Does Training Affect Growing?

Buli

Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:08 pm
Hello, I'am 14 and half years old my question is if im going to be taller than iam now , well let me tell you my story , I was born with weight 5 KILO and very tall , the doctor said to my parents im gone be very tall , from the age 1 till 12 i was growin super fast , at the age of 12 i began with training with PullUps till now , and from the age 13 i just grew 3-4 inches.
and 5-7 month over and i didn't grow even 1 inch..
So the 2 main questions are will i stop growin? cause im really scared and does training "Pull Ups" affect my growth?

I'am currently 1.80

Thanks.

Ragman

Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:20 pm
@Buli,
No, pullups (or any exercise) will not affect your height.

Adult height and adolescent height: spurts of growth are just that..spurts. Sometimes at age 12-18 ... the added height occurs in spurts, bunched together. Around about age 16-20 most people reach their full adult height; however, there are always exceptions and some people stop growing at age 15 and other still get taller after age 21, but those are exceptions.

Probably nothing that you're doing will affect your final adult height unless you decide to stop eating or stop eating ANY protein. You aren't doing that, right?

If you have any doubts, see your family dcotor.
Buli

Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:24 pm
@Ragman,
So what is the reason that im not getting any more longer? i know there is allot time till i stop getting longer. but i saw allot of my freinds that was about 1.70 in summer got to 1.78 and im still 1.80..

and well i never decide to stop eating , because im training.
Ragman

Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:28 pm
@Buli,
As I wrote previously, you have a growth spurt...a sudden increase and you may have another. You more than likely will still get taller. Be patient.

Perhaps you should ask your family physician if you're really concerned.

Personally, I'm no expert. I'm a 61 yr-old and just have been an observer of life. Very few (if anyone on this forum) are experts on adolescent growth.
roger

Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:34 pm
@Buli,
Your question should be "So what is the reason that im not getting any more longer, now". Be patient. I'm very sure that at your age, you are not as tall as you will be as an adult.

As to pull ups, and exercise, yes they will make you slightly taller as your spine stretches. Whatever minor gain you get will be gone in less than a day.
0 Replies

Buli

Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:35 pm
@Ragman,
Okay , thank you very much , i was really afraid of stopping growing , because im healthy and i have no problem with my body , i do sports and everything that should help body health, so no reason that i stop growing.
Ragman

Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:37 pm
@Buli,
Make sure you keep taking in good nutrition. Daily calories should be between 2600 to 3500 per day when you exercise...an keep up the protein intake.

Here's some expert adult maturation and adolescent to adult growth info at this link:

http://www.epi.umn.edu/let/pubs/img/adol_ch1.pdf
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 29 Aug, 2012 04:46 pm
@Buli,
You are nearly 6 feet tall and worried about not getting taller immediately while you are fourteen?

Please, relax. Be happy with your body and treat it well with exercise, as you are doing, and good nutrition - which we can't know if you are doing.

Yes, height growth happens in spurts, but even if you don't grow taller - why would you be unhappy with your body, even saying you are "scared"?
0 Replies

harveysmith27

Sat 1 Sep, 2012 12:49 am
Yes training definitely affect growing. With out training we can't grow in any field.
When ever you don't know how to do? what to do?
You can't do any thing so training is must for growing.
0 Replies

joanne001

Mon 3 Sep, 2012 07:09 am
@Buli,
There are little evidence that supports the notion that intense training impedes growth in young male athletes. Case reports of boys involved in tennis and athletic training between ages 11 and 13 provide evidence for catch-up growth following a reduction in training time.9 Daly et al17 reported that prepubertal and early-pubertal high-level male gymnasts age 10.1 years (± 0.2 yr) studied for 18 months were shorter than normoactive boys, but the stature deficit did not worsen with increased duration of training. No difference was reported in the growth rate of trained distance runners ages 9 to 15 compared with nonathletic controls studied for 2 years, despite evidence of late skeletal maturation in the runners.
0 Replies

danielhayward

Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:47 am
@Buli,
Yes!!!
Accordingly, body growth matters with heavy weight pull-ups. Such exercises should adopt only after 18. So, you must consult your doctor properly and ask for low stress exercises.
0 Replies