Ban guns now! It will stop massacre's right?

parados

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 07:41 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

parados wrote:
ROFLMAO.. So the current waiting period is unconstitutional?

What current waiting period?

In any case, yes. Needlessly hassling people in the exercise of their Constitutional rights, violates the Constitution.
Let's start here.
If the FBI can't conduct an instant check, then the purchaser can wait up to 3 days. That is a waiting period.
In 2010 according to the NCIS almost 10% of purchasers had to wait.
www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/.../2010-operations-report-pdf

Are you going to argue that the NCIS doesn't exist?
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:21 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
ROFLMAO.. So the current waiting period is unconstitutional?

What current waiting period?

In any case, yes. Needlessly hassling people in the exercise of their Constitutional rights, violates the Constitution.

Let's start here.
If the FBI can't conduct an instant check, then the purchaser can wait up to 3 days. That is a waiting period.
In 2010 according to the NCIS almost 10% of purchasers had to wait.
www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/.../2010-operations-report-pdf

Are you going to argue that the NCIS doesn't exist?

There is a considerable difference between a wait for a specific reason (check not complete yet), verses a wait for no reason whatsoever.

Under the UN's scheme, a person would be required to wait out the entire period even if all their background checks had been completed within an hour.

Under the current US system, if the background checks are complete, the person can walk out of the store with their gun.

That said, I see no reason why checks should take three days to complete, and I strongly support the NRA's efforts to get the limit reduced to 24 hours.
parados

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:23 pm
@oralloy,
Wow.. So the "what current waiting period?" was just you being stupid?

By the way, some states impose their own waiting periods.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:41 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Wow.. So the "what current waiting period?" was just you being stupid?

No. It was just me pointing out the reality that there is no such waiting period for most of the country.

parados wrote:
By the way, some states impose their own waiting periods.

True. They are good candidates for getting overturned by the Supreme Court too. Although that might be low-priority on the agenda compared to some other matters.

Next up on the agenda is to get the Supreme Court to rule that people in the US have the right to carry guns when they go out in public, even in places like NYC and Chicago.
parados

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:43 pm
@oralloy,
By the way, the USSC failed to eliminate the waiting period when they took the case. Which raises serious doubts about your claim that it is unconstitutional.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 09:39 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
By the way, the USSC failed to eliminate the waiting period when they took the case. Which raises serious doubts about your claim that it is unconstitutional.

I'm not sure whether you are referring to the old, now-non-existent, waiting period, or whether you are still trying to refer to the current system as a waiting period.

I'll assume that you are referring to a challenge of the old, now-non-existent, waiting period.

Note that at the time that was in effect, the US Supreme Court was not upholding the Second Amendment, and was freely allowing the government to flagrantly violate it.

Note that now the Supreme Court is upholding the Second Amendment, and is no longer allowing the government to flagrantly violate it.

And no. I presented a very compelling case on two fronts as to why needless waiting periods are unconstitutional. There is no possible argument that could successfully counter either of those arguments.
parados

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:26 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Note that at the time that was in effect, the US Supreme Court was not upholding the Second Amendment, and was freely allowing the government to flagrantly violate it.

Note that now the Supreme Court is upholding the Second Amendment, and is no longer allowing the government to flagrantly violate it.

ROFLMAO....

Your world is made up, isn't it?
oralloy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:35 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
ROFLMAO....

Your world is made up, isn't it?

No.

BTW, oral arguments will be this fall for the appeal in the Woollard case (that's the one that will result in Americans being freely allowed to carry guns in public, even in large cities like Chicago and New York).

The Supreme Court will be the venue that ultimately counts, but the appeals arguments should still be interesting to listen to.
parados

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:53 pm
@oralloy,
So, in your world police can't stop anyone for carrying a gun. Terrorists can walk around fully armed and under the US constitution nothing can be done until they actually kill someone. Great. Enjoy your world. I hope you survive it. It's nice that the US Constitution is a suicide pact in your world.
oralloy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 02:55 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
So, in your world police can't stop anyone for carrying a gun. Terrorists can walk around fully armed and under the US constitution nothing can be done until they actually kill someone. Great. Enjoy your world. I hope you survive it. It's nice that the US Constitution is a suicide pact in your world.

My world?

Oral arguments for the Woollard appeal are this fall, according to Wikipedia, with a ruling due early in 2013:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woollard_v._Sheridan

Presumably the next step will be the appeals court en banc.

But it will not be very much longer before we are hearing another glorious ruling from the US Supreme Court.

Alan Gura is the lead lawyer in this case too, just like in Heller and the suit against Chicago.

I wonder if one day he'll be carved on Mt. Rushmore. He may be the greatest defender of freedom the world has ever known.
parados

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 05:41 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I wonder if one day he'll be carved on Mt. Rushmore.

I would guess the odds are a million times greater that he will be gunned down.
0 Replies