Happiness--is it our own responsibility?

Diane

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 08:35 pm
Sweet dreams dear Letty.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:56 am
Letty;
Happiness , in the last analysis, chemistry
not-withstanding, and like everything else,
depends on the circumstances that we find ourselves in. As our existentialist friend Sartre
said........"we are all creatures of circumstance".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:29 am
alikimr, If I subscribed to existentialism, I would agree. Are you familiar with Martin Buber's psychology existentialism? Shocked

Thanks for your input, my friend.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:52 pm
Letty:
I gather you are not an Existentialist, in the philosophic sense, at least. No. I am not familiar with Martin Buber's psychology existentialism.
Is it basically materialistic, where existence preceeds essence , or is it idealistic, which anchors itself to Christian foundations?
Existentially speaking, I must say that the best way I can define my state of happiness that I
can muster from my circumstance on this planet earth is to be "less unhappy".
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:48 am
alikimr wrote:
......Existentially speaking, I must say that the best way I can define my state of happiness that I
can muster from my circumstance on this planet earth is to be "less unhappy".

alikimr brings up a good point:

all 'happiness' regardless of its source, must be tempered by the awareness that on this planet, all is not 'well'; there are miles, and miles to go before we sleep; and to an extent, 'happiness' comes only from adopting the 'social contract' that we do not drop the 'torch', and seek only our own!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:12 am
alikimr, Buber theorized that people had either an I/it relationship, or an I/thou relationship, i.e. if we see a tree in the respect of what it can give us, shade, pretty leaves, etc. then we are looking to get things from people as opposed to giving things. The problem with the I/thou part, is that if one decides to talk about the tree, it becomes an I/it relationship. Sooooooo. It seems rather dead end to me.

Bo, and your line of thought is exactly what I was musing about. You're right, but I have never understood what one person could do to keep that torch alive. See you know Frost. <smile>
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:19 am
everyone in Canada, knows both 'Frosts'!

one merely has to change our every descision into a 'world affirming' one Shocked ; it's that easy! :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:26 am
Easy, he says. Confused Well, for some, perhaps. We Yanks seem to have a bit of trouble with what's easy and what's "I don't give a damn". Hey, I'm workin' on it, Bo. Cool
0 Replies