If a birth control pill were finally made for men, do you think Republicans...

maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 03:24 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Oh don't worry about women, it's been their problem all these years to remember, there's never been a need to give them any help. I mean, it's her problem if she gets knocked up.

1. There has been a problem with women forgetting to take birth control pills. If taken correctly, birth control pills have a birth rate of 1%. In actuality the effectiveness is quite a bit worse than this rate. This is because women forget to take birth control pills.

2. If a man gets a woman "knocked up" it is his problem. It is more a man's problem than a woman's because the woman in this situation has choices even after the pregnancy starts. The man has no choices of his own once the pregnancy starts and is legally and financial responsible for life if the woman chooses to bring the baby to term.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 05:36 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You know. Erectile dysfunction is exactly the same as sterile, which renders the whole thing moot.

If a man has ED, that doesn't automatically preclude him from getting a woman pregnant.

I'm not going to get graphic.
roger

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 06:18 pm
@chai2,
Well, that's what someone here proposed as a solution.

Anyhow, whatever you are thinking about sounds complicated. Also, a birth control pill for men resulting in ED doesn't really imply that pregnancy is desired, even though maybe possible.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 06:30 pm
I remember a class in collage in ]70 where the discussion was about the Pill and some of its side effect. The question was raised regarding a pill for males. The professor told us that there were pills for men but that marketing showed that men were not interested in buying it and that men generally would not take it correctly.

If men got pregnant you can bet it would be on the market and no man would leave BC up to a woman.
chai2

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 06:39 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, that's what someone here proposed as a solution.

Anyhow, whatever you are thinking about sounds complicated. Also, a birth control pill for men resulting in ED doesn't really imply that pregnancy is desired, even though maybe possible.

Confused

No idea what you're talking about. I must have missed a post somewhere.

No one would want a pill that resulted in ED, for obvious reasons, not the least of which it wouldn't be all that effective in preventing pregnancy.

If a man has any functioning sexually at all (ED of course doesn't mean complete inability in most cases) you'd get the same results as the withdrawl method, or when young men say "I didn't go in her, I just rubbed on the outside."
chai2

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 06:40 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

If men got pregnant you can bet it would be on the market and no man would leave BC up to a woman.

No **** Sherlock.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 09:11 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I remember a class in collage in ]70 where the discussion was about the Pill and some of its side effect. The question was raised regarding a pill for males. The professor told us that there were pills for men but that marketing showed that men were not interested in buying it and that men generally would not take it correctly.

What do you mean? Like leave having a condom up to a woman like women do men now?

This whole birth control thing is silly. If a woman doesn't want to get pregnant, she has lots of alternatives. If a man doesn't want to impregnate a woman, he has plenty of options. It's about personal responsibility. But, if both fail, it should be up to the pair to decide what to do about it. It should not be up to only one of them.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 07:54 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Let get birth control pills for men, but include a way to know if he took it.

Turns the head of the penis bright green if the man keeps up with the appropriate dosage? If he forgets to take a dose and it clears out of his system then the head of his penis should change to bright red.
chai2

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 08:18 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Let get birth control pills for men, but include a way to know if he took it.

Turns the head of the penis bright green if the man keeps up with the appropriate dosage? If he forgets to take a dose and it clears out of his system then the head of his penis should change to bright red.

Yes, the same way women have been given the priviledge of having a way to determine if they've forgotten.

The point is, if the original suggestion was serious (having a way to determine if the male took the pill) it's infuriating.

I can't see any humor in it at all if it was a joke.

It goes under the same principle to me of "if men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament."

All of a sudden it's for the man? Ohhhh, well then, let's put in a safeguard to so he'll know if he took it. We need to develop this STAT.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 09:31 am
@chai2,
Quote:
The point is, if the original suggestion was serious (having a way to determine if the male took the pill) it's infuriating.

If you're asking if my intentions for the original post were sincere? They were.

If you're a reasonable male and you are concerned about not impregnating your lover and you are not worrying about STDs then a contraceptive pill (which likely isn't 100% foolproof) is better then no pill at all if condoms aren't used in the act of sex.

It's a matter of trust if a woman wants to have sex with a male (sans condom) to take his word for granted or not in regards to if he is up to date on his contraceptive pill dosage. The same kind of trust can be held by the male partner regarding a woman and her own taking of a prescription contraceptive.
chai2

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:52 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm not questioning the importance of your original post at all.

