Armstrong to be Stripped of all 7 Titles

spendius

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 07:29 am
@McTag,
Now you really have gone OTT Mac. People who lie and do illegal things are all to be vilified, humiliated and sued are they?

That should be good fun.
McTag

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 11:36 am
@spendius,

Quote:
People who lie and do illegal things are all to be vilified, humiliated and sued are they?

Sure, if they put themselves on pedestals. If they say they won the Tour de France fair and square.
A role model for children and junior sportsmen?

Let's go mediaeval on their asses.
spendius

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 03:56 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
A role model for children and junior sportsmen?

That's not their fault. They don't go to all the trouble and pain in order to be a ******* role model for children. You're laying that responsibility on them. One of our heroines from the Olympics is raking it in advertising an obvious financial con. Her hands are clean eh?

Some example to the kids that they can't get enough dough. Did you see Sir Botham with that foot massager contraption. You'll never see David Gower stoop so low. He sets a fine example to young lads. Looks like Lady Gaga does it for the girls.

Setting an example to the young eh? Sheesh!!!!!

Mr Armstrong is a scapegoat for those who enjoy that sort of thing and a fat udder to his advisers.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:57 am
New (?) accusations against Lance Armstrong?
http://i57.tinypic.com/2rdhpmo.jpg
http://www.buzzfeed.com/omarvillegas/most-important-tv-news-stories-of-our-time#h6ezaz

Was this part of the scandal swept ... under ... um... erh... into the broom closet?
hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Shouldn't it say:

Advertisement: Armstrong Used Rugs
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:34 pm
Several years ago I watched a Discovery channel documentary about drugs in sport. One of the interviewees was the scientist who was the head of the US anti doping testing (whatever the body is called) at the time. During the various questions he was answering he stated (paraphrasing here), that nobody watching the program was going to see a drug free major sporting event in their life time. When the rewards for success can be counted in the many millions, someone will always be looking for the extra edge.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:50 pm
@Wilso,
I doubt that the economics of major league sports works for too much longer, they are pricing themselves out of Americans entertainment budget.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 12:07 am
@roger,
The disgraced cyclist has paid out more than $10 million in damages after admitting to doping in 2013. Now a federal judge has cleared the way for the US government to pursue a $100 million lawsuit against Armstrong.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I seen that. I wonder just how deep Armstrong's pockets could be.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 07:26 am
@edgarblythe,
According to Wikipedia, he has @$50 million. So, maybe the lawsuit is going after all of that and whatever remainder from his foundation. Or perhaps, he's been hiding a lot of money in Panama (or similar arrangement). Remember the Panama Papers where a lot of celebrities were outed for having illegal, tax evading off-shore accounts?

Maybe that's the case here.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 07:49 am
Who's the victim?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 08:11 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Who's the victim?

Good question.

Quote:
The Postal Service paid $32.3 million to sponsor Armstrong’s cycling team from 2000 to 2004 and said it wouldn’t have paid that if it had known the team was violating its sponsorship contract by using banned drugs and blood transfusions to cheat in races. The government now wants that money back and could have that amount tripled under the under the False Claims Act, with Armstrong possibly on the hook for all of it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2017/02/13/lance-armstrong-lawsuit-federal-judge-denies-request/97860084/

It looks like the USPS is trying to recover the money it gave it for his years of celebrity endorsements.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 09:08 am
@tsarstepan,
caveat emptor

I wonder what his contract said. Maybe they pressured him so much to win that he decided to do what he did?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 10:10 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

caveat emptor

I wonder what his contract said. Maybe they pressured him so much to win that he decided to do what he did?

Pretty sure there is a morals clause in the contract. It should be standard boilerplate language in most celebrity endorsement contracts of especially such staggeringly high amounts of money. Not saying that the contract hadn't added to the pressure on Armstrong. But he did sign the bloody thing.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 10:12 am
@tsarstepan,
True.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 11:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I like your signature line, Walter.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 07:22 pm
Who's the victim?

Any kid who dreams of being a professional athelete, when he/she discovers he'll have to be unehtical to accomplish this.

Then they have the choice of not pursuing, and having an unfulilled dream/goal, or going along with the rest of the gang saying "well, everyone else is doing it"

Also all those who (no pun intended) play it straight, and can't win for losing.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 07:31 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, I think tsarstepan had the actual answer.
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 08:44 pm
@McGentrix,
I too had the actual answer. There can be more than one.

Just not one you liked.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 09:31 pm
@chai2,
Or those who pursued their sport clean and were pipped at the post by Armstrong (I'm thinking Cadel Evans as a prime example).
0 Replies