They’re 18 for Gods sake

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 01:17 pm
Are you as outraged as we

My sons and I are appalled at the recent jailing—5 years— of a teacher who sexed a several of her students who were however 18
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 18 • Views: 22,360 • Replies: 496

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 02:49 pm
Until the law gets changed or overhauled, that's just the way things are. To knowingly break a law is to face the consequences.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 02:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Of course Ed that almost goes without saying
But it’s still surprising in a day and age of outmoded statutes that remain on the books but no longer enforced
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 03:02 pm
@dalehileman,
It's actually rather mild, compared with some of what goes on.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 03:13 pm
A teacher should not be screwing students. I think jail time is appropriate for sexual contact. If it really is just texting, the teacher should at least be fired.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 03:35 pm
You have got to be kidding me!

Is this the story?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/group-sex-scandal-texas-teacher-sentenced-years-prison/story?id=17028716#.UDAJs7SPWoM

This woman is misusing her position of authority to find sex objects to play with. We have laws against this for a reason, high school students (18 or not) are vulnerable-- especially to people like teachers with the power to take advantage of them.

If we don't jail sexual predators, how will we keep them out of our schools?

I think she got off easy.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 03:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This woman is misusing her position of authority to find sex objects to play with. We have laws against this for a reason, high school students (18 or not) are vulnerable-- especially to people like teachers with the power to take advantage of them.

If we don't jail sexual predators, how will we keep them out of our schools?

In some cultures, what she did would be considered ethical, responsible, and necessary. She would have been doing, in fact, what the society expected of her. And I suspect the sexual health of people growing up in those cultures are better than ours.

I also suspect the reason we have so many sexual problems in our society is because we don't see more of what she did...and because we see too much of what the judicial system did to her.

The people who mentioned that she broke the law as it now stands and is getting justice are correct.

In my opinion, that is unfortunate.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 03:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
First of all, sexual abuse is a real problem for boys, particularly when they are victimized by women. The psychological damage for boys is just the same as it is for girls. But the added problem is that when a boy reports abuse, no one takes it seriously because he is suppose to "enjoy" it.

When we are having this discussion I want to ask the question of how you would feel if the genders were reversed.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 03:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank,

In some cultures little girls are married off as girls to men who are much older then them. They are then introduced to sex by their adult spouse the moment they hit puberty at 12 or 13. In our culture this is considered rape. Who is to judge which culture is correct.

There are plenty of practices that are appropriate in other cultures that we don't accept in this culture.

In our culture it is very wrong for an adult to use a position of authority, particularly as a teacher, to find sexual partners. There are so many things that are wrong (from an American point of view) about this.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 04:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
First of all, sexual abuse is a real problem for boys, particularly when they are victimized by women.

A woman ******* a young man is NOT NECESSARILY sexual abuse.

And a young man getting fucked by a woman is NOT NECESSARILY a victim.

It is my opinion that more young men would benefit from getting fucked by a willing woman than there are young men who would be harmed by that happening.

MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY more!

Of course, you are free to be of the other opinion...and I respect that.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 04:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The issue here isn't age. It is abuse of power. Teachers shouldn't be looking at their students as sexual targets.

If this woman wants to have sex with 18 year olds, there were legal ways for her to find partners.

Teachers are in a position of power. They demand respect. They have the ability to make life easier or more difficult for students. And they have access to future targets for several years (they can be manipulating them at 15 to have them at 18).

I can't imagine how we could accept teachers looking at their students as sex partners. How can a teacher be focused on the education and well-being of potential sex partner?

And the idea that people who want to have sex with 18 year olds would become teachers for that reason is troubling at least.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 04:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The issue here isn't age. It is abuse of power. Teachers shouldn't be looking at their students as sexual targets.

If this woman wants to have sex with 18 year olds, there were legal ways for her to find partners.

Teachers are in a position of power. They demand respect. They have the ability to make life easier or more difficult for students. And they have access to future targets for several years (they can be manipulating them at 15 to have them at 18).

I can't imagine how we could accept teachers looking at their students as sex partners. How can a teacher be focused on the education and well-being of potential sex partner?

And the idea that people who want to have sex with 18 year olds would become teachers for that reason is troubling at least.

I understand how you feel on this, Max. Thank you for sharing. Obviously I feel differently.

I will acknowledge that I am not entirely consistent. I would be troubled more if the teacher were male and the students were female. I would be troubled more if the teacher were male and the students were male.

But the 20 year sentence is way too extreme...and I do think the nature of the female seducing a young male is different from the other two items I mentioned.

Color me wrong, if you must.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 04:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It matters if she is his ******* teacher.

What about that is hard to understand?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 04:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:

Why don't you learn that the world does not revolve around your take on what is proper and what is not. I offered an opinion...and acknowledged other opinions.

By the way, when did you become such a bitch? I do not remember that in you.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 05:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So, you don't like my opinion?

I have in my life a friend of husband's who romanced one student at a university and married another, which made him financially secure for a while, but though I mention that, I don't thing that was primary. Far as I know, they were very attracted.

The number of students and teachers who fell in love or lust is probably uncountable, and some are famous in lit (or other study) history.

High school?

High school - I take it as a power move, plus against an elaborate set of ethics laid out in education departments. I do with university too. Each year, the pickings.

I know the world does not revolve around my opinions.

I talked to you.

Get over it.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 05:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
But go back to this -

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 05:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What is that about? you don't like the word *******?

Sometimes I'm more temperate than others.

In this case it fits. I used that word at a2k many years ago, it is not new.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 05:27 pm
That slut called Brittni Chelps or whatever is a disgrace to her profession. She deserves every minute of her sentence.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 05:29 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I second that.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 05:33 pm
@contrex,
No pun intended (of course).
0 Replies