It's when suggestions are made (by someone else) that something could be done to remind males to take their pill, when woman haven't had that luxury, that I get annoyed. Again, maybe the person was joking.

As I said, if there was a built in reminder thing that could be incorporated into a pill for men, why wouldn't it have already been made available for females?

As far as a matter of trust, I already brought that up.

My feeling is that each person is ultimately responsible for their own behavior. If they don't want to get pregnant, or if they don't want to get their sexual partner pregnant, they are the ones who must take matters into their own hands.

As I also said, it's not a matter of trust, but common sense.

You can trust your partner until the cows come home, but if your partner even accidently forgets to use their birth control, well hello baby.

It was indicated that it would be a breach of trust to ask your partner if they took their pills. That's not true. In fact, I'd appreciate if if I could trust my partner to remind me.

I can just hear the conversation...."But I trusted you that you took your pills every day! Now I'm/you're pregnant!"

"Sorry, I must have forgotten a dose"

I don't trust anyone as much as I trust myself.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:16 am
@chai2,
Quote:

It goes under the same principle to me of "if men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament."

That isn't a principle. It is a bumper sticker. (And a rather stupid one at that.)
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:19 am
@chai2,
Quote:
No **** Sherlock.

I'm on your side, dammit.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:02 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

No one would want a pill that resulted in ED, for obvious reasons, not the least of which it wouldn't be all that effective in preventing pregnancy.

You seemed to miss the joke.

A pill that makes a man unable to get it up would have a rather obvious sign to tell any prospective partner if he wasn't taking his pills. The pill would prevent pregnancy but the lack of ED would just be a very obvious way to tell if someone was lying about taking the pills.

As to who would want that pill? It seems the joke is right there in front of you. You must have missed the small joke dangling there.

chai2

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:10 pm
@parados,
I'm taking this seriously, I don't think any of this is something to joke about, especially making hard-on jokes.

The fact that a man is making a joking matter of it cements the issue for me that it's probably a good thing birth control pills have been so far in the hands of woman. At least we take what they are for seriously.
parados

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:55 pm
@chai2,
Well Mr Swift, are you really proposing the Irish eat their babies? Famine is serious. How could you possibly joke about such a thing?
chai2

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:06 pm
@parados,
Don't compare me to Swift. You were the one suggesting there should be a way for men to be reminded they took their pill.

I'm saying if scientists were willing to do that for men, why haven't they already done it for women.

Don't you even read what you write?

What suggestion does it seem to you that I'm making that is so outlandish?

The premise that one needs to cover their own ass? I know, insane isn't it?

You know what they call two people, a male and a female, who have sex and that completely trust each other to use the proper birth control every time?

Parents.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:09 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Don't compare me to Swift. You were the one suggesting there should be a way for men to be reminded they took their pill.

I'm saying if scientists were willing to do that for men, why haven't they already done it for women.

You are really funny Chai. Sometimes I forget that you aren't serious.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:16 pm
@chai2,
You can't have it both ways.

Nuh uh, I'm a man and I can be trusted to take a pill.....

Uh, are you going to do something to it to remind me if I forget?

I'm thinking perhaps the reason not everyone is as strongly opinioned about EACH person being responsible separately is that, well, most people either have at least one kid already, or expect to have a least one someday anyway.

Oh well, if I get pregnant, I was going to have one or some anyway, this is as good a time as any, and I'm pretty happy about it. At least I will be when I've got the baby.

But for those like me, and I know I'm a minority, the mere thought of getting pregnant is a forgein concept.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd rather get cancer than have had a child. At least with cancer you can work on getting rid of it.

Related to that, believe it or not, I have actually had more than one woman tell me that if I had a baby I would lessen my chances or breast, ovarian and I think cervical cancer.
My answer was "Yeah, but the problem is then I'd have a baby."

If you feel as strongly as I do about not becoming a mother, there's no way you won't take the responsibility on yourself, regardless of how careful the other person is, or say they are.

I may be a minority, but I'm definately not alone.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:37 pm
@chai2,
Actually, I was comparing you to the naysayers of Swift that failed to recognize what he was actually saying.

Quote:
Don't you even read what you write?
While what I wrote might not be all that artfully worded let me spell it out just for you. "Men can be trusted to take responsibility at the point they become incapable of having sex."
0 Replies