Aged centers for the seniors

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:39 am
Assisted living facilities help seniors maintain a healthy lifestyle by providing help with everyday activities. Most will provide meals, cleaning, laundry services, help getting around, as well as a community of other seniors to stay socially involved. Some, but not all, offer nursing care as well....But one of my friends told me about the fairways supported living center and also said that the services that are being offered there are unmatched....
Basic features are nursing facilities for like 24/7 full independency and full privacy to live....
I simply just want to ask that can't we provide the same facilities to the seniors at home and if yes then what would be the average cost......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,965 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 02:00 am
@Micheal222,
It's really going to depend on their exact level of independence.

It could happen that they need full time professional help, and professional help is dedinately not minimum wage. If they come from an agency, it's almost a certain bet it is going to cost more at home. Remember that liability and worker's comp insurance will be your responsibility, as will the various payroll tax deductions and filings. A top level facility is going to have 5 residents per staffer. The average is around 10:1. At home care is going to be 1:1, twenty four hours a day. Most of us couldn't bear the costs.

It's also true that most seniors are going to be happiest at home, with their own furniture, room, and perhaps pets. You will have to run your own numbers to see how it compares. Keep in mind that this might be best for the senior, but not everyone could stand the stress.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 09:52 am
Assisted living facilities can be and usually are very expensive. Most require an initial down payment of about $250,000 and then require a monthly payment of about $2500-$3000. Maybe even more.

If the Senior has long term care insurance, at least some of the expense in the assisted facility could be paid by this insurance. I doubt that Medicare will pay for any of the expense.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:10 am
@Micheal222,
We went through this a couple of years ago. My husband's grandmother who was always so healthy became very ill - she always took care of everything for her and her husband. At first, they did have some one come into the home, but it was extremely expensive even more than the assisted living facility.

Finally they had an apartment available in a very nice assisted living facility and they cost was about $2,500 - $3000 a month and this is in area of the country where the living expenses are very low. Fortunately, they had a good chunk of money saved and my husband was designed trustee of their estate if anything happened to grandmother so he was able to sell their home and set up all their financial stuff to pay for this.

Unless you are well off you cannot afford these places or in-home care. Most end up going to a nursing home unless a family member can take them in and care for them. But the care 24/7 can be difficult and taxing on family members. Most just are not able - need to work themself or it is really too much a strain. This happened to my grandmother - my mother took her in for a while, but really was ill equip to deal with the necessary care of an elderly person and all their medical needs. It mentally and physically draining to care for an adult that needs 24/7 care.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:33 am
@Miller,
Whoops! I think that $250,000 has a severely misplaced decimal point. Around here the "Community Fee" tends to run between two and three thousand, and nothing like a quarter million. Monthly payments can run much higher, depending on the level of care and the type of facility needed.

Some insurance can cover the whole ride, but I know of none that take effect within the first 90 days.
Miller

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 03:24 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Whoops! I think that $250,000 has a severely misplaced decimal point. Around here the "Community Fee" tends to run between two and three thousand, and nothing like a quarter million. Monthly payments can run much higher, depending on the level of care and the type of facility needed.

Some insurance can cover the whole ride, but I know of none that take effect within the first 90 days.

The price does depend on where in the US you live and what types of people you'd like to leave with in your elder years. And of course, how ill you are or maybe ( in the future ).

I should add that for some institutions to add to the selectivity of the inhabitant, the facility may make you to make a large donation ( $25,000)... this is in the case of a religious organization or an organization specifically wanting individuals of a specific ethnicity.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 03:27 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Around here ( Boston area ) rentals for 2 bedroom apartments are close to if not more than $3000/month and thats for "nonassisted" living. By the way, you can buy a parking space around here for about $100,000.
Miller

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:17 pm
@Miller,
For a few selective areas in the Boston region, the cost/month is abut $5000-$6000. I still don't know why the person I was talking about had to pay the down payment of $250,000. It could have been because of a severe disability which would require extra medical care.

Neither health insurance nor medicare will cover assisted living fees and I doubt that medicaid does.

So it looks like long term insurance may be required if the individual is short of cash.

In many respects it's to the advantage of the Senior to stay in his/her own home as long as possible. I think that when Seniors start to live together in their own community, they age more rapidly than if they had stayed living alone or with other individuals who weren't Seniors.
0 Replies

Arbit

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 08:34 am
I think some aged center for seniors are really providing better services for elders, who really need some special facilities to be provided at their stage of life. Some very well organized old age home providers, providing their homes at some reasonable prices with all such facilities.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Aged centers for the seniors
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:56:38