gollum

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 10:33 pm
I have an idea for a cartoon that I would like a newspaper or magazine to publish (i.e., purchase and pay for).

My ability is only the idea for the particular cartoon. I don't have the skill to draw it.

Therefore, I would like to hire someone to draw and give me rights to the cartoon, which I would sell to a magazine or newspaper and hopefully make a profit.

Can anyone help me with how to find such a person and/or a better way to accomplish the same purpose?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,501 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:21 am
You better start drawing. Even a primitive rendition is better than "an idea". Sketch out the frame or frames of fifty or so of your 'toons and then start looking for an artist/partner.

You might also teach yourself how to draw the thing on your computer (few things new are hand drawn anymore) and then go for it yourself.

I said fifty because you ought to have at least a couple of months of ideas ahead in your head when you get started and of the fifty probably 30 will stink, Laughing so get going.

Joe
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 06:31 am
Check out Writer's Guide and/or Writer's Market. You don't need to buy copies--most libraries have them at the Reference Desk.

Many cartoonists buy ideas--as I remember usually in batches of 10 or 15.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:14 am
And who says you have to be able to draw? There are any number of successful strip that are poorly drawn. Take a look at the first strips of any long running comic... Cartoonists get better with practice.

Now, I know as much as anyone here that thinking about comics doesn't get them drawn. You see Daddy Has a Harbor Seal in a paper near you today? Well, I can dream, can't I? But 1500 verses does not make 4 years worth of publishable cartoons unless I put pen to paper. Which I haven't recently... damn it!
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 09:11 pm
Thank you all. I will check Writer's Guide and Writer's Market.

I should have explained better. This will be for single cartoons. For example, in The New Yorker Magazine single cartoons are interspersed through out each issue. Many other newspapers and magazines also publish such cartoons.

Maybe a better term is a one-frame cartoon.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:18 am
Gollum--

The term is "panel cartoons".
0 Replies