Volunteer Effort to Preserve Hawaiian Language Ends

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:18 pm

Quote:
HONOLULU (AP) — A volunteer effort to type thousands of pages of Hawaiian-language newspapers has ended, but organizers hope the project can move forward in preserving the language and culture.
Ike Kuokoa is an initiative to make Hawaiian-language newspapers searchable online using thousands of volunteer typists to transcribe 60,000 digitally scanned pages in eight months.
The project aimed to have 3,000 volunteers to complete transcribing by Tuesday's deadline, which coincides with Hawaiian Restoration Day, commemorating the end of the Hawaiian Kingdom's brief occupation by Great Britain. November's launch event took place during Hawaiian Independence Day, which marks the day Great Britain and France recognized Hawaii's independence.
By the deadline, there were 15,000 pages complete, falling short of the goal, but exceeding expectations for the amount of volunteers with more than 6,500, organizers said.
Using human hands was necessary after funding for a Bishop Museum project ran out and because no computer software is precise enough to handle the Hawaiian language, with its eight consonants and five vowels, where one letter or glottal stop can make the difference between two very different words.
But organizers also wanted the effort to have a personal touch — giving people a tangible connection to a language that's considered endangered despite efforts at revitalization. They also wanted to give people a hand in helping preserve the language and create online resources for future generations, said Puakea Nogelmeier, director of Awaiaulu, the Hawaiian language educational organization overseeing the project.
"It's not just about the language," he said. "It's about the knowledge."
The remaining pages, he said, will have to be transcribed by computers and checked by humans for accuracy.

Read more:
http://thegardenisland.com/news/state-and-regional/hawaiian-language-newspaper-typing-effort-ends/article_9172126e-a8fb-538b-b575-6562c30d89cc.html#ixzz22KrIkXDR

glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 07:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Wow, Andy!! I missed this when you first posted this. I think all languages should be saved, the idea that a native language could perish is terrible.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 07:58 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm glad you spotted this - it's fascinating.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 08:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
http://www.awaiaulu.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=7

Quote:

HAPENUIA!!!!
UPDATE: FEBRUARY 15, 2013
All 16,000 pages have been uploaded to the internet at
www.papakilodatabase.com.
Its not perfect yet as they are still working out the kinks and a streamlined method to allow volunteers to continue online editing and we will update the site when new announcements are available. Mahalo nui!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 08:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Mahalo for those links, Beth,

I was surprised when, two years ago, this thread got not a single response. I agree with glitter that no language should go extinct.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 08:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Playing Led Kaapana's Black Sand disc as we speak..

I of course agree with all posters so far..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 08:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
sometimes new threads appear so quickly that important/interesting ones slide down the page too quickly

I'm very interested in language survival - on a theoretical basis and also a personal one.

hamburgboy and his late brother spoke Hamburger Platt - it really was the form of German I knew best as a small child. When I went to Germany in my teens and visited with family in Hamburg, one group of cousins always commented that it was like having a live documentary in the house as I would speak Platt with their dad. They had no knowledge of the language - couldn't speak it, couldn't read it.

they didn't know what to make of this when I bought it

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZB3Ii-BrL._SL500_SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 09:21 pm
@ehBeth,
That Nordeutsch Platt is a form of Baltdeutsch and in a number of ways (mostly through loan words and pronunciation peculiarities) related to the Baltic languages of Latvian and Lithuanian. Etymologically some of it goes back to Old Prussian, which is a Baltic, not Germanic, language.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 09:24 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
and funnily (?) my East Prussian relatives spoke French - but with some Prussian 'slang' tossed in. My German is a very interesting hodge-podge. High German and then Platt and then what the Konigsbergers spoke.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 10:35 pm
@ehBeth,
I've been listening to Ledward Kaapana tonight. Fits my mood, it does. The main cd I have is one from my ex, as Ledward performed at a venue he organized in a community center. I've Black Sand too, but this is another one, from the masters series, I suppose available on youtube. Those are very different discs..

I might like Black Sand better.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 02:48 am
Thanks everybody, I know this is Andy's thread, but all of you reminded me and informed me of language variations I wasn't aware of. This should have been caught in 2012, but I suppose a few folks were too worried about hanging on to their guns, not just guns but great big guns. Language matters, it's very important. Communication is so much more important than weapons.

Merry, before you notice, yes, it's 4:45 on the east coast of the US. I woke up about 20 minutes ago, but it was very gratifying to see that others care about linguistics.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:55 am
@glitterbag,
I understand, glitter. I was posting at 3 a.m. local time today. It's 7:54 now. Smile
0 Replies