Adam Sandler is not funny!

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 08:55 am
Oh my god, I keep hearing about his new piece of crap "50 First Dates" and how it's making gazillions. Are there that many fourteen-year old boys going to the movies? Everything this guy touches turns to gold for some reason, and I gotta tell ya, I don't get it. Fart jokes and punchlines that you can see coming from a mile away . . . what is the deal? There must be something I'm missing, like when you see a really beautiful girl with some ugly guy, you think, well, either he has a lot of money or a huge penis. What am I missing with this guy?

Adam Sandler is NOT funny!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,095 • Replies: 41
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:11 am
Aw, hey, you are talking nasty about the greatest humour-meister who ever lived Rolling Eyes I'll tell you one thing though...I never really got Jim Carrey either, beyond an adolescent chuckle. However, Carrey thought he could be a dramatic actor (The Majestic), and he sucked worse at that. With Sandler, a movie like Punch Drunk Love shows that in the hands of the right director, he could indeed make that transition.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:19 am
I think he's funny. As far as silly humor, well, he certainly isn't the first. The Three Stooges, Animal House, even It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. And I can't help cracking up every time I hear the stupid Turkey Song, even if it is the 500th time I've heard it.

"Sammy Davis Jr. only has one eye..." Dumb? Yes. Innocent laughs? You bet.

It's better than the over-sexed movies that are aimed at the same age group.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:22 am
I agree, I have never found Adam Sandler funny either. "Moronic" is the word that comes to mind. I was bored out of my mind with his performance in "Anger Management" with Nicholson.

Jim Carrey usually irritates me, but he can be funny when he tones it down. I was actually quite impressed with his portrayal of Andy Kaufmann in "Man in the Moon."
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:22 am
I thought of a better example of comedic torture - Jerry Lewis. My god - I just can not bear the man.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:25 am
I have to agree. I have watched Caddy-Shack over and over and I still don't see what is so funny about it. I love humor and comedy and I just don't 'get' Adam Sandler.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:50 am
The saddest bit of comedy I've ever seen was the bit when Jim Carrey tried to be a flag at the 911 concert in NYC.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:30 am
I've never gotten Adam Sandler either, but I wrote that off to my being in the wrong demographic. But I like Ben Stiller--they must be about the same age, so maybe that's not it.

As for comparing Sandler with those immortal geniuses, the Three Stooges--no way!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:32 am
Cavfancier, I agree with you. I liked Punch Drunk Love. But that wasn't a "Sandler"-type movie.

And Heeven, I think you're thinking of Bill Murray. Adam Sandler wasn't in that movie. Speaking of unfunny though, "Lost in Translation". That's another boat that left me on the shore. It was semi-interesting, mildly amusing, and sort of sweet, but definitely not funny. And worthy of an oscar nomination for best picture? Now THAT'S funny.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:47 am
Adam Sandler is very funny. He's had his share of stinkers (Little Nicky, Going Overboard, Billy Madison) but he has also had some of the movies that will be forever classics (The Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy).

Simply because one individual does not find Sandler funny, that does not mean he isn't. It just means that individual is, well, let's just say their sense of humor does not coincide with the majority.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:47 am
kickycan: I don't think "Lost in Translation" was meant to be be funny in the way "Caddy Shack" or "Stripes" was. It was meant to be a bit subtle, I think. More like "Groundhog Day"...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:08 am
Okay it was the Happy Gilmore movie then - whatever one he plays golf in.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:20 am
Quote:
There must be something I'm missing, like when you see a really beautiful girl with some ugly guy, you think, well, either he has a lot of money or a huge penis. What am I missing with this guy?

I think he has a huge penis and is very funny...the money is a definite plus too! Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:22 am
I like him. I've laughed a lot when I've gone to see Adam Sandler movies. I can't believe I'm admitting that I've paid to see him in a movie. There are 'better' actors I've never paid to see, and likely won't.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:51 am
I think Sandler pretty much sucks too. Some friends were all gaga over Happy Gilmour and when I watched it - why...am I watching this?

Jim Carrey is another love/hate actor. But watch him in "The Cable Guy". If he doesn't make your skin crawl in that one, you're probably asleep. My wife also raves over his performance in "Bruce Almighty", which I haven't seen.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:52 am
Agreed re Carrey in "The Cable Guy". I've seen chunks of it on TV and it scares the bejesus out of me. Weird thing is, I know a guy kind of like that. I keep my distance...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:02 pm
It's strange. I think Adam Sandler is moronic and so not funny, yet "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" with Jim Carey is the funniest movie I think I've ever seen. And that is REALLY stupid humor. But it's just not so predictable and obvious, maybe that's it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:14 pm
People who like Sandler, like him for his personality. I would say he comes across as "simple" more than "moronic". "Happy Gilmore" really made me laugh in spite of the fact it was stupid.

I am not a big Carey fan with the exception of "Truman Show". I thought this movie was simply brilliant. In my view Carey was created for this role. He can go away now.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:23 pm
Hey, I'm no stranger to juvenile humour. I love the Airplane movies, the Naked Gun flicks, and plenty of early Mel Brooks (Blazing Saddles and young Frankenstein come to mind).

I think the problem with Sandler is, as I stated, is that he needs a good director to bring dimension to his persona, but he insists on directing his comedies himself.

I would grant kudos to Carrey for The Cable Guy and The Truman Show, and Ace Ventura, the first one, did give me some larfs. I liked The Mask as well. I think Carrey's trouble is being convincing in more dramatic roles, which seems to be what he is aiming for.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:30 pm
I think Adam Sandler is hilarious. When he was on SNL, he was great. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Waterboy were awesome.

I think one major reason his movies went downhill from there, is when a guy is on SNL, you're surrounded by comedic geniuses all day long, and it has a good "rubbing off" effect on the actor.

I've also seen him do stand up twice, and it was one of the best comedy acts I've seen.

Of course, I love stupid juvenille humor.
0 Replies