Can you identify ? How do I post a picture?

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 07:26 pm
How do I post a picture here? Can I just cut and paste? Size limits?

I have a thing(?) and wonder if anyone here can identify. It is handheld, about 5 inches long, has a stainless steel end with 5 small loops about the size of spaghetti. Somewhat sharp on one side. Looks like a bottle opener, but instead of the end to pry the top off, it has the 5 small round holes, in line across the end.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 07:40 pm
@IRFRANK,
Mystery!

A) do you know the company?
B) can you take a photo? If you can, can you either scan it to your computer or download your digital camera (I'm still learning about that).
C) if you have a photo of it on your desktop, you can get a site like photobucket to pick it up, and that can then be shown on a2k.

jcboy

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 07:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Yep! and I can open it in photoshop and fix the photo for you if its good resolution.

http://photobucket.com/

Or upload here:

http://imageshack.us/

Copy the url of the uploaded image and post it between this:

[img]Insert your image between here [/img]
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:37 pm
http://irfrank.smugmug.com/Other/IRFRANK-PHOTOS/i-Dpsg6Mz/0/M/DSC0162-001-M.jpg

I think the image should be here. Appreciate any help.
Best picture I have.
Another Picture.
http://irfrank.smugmug.com/Other/IRFRANK-PHOTOS/i-74F8sj5/0/M/DSC0162-M.jpg
nextone

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:54 pm
@IRFRANK,
I don't know its purpose.....but....email picture to Oxo and you should get an answer. oxo.com.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:06 pm
@IRFRANK,
Beats the hell outta me!
0 Replies

Atom Blitzer

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:19 pm
You guys don't know?

Well it's in my kithcen, well my mom's at least.

My mom uses it to get fine shred zest from lemon.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:27 pm
Confirmed, that is a Zester.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zester

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:52 pm
Be damned!

Learn something new each and every day!
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 07:59 am
Cool Thanks !

Now we know what it is and can't find it!

Don't know if we will be needing it anytime soon.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 08:03 am
@IRFRANK,
You can always uses a potato peeler.. trickier in that you don't usually want to scrape up the pith under the lemon (or other citrus) skin.
jcboy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 09:49 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You can always uses a potato peeler.. trickier in that you don't usually want to scrape up the pith under the lemon (or other citrus) skin.

You know when my mom would make mashed potatoes she never peeled them, nope just boiled them and cut them up and mashed with the skin on. She always said the skin had the most vitamins.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 10:03 am
@jcboy,
She was right. I mostly roast potatoes with some olive oil dribblings - and leave the skin (scrubbed somewhat) on. When mashing, which I don't do often, I peel but still leave some bits of skin on. I pretty much love all mashed potatoes, but my own are slightly lumpy on purpose.

On the citrus peeling, I do make candied citrus peel, and most recipes warn against having the pith as part of it - there's a strong sort of bitter taste. Me I leave some, not much, but some, don't mind that. But some recipes include it, different tastes for different cooks. So to include the pith, an ordinary sharp knife will do - to exclude it completely, the zester featured above is the right tool.
Cool tool.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 10:18 am
I think it would take a very long time to peel a potato with a zester, but hey, who am I say?

You can tell if the zester is any good by taking a fresh lemon and drawing the zester down the skin. It shouldn't a lot a pressure and you should get nice long strings of peel. (about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long with practice)

Make a pile of the zests and put them on top of servings of fish, mix with butter, basil and chopped parsley and shove the mixture under the skin of a chicken before you roast it. Next summer, put some lemon zest on the tops of everyone's iced tea.

Or make a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and, as you serve the slices, sprinkle just a little zest on the icing parts.
~The above was what I wanted for my 12th birthday and every birthday thereafter.~

Joe(it hasn't always arrived.)Nation
0 Replies