CONVERTING VHS to DVD

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 03:15 pm
I have a ton ofold family stuff on VHS and I dont want to keep the VHS system anymore. I know that there are DVD-R to VHS converters and that there are VHSto DVD "Wizards"that use your laptop as a digital storage device and then download to a DVD+R. ANyone have any preferences?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,439 • Replies: 11
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 05:22 pm
@farmerman,
I called one of those DVD transfer services and they wantd 9 bucks A TAPE to convert to disc. I asked for a volume discount and they said NO. So its the machine or the software and the wired flash drive gizmp
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
Take the output from the VHS and route it to the aux input of your DVR device. Set your DVR input to the aux input, press play on the VHS and record on the DVR and either get some popcorn and watch the movie or read a book for an hour until it finishes. I use the aux input on my DVR all the time to get movies off my camcorder and camera. Beats the computer hassle.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 08:38 pm
@engineer,
yeh but I pay for spce on my DVR and dont wanna turn it into a storgae device. My DVR only allows about 15 hours (total) capacity/ I wamnt to make permanent records to send the kids or give to relatives. (eg we had a family picnic in 2000 my wifes dad an my mom died the next year).
We have pics of fishing trips with the kids and visits to weird places.(I took everyone to the Great Glen of Scotland and Edinburgh and John O Groats)
oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 11:41 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I have a ton ofold family stuff on VHS and I dont want to keep the VHS system anymore. I know that there are DVD-R to VHS converters and that there are VHSto DVD "Wizards"that use your laptop as a digital storage device and then download to a DVD+R. ANyone have any preferences?

Best thing to do is use a good stand alone VCR, and a good stand alone DVD recorder, and most importantly, to have a time-base corrector in the loop between the two.

Most time-base correctors are super expensive TV studio type equipment, but last I knew (which was some time back) there was a decent model priced at the consumer level. I'll try to look it up and see if it is still on the market.
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:36 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Best thing to do is use a good stand alone VCR, and a good stand alone DVD recorder, and most importantly, to have a time-base corrector in the loop between the two.

Most time-base correctors are super expensive TV studio type equipment, but last I knew (which was some time back) there was a decent model priced at the consumer level. I'll try to look it up and see if it is still on the market.

This is the time base corrector I was thinking of.

http://www.datavideo.us/datavideo-product-families/datavideo-production-accessories/datavideo-tbc-1000-time-base-corrector

I remember it costing $250 new. Briefly searching the internet, it looks like they are costing $480 used now. I'd guess they are no longer being made?

I just downloaded their 2012 PDF catalog and it is still listed as a product though. So I don't know what's up with it.

It's not worth $480, so whatever you do, don't pay that much.

A quick search brings up this time base corrector on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/AVT-AVT-8710-Time-Base-Corrector/dp/B0015M48RS

If the first one is completely unavailable, this might be OK. Note the second customer review about how finicky it is though (the same review also mentions easy solutions).

This site says that there is some sort of cheap videoconferencing equipment that will do time base correction for VHS signals:

http://www.unterzuber.com/TBC.html

It also provides some good before and after pictures that show why you want to have time base correction between your VHS signal and your DVD recorder.

As for DVD recorders, the best for converting videotape were the higher end JVC and Toshiba models from 2005-2006. They had great filters that removed many of the defects introduced by VHS signals (especially if a time base corrector was also used).

However, those models have not been on the market since 2006. If you find one used that is still in good working order, the seller will probably be someone who knows its rarity, and its value in converting videotape, and they'll probably charge a fair amount of money for it.

As far as new DVD recorders go, the better Panasonic models of today are probably the only ones that have filters for removing VHS defects (nowhere near as good as the aforementioned greats from 2005-2006 though). Other brands from today don't have any filters for removing VHS errors, and so will not be nearly as good at recording from VHS.

Panasonic DVD recorders keep the video at maximum resolution (720 x 480) all the way to 4 hour mode, and that stretches the data pretty thin, so if the video has any sort of complicated movement you'll want to keep it to 2 hour mode or better if you can. Otherwise you'll have tons of macroblocking.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:42 am
@oralloy,
yeah, 150-250 tops. The "flahdrive with cables" gimo is making more sense because it uses my laptop hard drive as a temp storage place and then it burns a DVD-R from my HD and then I can trash it after its copied.
Most laptops have DVR or DVD-R copiers .
Im beginning to think that the cable flashdrive gimo is the way to go (and most of them are under 50 bucks)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 08:26 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

yeh but I pay for spce on my DVR and dont wanna turn it into a storgae device.

My thought was that you would burn the videos off to DVD and then delete them off the DVR. In terms of ease and cost, this works really well and is easy and cheap. If you already have a DVR, you might want to try it out.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 08:39 am
@engineer,
How do I get it from my DVR hard drive to a DVD?
engineer

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:05 pm
@farmerman,
All the DVR's I've seen have a DVD player/recorder in it. You put in a blank DVD, call up a burn menu on the DVR and hit go. What brand of DVR do you have?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:14 pm
@engineer,
http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-DC60-Creator-Capture-High-quality/dp/B002H3BSCM

Quote:
Technical Details

EasyCap USB 2.0 Video Capture Adapter provides a link between a PC and a video device with RCA connector or S-Video connector, such VHS, VCR, DVD

USB 2.0 interface, plug and play. Support brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation control. Capture audio without the sound card.

Support All Video Formats: DVD+/-R/RW, DVD+/-VR, and DVD-Video. Applying to internet conference / net meeting. Support NTSC, PAL Video format.

Video input: One RCA composite, One S-Video. Audio input : Stereo audio (RCA)//Dimension (L)88mm x (W)28mm x (H)18mm. USB bus power.

Package Contents: 1 x EasyCAP USB 2.0 Video Adapter with Audio, 1 x USB Cable, 1 x Quick Installation Guide, 1 x CD-ROM

Quote:
First off, let me tell you - This is an amazing deal. I have 3 computers, and while this doesn't work with two of them (It gets a scratchy audio noise, I think it's a problem with NVidia chipsets), it works with the third one. The problem most people are having is that it doesn't "display video correctly". After installing it, it should be recognized as a Syntek STK1160. You'll need to change the video from PAL to NTSC (If you live in America or Japan). Go to Control Panel -> Scanners and Cameras -> and right click on "Syntek STK1160" and select "Video Decoder Property". Change it from "PAL_B" (Or whatever it is) to "NTSC_M" (for America) and "NTSC_M_J" for Japan. You'll know the right one when it says "Signal Detected: 1". Enjoy ^_^

It doesn't work right with VirtualDub, but you can use AMCap (Google it) to record your video, and VirtualDub to edit and produce it.

For $7, it might be worth a try.

You might want to read the other reviews for additional tips and tricks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:39 pm
@engineer,
my cable box DVR has no DVD port. Id need an external. Thats why the cable flashdrive to USB then to a computer makes sense.
0 Replies