Republican Senate Nominee: "Legitimate" rape victims don't get pregnant

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:18 pm
Quote:

Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 36,758 • Replies: 644
Topic Closed

edgarblythe

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:22 pm
Oh yeah. In four years he will be touted for the presidency.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:34 pm
@maxdancona,
This guy is an idiot, but he is partially correct.
From what I have read, pregnancy resulting from rape only happens about 5% of the time, but that is still to many.
I will produce my source in a few minutes, I accidentally deleted it.
Rockhead

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:36 pm
and witches float...
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:44 pm
What is illegitimate rape, and how can you tell that from legitimate rape?
BillRM

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:44 pm
@mysteryman,
Given that couples can have unprotected sex for years without the woman coming up pregnant a one time event would not often result in pregnancy without a woman body shutting anything down.

He is an idiot and even at 5 percents that is a lot of pregnant women in the country due to rape every year.
maxdancona

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:46 pm
@mysteryman,
Mysteryman,

Are you kidding? Five percent is a very high number, even for consensual sex. If you went and had unprotected sex with a willing stranger one time, your chance of conceiving are about 5%.

The study you wanted to refer to is at http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378%2896%2970141-2/abstract. It has the 5% number and puts the number of unwanted pregnancies per year resulting from rape at 32,000.

There are tens of thousands of rape victims each year who get pregnant and have to go through the painful process of figuring out what to do with the result of this traumatic crime.

Republicans who are opposing abortion, even in cases of rape or incest, are trying to have it easy by saying that these rape victims, who they want to force to carry the baby, aren't really victims.

This whole line of argument is sick.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:47 pm
@BillRM,
That's what I said.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:50 pm
@Setanta,
Aren't you paying attention Setanta? A legitimate rape is one that doesn't result in a pregnancy. If a woman gets pregnant, it is proof that deep down the "victim" really wanted it.

That's is what you are saying, right Mysteryman?
Setanta

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:53 pm
Oh come on, Max . . . they all want it . . . that's why they dress like whores . . .
mysteryman

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 05:41 pm
@maxdancona,
That's not what I said, and you know it.
Frankly, I am stunned that you could read what I wrote and so readily, or should I say intentionally, screw it up.

So let me break it down for you, so you understand what I wrote.

Rape is bad
Pregnancy from rape is bad
A 5% pregnancy result from rape does make pregnancy from rape rare.
5% pregnancy is bad
Nobody should get pregnant that way

Is that clear enough for you, or do I need to have a 5 year old explain it to you so you understand.

mysteryman

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 05:42 pm
@Setanta,
if you believe that, you are in need of some serious psychiatric help
maxdancona

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 06:44 pm
@mysteryman,
I am challenging you because ou said this guy was "partially right". Could you clarify what you mean by this?

He is making the argument that we don't need to give rape victims the option to get an abortion because "legitimate" rape victims have some way to prevent themselves from getting pregnant. Mysteryman, do you believe there is any truth to this?

If you really want to defend this argument (which I consider quite sick) then we can talk about whether the 32,000 women who are pregnant by rape each year fits the definition of "rare".

mysteryman

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 06:55 pm
@maxdancona,
Since according to the latest stats, that's only about 5% of rape victims getting pregnant.
5% of anything can be considered rare.
So, the claim that it is rare is true. That was the only thing I was halfway in agreement with.
If you had bothered to read what I wrote instead of instantly reacting, you would have seen that I said this candidate is an idiot.

ANY pregnancy caused by rape is bad, but statistically it is rare.
maxdancona

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 07:21 pm
@mysteryman,
You didn't directly answer my question, but I am assuming we agree on the key points--

Women don't have the innate ability to end pregnancies that they don't want because they were raped. And, there are women who are women who want to the option of abortion because they are victims of rape.

If we agree on these points, then whether 5% is "rare" is rather irrelevant (although I would be happy to have this argument if you would like, but let's not lose the important points here).
edgarblythe

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 07:27 pm
The idiot now says he misspoke. I did not read much of the article. Once he realized the furor he had created, I figure, he had to back off and try to put a new face on it.
JPB

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 07:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
He didn't say where he misspoke specifically, just that his comments didn't accurately represent his support of the victims. He did not retract the statements.

Quote:
"In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year," Akin's statement said. "Those who perpetrate these crimes are the lowest of the low in our society and their victims will have no stronger advocate in the Senate to help ensure they have the justice they deserve."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/19/missouri-congressman-akin-says-misspoke-about-rape-in-interview/#ixzz242vc5DcM

I went to foxnews to get the quote because that's the only coverage of the event they have on the website. All other news sources I checked (ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN) had his original statements on the home pages. I had to do a seach for Akin to find it on fox.
mysteryman

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 07:42 pm
@maxdancona,
We do agree, I was simply saying that his comment about "rare" was correct. That does not imply in any way that I agree with him on anything else.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 07:46 pm
@JPB,
I guess we have to wait until the polls come out to see what he really thinks. Smile
maxdancona

Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
The rumor is that the Republican party is going to push him out by the deadline on Tuesday (after Tuesday they can't put anyone new to run in his place).

I think this guy's career just ended. Such a pity.