Choice - Hot or cold?

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:00 pm
If you had to choose between living somewhere that was 90 degrees F or above all year long, or at freezing and below, which would you pick?

Let's say for the former, the heat would be between 90 (in the coolest months) and 110 in the hottest , and for the latter freezing in the warmer months to around zero F in the coldest.

Yes, take into account cloudless days, wind, rain slush, snow etc etc etc.

I'd pick the cold.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:03 pm
@chai2,
Yea 2, I think most folk would. Maybe not me, living here in the Mojave and loving every moment

I get colder quicker than most
chai2

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:12 pm
@dalehileman,
that's why I'm asking dal, I'm not sure about this.

where I live the summers are very hot, and I know/see a lot of people that have a jacket or heavy-ish clothing on when it drops to 80.

Here, many people think it's freezing when it's 60. It's funny to see little kids all hunched over walking to school when it's 60 out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:19 pm
That's too extreme, in both cases. Global warming will of course make the decision for many of us. As a younger person, I likely would choose the cold. At my age, I am shifting to the warm. Viva A/C.
roger

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:19 pm
@chai2,
Freezing or below all year? I don't know where that might be, but include me out.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
yes, it's extreme either way, and I don't know of many places that would fit the bill, and have all the other things needed, like jobs and so for.

Hypothetically, I guess I'm just asking if one or the other, which?

So far, I'm the only cold hearted one.

Cold makes me feel alive and fresh. Heat is something I just get through to get to the cooler times.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:40 pm
@chai2,
If it's actually cold -- cold enough that if snow falls, it stays there -- I like it.

What kills me is the 33-50 range, especially if it's gray and rainy. (I grew up in Minnesota but I've never been colder than the winter I spent in London.)

So in some ways I actually prefer the extremes.

I can take major heat too as long as there is air conditioning and a body of water.

All of that said though, I like change and seasons more than any other one element. I liked the weather in L.A. for the first 9 months or so, then the fact that it just kept going on and on and on started to really grate on me. My first fall back in the Midwest was glorious. (And first winter, but especially first spring...)
0 Replies

Strauss

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:40 pm
Too bad hell cannot freeze over..
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:59 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

If you had to choose between living somewhere that was 90 degrees F or above all year long, or at freezing and below, which would you pick?

Let's say for the former, the heat would be between 90 (in the coolest months) and 110 in the hottest , and for the latter freezing in the warmer months to around zero F in the coldest.

Yes, take into account cloudless days, wind, rain slush, snow etc etc etc.

I'd pick the cold.

I would pick hot. I like it hot. It motivates me. I function really well when it is hot. While others are complaining I'm content. It is easy, much easier to cool off than to heat up. Jump in a pool for a quick swim, take a quick shower. But where it's cold you have to wait to heat up. Sure you can go inside somewhere that has already been heated but if that heat fails or isn't there to begin with, you have to wait. To cool down all you need is a water source and possibly a fan or breeze.
JPB

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 03:09 pm
Assuming we have all the creature comforts of modern man (ac and/or furnace while indoors) then I'd pick cold. I can add layer upon layer to warm up and protect myself from the cold. It's hard to get less than naked.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 03:54 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
To cool down all you need is a water source and possibly a fan or breeze.

Not really. I lived on the third floor of a house without air-conditioning, and for about three weeks out of the year it was absolutely brutal, especially when trying to sleep. Even with fans, even with putting cold washcloths on bare skin, still excruciating.
Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 04:12 pm
I'll take the cold. Heat is enervating; cold is invigorating.
Krumple

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 04:22 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Not really. I lived on the third floor of a house without air-conditioning, and for about three weeks out of the year it was absolutely brutal, especially when trying to sleep. Even with fans, even with putting cold washcloths on bare skin, still excruciating.

I also live on the third floor in my building and it is great. I can keep my windows open year around. Even at night when it does get cold the apartment stays really warm because of all the heat from the lower floors.
0 Replies

Atom Blitzer

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 04:42 pm
@chai2,
Definitely 90 degrees F to 110 F as long as humidity as low. Then I can workout for less time and burn the same amount of calories. I kinda hate winter cause you gotta do warm up exercises longer to prevent muscle tear. **** I'd rather have sweaty balls than be frozen, especially if it's a windy city. And on top of that you can't see girls wearing those skimpy dresses in the winter.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 04:55 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I'll take the cold. Heat is enervating; cold is invigorating.

Exactly.

enervating, I had to look that word up, but that's exactly what it is.

When it's hot outside it feels like the air is dead. Not only dead, but spreading unhealthiness, germs etc. I guess the word would be a miasma.

Cold feels alive, healthy, clean.

To me that is.
Krumple

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 05:00 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Exactly.

enervating, I had to look that word up, but that's exactly what it is.

When it's hot outside it feels like the air is dead. Not only dead, but spreading unhealthiness, germs etc. I guess the word would be a miasma.

Cold feels alive, healthy, clean.

To me that is.

Maybe I am just cold blooded. The hotter it is the more energetic I feel. When it is cold I feel sluggish and unmotivated. I just want to stay in bed. When it's hot I want to do things.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 05:08 pm
I'll take the heat. There was a time when I might have said cold, but I'm enjoying not living in the cold. You don't have to shovel sunshine.
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 05:11 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
I'll take the heat.

No surprise there, Tico. That's what one expects of a snake.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 06:11 pm
Definitely not hot.

Cool, but not cold.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 06:49 pm
It doesn't get all that cold here, maybe 15 degrees F once in a while. I'm better with cold than high heat - now. I used to be fine with high heat, high to me being 100 or so, but not anymore. I remember mapping property when it was 105. Now I'd flutter to the ground and frizzle if I were staying out for hours in that temperature.

Last place I lived, in coastal Humboldt County in California, winter high was routinely 53, and summer high, 63. Rarely did we get frost or a tad of snow in my neighborhood, but there was serious snow a few miles inland (and higher elevations). I got used to that steadiness, got to like the northwestern type climate - sort of a surprise, my being from a sunnier area originally. The wind could bite by the Bay, but most had a supply of warm clothes.

I try to watch energy expense here in Albuquerque, so in winter in the house it'll be colder than my druthers, and in summer, higher than my druthers, but in both situations, not as tough as having no heat at all in winter, or no swamp cooler in summer.