u want first u would know in truth how u cant anymore destroy, u would think positively till u reach what u want the least constant space of being through its concept

i dont know how u visualize space nor do i see any, but i know that logically any space is created relatively to what u insist to b constant through
u call universe what i dont recognize, as if there is a space filled that noother is possible, it is horrible how far u enjoy being through lies

if humans accept their freedom out of conditions, they would perceive true realisations they never do, a kind of respect could b installed then truly to truth objective existence rights and value
so right reactions and behaviors would b true facing any fact objectivity meaning their own positive existence but also objective peace rights
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:01 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
War is also what the bad guys use to defend themselves from us. Of course, once they rid the planet of anyone who wishes to harm them they won't need war either.

Yes. It is very important that we eradicate the bad guys before they eradicate us.

We really need to boost military spending by quite a lot. In particular we need to resume production of F-22 fighters until we get the full complement of 750. And also we should begin selling F-22 fighters to selected allies.

It is also important that we keep the new weapons projects on track. Those medium-range unmanned bombers that we are developing for our aircraft carriers will totally revolutionize Naval bombardment of enemy nations. The range of the bombers will allow our aircraft carriers to bombard enemy nations from a great distance, and the unmanned nature of the bombers means that we will not be risking the lives of any of the pilots. (The pilots will not even need to be on the aircraft carriers; they can control the bombers from the middle of Kansas.)

And the forthcoming Mach-6 cruise missiles will be able to shriek into a enemy nation and destroy critical targets before they even realize that we're bombing them.

Military spending today is more important than ever!
oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:04 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Yeah, all of OUR wars are defensive actions. It's those OTHER guys, right.

Correct.

Joe Nation wrote:
Speaking of the USA only, the contributions (heh) to its annual funding of its military are equal to the combined amounts of the next twelve developed nations in the world combined. That is a lot of defense.

One of the present candidates for President has expressed the thought (?)that even this amount of treasure spent is not enough.

Indeed. The candidate is correct. We do not spend nearly enough on defense.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:14 am
@oralloy,
And we are to assume that these revolutionary bombers, fighters, Mach-6 cruise missiles will only be employed in counter-attacks??

For what purpose would the People's Republic of China engage in a first strike action against the USA?

Joe(Just because they have a Mach 10 ballistic missile?)Nation
Foofie

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:25 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

For what purpose would the People's Republic of China engage in a first strike action against the USA?

Perhaps, to have us counter attack, and after 300 million people or so lessened the population, they can do what Europe did after the Black Death - have a renaissance, based on less mouths to feed. There's usually a method to one's madness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:26 am
We will defend ourselves to the last drop of some poor son of a bitch's blood, so that his survivors may dream of the trickle down prosperity which is just around the corner.

The printing press didn't make people free, happier, healthier, wealthier. Neither did the telegraph, the telephone, the automobile (although it can be argued that the automobile incidentally made us healthier), radio, television nor the internet. What is needed to solve the manufactured problems of humanity is equity, justice. That's not going to happen because capitalists will protect their bottom line, military men and politicians will protect their propserity and their power, doctors, lawyers, engineers and all the other membes of the professional classes will protect the exclusivity of their practice.

Culture, human arifacts, history--all of these change. Human nautre doesn't change. I've got mine, screw you.
Foofie

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 11:53 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I've got mine, screw you.

However, historically, a Protestant would just have looked at their getting theirs as a divine sign that they would have Salvation. Your use of the vulgar "screw you" reflects the non-Protestant thinking, in my opinion.

This country (U.S.A.) was founded on white Protestant beliefs, and still is, except the non-Protestants do not give a religious spin to their avarice, as you did above.
oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 12:01 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
And we are to assume that these revolutionary bombers, fighters, Mach-6 cruise missiles will only be employed in counter-attacks??

No. If we need to go to war with a country, for any reason, the weapons will be used to pound that country to rubble.

Joe Nation wrote:

Joe(Just because they have a Mach 10 ballistic missile?)Nation

If there is a war with China, it will likely be because they are trying to steal territory (or territorial waters) from our allies, not because of them attacking the US directly. Such an attack might occur later in the heat of the war, but no such attack would be the initial provocation of the war.

Any missile that China has that can reach the US, is likely a nuclear missile. If they did launch a nuke at US soil, we would respond with different weapons than the ones I described above.