Questions for those of faith

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:35 pm
@spendius,
I wasn't referring to that sort of "relations" Spendius...
..but again the reality of your learned deception doesn't trump an inch on the reality of your perceived illusion...
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
That one is actually quite easy Frank:

1- Reality is what is the case.

Hummm.

So you think that "what is, is" is something you are guessing?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I think that when I am guessing the guessing IS happening, that is, my guessing is actually a guess... Wink

...I also believe there is a reasonable justification for why I am guessing what I am guessing when I am guessing about something, but such claim is a bit more problematic to support...that has been the contention of mankind...
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:55 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...I also believe there is a reasonable justification for why I am guessing what I am guessing when I am guessing about something, but such claim is a bit more problematic to support...that has been the contention of mankind...

I am much more in agreement with you here than when you were saying it was a snap!

Obviously we all feel there is reasonable justification for many of the things we assert without concrete foundation. Even I...and I tend to temper assertions with qualifiers up the gazoo.

Anyway, my remark was really just a throw-away line...which I figure you realized. Thanks for commenting on it, Fil.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I am just left wondering if you realize what my point was...because there was a good point in there above...any ways I always like to read your sometimes misunderstood philosophical provocations...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:11 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

I am a 'person of faith'. But I discarded my religion long ago. Maybe that's why faith is still valuable to me.

What do you have faith in, Cyracuz?

To your question, MoralPhilosopher23...

Sometimes it is harder than other times to try to think and live as someone who has faith. Sometimes it seems to be a sheer act of willpower to hold on to a belief that things are occuring for a reason, and that there is purpose and justice in this life.
But I am grateful for the times (admittedly not as frequent as the trying times) in my life when a higher consciousness than mine seems obvious. I try to hold on to thoughts and memories of those times to get me through the others.
Thanks for asking the question.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:40 pm
@snood,
I particularly enjoyed his "things are occuring for a reason"...

..go figure that, I think he has faith in "order" probably more then I do..and I am always steeping up for defending the existence of Order in this world...weather that "order" is symbolically personalized in a God or not is just sauce on the meet to make it more flavoured...but ironic enough Cyr seams a man of order rather then anarchy after all...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:14 am
@JLNobody,
Thanks, JL, and the same back at you.

Quote:
But when I say I am an atheistic 'man of faith' I am not referring to beliefs so much as I am referring to my basic ATTITUDE toward life and existence.

A key point, as I see it. The connection between faith and belief is curious. It is not faith to believe in something blindly and unquestioningly. It is merely stupidity. If you take something to be true, it requires very little faith to believe in it. Faith is needed when there is doubt, and that, to my mind, is what faith is. The ability to function in spite of doubt.
Beliefs are merely the droppings of the faithful.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:21 am
@snood,
Quote:
What do you have faith in, Cyracuz?

I just have faith. It means that I can function without knowing everything. This is generally unproblematic until the introduction of beliefs. Faith shouldn't be used to make assertions, which beliefs are. It should be used so we don't have to make up all kinds of beliefs about what we don't know.
snood

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 05:35 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
...that, to my mind, is what faith is. The ability to function in spite of doubt.

I guess what puzzles me is your use of the word "faith". The word has definite connotations that you seem to be eschewing in your use of it. Maybe you can help me...
The way you're using it here, what differentiates what you're talking about from self-confidence?
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 05:50 pm
@snood,
Quote:
The way you're using it here, what differentiates what you're talking about from self-confidence?

Nothing. Faith is a very general term, as I see it. When applied to oneself it is self-confidence. Those who have no faith in themselves do not believe that they can accomplish anything. I know that faith is better than doubt. More productive. Even faith in the wrong thing will lead you forward, while doubt just keeps you where you are.
snood

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 06:00 pm
@Cyracuz,
Got it. I see what you're saying...

I'm sure it's better to have faith in oneself as opposed to having no faith at all.

Not sure if that was how the word was used in the launch post, but no matter.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 06:21 am
Somebody once said that a modern scientific study of behaviour, objective that is, or determined by necessary laws, has no alternative but to represent human behaviour as unintentional.

I've seen a few arguments in opposition to that opinion from atheists and I don't understand any of them. They have the look of sophistries.

It seems fair enough to me.

Shakespeare said "like a god". Pavlov said "like a dog".
JLNobody

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 10:39 am
@spendius,
The dog said "like a turd."

Actually, the pet said "Thank God for anthropomorphism."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 12:15 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Shakespeare said "like a god". Pavlov said "like a dog".

Sounds like Shakespeare was dyslexic! (Or Pavlov!)
imans

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 12:36 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
u r proving how animals are gods life that truth actually realize being freedom existing reality of gods kind, the ones that take advantage of absolute values in ways of being it individually in forms while meaning the superior advantage end of it the lie of creating all the concrete positive present life of

it is horrible how all is lies that noone react to its sounds, confirming how it cant b true

funny how u love really to believe that any animal exist as he looks like, saying clearly how u r that animal in mind meaning to profit from humanity condition completely made as u know but that u love to take advantage from the fact that u can play it individually as if it is really by focusing on getting a free sense out of it as true superiority of one u
that is why u love gods or one god, as the god of being one superiority, u r the same life means but in more dirty ways since gods would never mean to kill each others while u kill urself for that fancy on getting smthg from abstract life u never live, u r too low liars as hateful to any true efforts forever
but of course u r not the majority of humans u r the religious ones

majority is always to truth relativity, **** u byebye
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 01:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Sounds like Shakespeare was dyslexic! (Or Pavlov!

Maybe Shakespeare meant goddess but it didn't scan and the Dark Lady would understand anyway.
0 Replies

siglawoo

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 11:17 pm
@MoralPhilosopher23,
That is like coming across an apple and asking him why are you an apple? how you achieved to be an apple? My friend you are looking for a scientific explanation for something that can not be put into words, something that is more than a feeling, something that your feeble mind can not grasp. We are who we are!
imans

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 11:31 pm
@siglawoo,
no u cant b what u r nor what u look like nor ur program for a time, this is what the truth is for, since u exist as constant being still then u must b true. only what is true exist

being true is first being objective, it depends what u see as constant else, not u

being true is last bein real, so it depends then on what ur share with objective constancy u abstracted as knowin being constantly to realize objectively too

being beyond first and last is being in communication with truth freedom
but here it is smthg that break my heart bc it is not true

0 Replies

north

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 03:46 pm

Have any of faith really explored your faith with any depth of knowledge as to the foundations of your faith?

Especially the Abrahamic based faiths