DNS Failure Lookup Problem on Home Network

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 11:59 pm
I need some troubleshooting help. Here's what I've tried so far:

First, the details.

I have a Windows XP with an Intel network card hardwired to a LinkSys router which is connected to Comcast broadband via an Arris modem and also has BBB's computer attached to it. We use Network Magic to manage our home network and have McAfee Firewall and Anti-virus. All software is up to date.

Last night everything was working fine, as it has for the last couple of years, when I shut down the computer. This afternoon I tried logging in and kept getting a DNS lookup failure error using Chrome. Also got it with Firefox and IE.

I rebooted BBB's computer, my computer and pushed the reset buttons on both the router and modem. After that, I couldn't get BBB's computer to connect to the internet either. I then uninstalled the network card and router drivers and reinstalled. That didn't help so I restored the NIC card drivers to the previous version in case there was an automatic update I didn't know about. That got BBB's computer connected to the internet again but mine was still giving the DNS lookup failure problem. I tried the same thing on my computer but there was no older driver to restore to. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them from the setup CDs. No connection.

I then disconnected and reset all the cable and USB connections on my computer, the router and the modem. Still no solution.

I then moved the USB connections to a new port on the router in case one of the router ports had gone bad. Nothing.

I've also invoked IPCONFIG using RUN. Also had it repair the internet connection and reassign the IP numbers for my computer. Checked that all the "automatic TCP/IP DNS" assignment boxes were checked as they should be.

I then opened up the PC box and reseated the network card in case it had become dislodged. Nothing.

All this time, BBB's computer has had internet access (I'm using it to compose this post). The network status says I have internet connection. Yet, when I try to access a website, it returns a DNS lookup failure error no matter which url is used. I then disabled the McAfee firewall in case that was the culprit. Still got the failure error.

Anyone have any more ideas? I've run out of them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 14,929 • Replies: 22
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:25 am
@Butrflynet,
I have gotten good assistance from
WINDOWS, for free at: 800 936 5700.

Thay took over my computer remotely
and thay checked everything. It worked. Good Luck!

David
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That would work if I was able to connect to the internet so that they could take over my computer and fix it.

Unfortunately, that is the problem that needs to be solved. I can't connect to the internet with it.
parados

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:06 am
@Butrflynet,
The DNS lookup failure could be just what it says. Your DNS server is failing to lookup the address of the sites you are attempting to visit. Comcast used to not work for me in the past. If you know the IP of a site, you can test by just typing in that number instead of the name.

One way to test this is to change your DNS server to a known working one instead of using the DNS server that you IP provider is using. Basically go to the properties of the TCP/IP4 and change the DNS server to a manual number instead of getting it from your IP. Google DNS is 8.8.8.8 and it just worked when I tested it.

Here are the support directions from Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305553

Here is an easier method to follow
http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_xp.shtml

If you can connect with the new DNS server then the issue is with Comcast's DNS servers. You can consider calling them or just finding another DNS server to use. It is best to have a couple of them in case one is down.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:10 am
A similar connection problem here ended up being a Comcast issue. Have you called Comcast?

edit -- they had me disconnect/reconnect various devices in a specific order once the modem problem was resolved. I don't remember the order... Oh -- and they had me reset the router by pulling the power from the wall, not using the reset button. I think that was what ultimately worked.
parados

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:16 am
@JPB,
The order is normally the following:

Turn off all devices.
- give time for each to start before starting the next one.
Cable modem
Router
computer

And unplugging is probably the correct way to clear the devices. Usually for at least 10 seconds, some recommend a minute since they need to power down.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:05 pm
The problem with the suggestions is that BBB's computer is on the same home network, going through the same Comcast broadband connection and using a port on the same Linksys router. Her computer has no internet connection problem. I'm on it as I write this.

I think it has something to do with something local between the ports on our Linksys router and my PC, the one that has the lookup failure. If it were a Comcast issue or a DNS lookup provider issue, would not the problem occur on both our computers on the home network rather than just one of them?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:08 pm
@parados,
Yep, that was one of the first things I did when the reset buttons did not work. I powered off everything and then restarted in the order used for connection from cable wire, cable modem, router, router cable, to PC.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 02:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
It can occur on only one. It depends on how each computer is configured and how the router is configured. There are many things that could be happening.

It could also be an issue if your router is starting to fail.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:08 pm
My PC is back in operation finally. It appears to have been a combination of malware, a winsock problem and a bug in the last McAfee software update.
roger

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good Grief!

If I'd had even a hint of a solution, I would have offered it. Sometimes better to just stay away.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 12:18 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
That would work if I was able to connect
to the internet so that they could take over my computer and fix it.

Unfortunately, that is the problem that needs to be solved.
I can't connect to the internet with it.
In THAT event, thay will probably advise u as to what keystrokes to apply,
UNTIL success is achieved to the extent that u have eventually CONNECTED to it.
That is how thay helped ME.

IF I remember, thay had me build a parrallel, substitute pathway.

I coud not connect at first, either. GOOD LUCK!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 12:26 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
My PC is back in operation finally.
It appears to have been a combination of malware,
a winsock problem and a bug in the last McAfee software update.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I see that my last advice arrived too late to be of value.

Will u get different anti-viral software ??
I 'm using Microsoft Security Essentials; I hear Norton is good.

David
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Definitely
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 05:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

DAVID wrote:

Definitely
What do u think of Microsoft Security Essentials??
Which is the best anti-viral protection ???
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 05:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm going to switch to this one:

http://usa.kaspersky.com/?domain=kaspersky.com
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 12:13 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
I'm going to switch to this one:

http://usa.kaspersky.com/?domain=kaspersky.com
Thank u.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 01:29 am
@Butrflynet,
That's what I've been using, without problems, and without it having been overly intrusive. Either it works very well, or I've just been very lucky.
0 Replies

whatiam

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
hey try changing you DNS settings. open DNS is better. try changing your setting to openDNS
ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 02:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
Based on recommendations from a bunch of IT guys I switched to Kaspersky a few years ago. We've been quite happy with it - it's almost invisible in its operation. I'm a big fan of the Kaspersky products.
0 Replies