Clothing advice needed

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 06:54 pm
I have decided to take up cycling again.

Should I wear tight lycras or just normal shorts ? Can't decide.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 19 • Views: 4,635 • Replies: 26
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 07:05 pm
@the prince,
I have no opinion.
I've known a few big mile cyclists and they wore the gear lycras.

My own odd take is to fit the garb to your ability at any given time.
A sleeko garbed laggard would make me almost smile.
So I'd ramp up re gear as I progressed.

But I'm not a cyclist.

I'm still mourning a cyclist/artist friend. It's been some years now. I can picture him as if yesterday coming home (I was visiting) all geared.
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 07:20 pm
@the prince,
It's just my personal view, G ....
But I find tight lyras really yucko. Razz Wink

But up to you, whatever most appeals to you, I guess.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 07:53 pm
@the prince,
Long distance cyclists swear that anything over twenty miles makes cycling shorts a necessity, if only because they don't have seams or loose fabric to cause chaffing. Some even insist they substantially reduce air risistance. I might agree about wind resistance and a close fitting jersey, but Lycra shorts sound like a bit of a stretch, so to speak.

I don't go far enough for it to make a difference, and wouldn't waste the time involved in putting the on, not to mention the absence of pockets.
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 07:56 pm
@the prince,
Here's some suggestions, having been a regualr cyclist:

At first, if you haven't cycled much, you might consider regular loose cargo or board shorts. If you're going to do it long term, get some decent lycra shorts. These are not inexpensive. Name brand (Pearl Izumi) can go for $80 or more. $50-55 fror biking cargo or board type shorts.

Lycra shorts are very good because they stretch with you as you move, thus preventing friction and rubbing - very useful when you're biking from more than 30 minutes.

Lyscra cycling shorts also have a material that wicks moisture away from your body yo prevent more discomfort. Furthermore, some have energy absorbant cushioning in the seat of the pants (as well as the saddle) to help you with saddle soreness which in the beginning can be a real issue.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 08:07 pm
@the prince,
When Morgan does his Smart Ride cycle from Miami to the keys he wears tight lycras. Tight body hugging material keeps the body cooler. But keep hydrated.
ossobuco

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 08:24 pm
@MMarciano,
http://articles.latimes.com/2003/aug/01/local/me-giffin1

It sort of kills me that his paintings aren't out there online, but I also understand.

Anyway he rode a lot.
the prince

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 11:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Not doing long distance. In Singapore you go 10miles in any direction, you end up in the sea.

Never liked Lycra. Because it errrrr...ummm...shows a lot more than desired. (and I am a very shy person)
the prince

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 11:36 pm
@the prince,
Oh and let me clarify. I don't like wearing Lycra, but boy do I enjoy looking at it Twisted Evil
outgoingpeep

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:14 am
My husband is a cyclist and he wears short, skin-tight legwear. Those cycling legwear are designed to improve comfort and efficiency while cycling. Back then cycling shorts were made of knit black wool and it would hide oil and grease stains. It had chamois leather patch inside the shorts in the crotch area, and it reduced chafing from the bicycle saddle that way it wouldn't be uncomfortable, especially if you were riding for more than an hour. Now a days cycling shorts are made of spandex or lycra and are produced in a variety of shapes and styles. They are made out of elastic or silicone so it will cling to the skin, keeping it in a fixed position. Cycling shorts are supposed to be worn alone with NO undergarments!
Btw: my husband looks hot in cycling gear!
0 Replies

George

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:33 am
The Polish cycling team gives a big thumbs up!
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/599794_426412334076850_701448434_n.jpg
roger

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:14 pm
@George,
Buncha dickheads, ya ask me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:31 pm
@the prince,
My husband has become quite the cyclist, he commutes to and from work and then also does the occasional for-the-hell-of-it long ride (I don't think he's gone over 40 miles yet).

He doesn't own a stitch of Lycra, has been fine in regular shorts. His regular shorts are kind of loose-ish cargo shorts. (Cotton canvas.)

I've been riding more too, really enjoy it. (I have a retro cruiser sort of bike and can wear absolutely anything, though if I wear a skirt I like to wear bike shorts underneath or else I'm distracted by making sure it doesn't reveal too much -- most of the time skirts stay where they're supposed to but every now and then, whoosh!)
roger

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:39 pm
@sozobe,
There is some outfit that makes a little skirt intended to go over bike or other shorts. I'm not sure, but I think it might be Team Estrogen. They are cute, and provide a revealing bit of - well, bike shorts.

Your husband is called "A Fred". That's a good thing to be, by the way.
ossobuco

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:43 pm
@the prince,
I'm still working on your being shy.

I can easily see that, now that you mention it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:45 pm
Seconding the bike shorts with board short covers on them. I have two pairs of those, they really work great and look great too.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:47 pm
@the prince,
An old friend of mine is a very serious biker - does cross-continent rides each summer for entertainment. He's had custom-made lycra gear made for the past couple of decades. The colours are pretty but the whole effect is hideous (IMNSHO) <shudder>

I like the newer generation of baggy bike shorts - high tech fabrics but they're not so icky looking.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_509514_-1___

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/large/AA-BESS-GY-ANGLE.jpg

or

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/large/CA-CGBS-BK-ANGLE.jpg

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_535720_-1___

and whatever you do, stay away from the bib shorts

they're just Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:47 pm
@ossobuco,
have to edit - his paintings are out there online, just not all splattered about.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 04:20 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Your husband is called "A Fred". That's a good thing to be, by the way.

I had to look that up. He is Fred-ish I think!

He has scads of "real" gear (he can go on for a while about how awesome his lights are, oh and don't get him started on his tungsten-studded winter tires) but just refuses to do the lycra thing.

95% of his riding is commuting, and he doesn't want to have to change and he really doesn't want to wear lycra all day. Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 04:21 pm
@George,
Actually second from the left may be a thumbs-down.