Making my Blackberry into a hotspot for iPod Touch

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:21 am
Must be a way to do this.

So far I've come across Connectify, haven't tried it yet.

About to go out of town for a bit, sozlet wants to bring her iPod and be on Instagram etc. while we're gone. Not sure if we'll have access to wifi, but I will have my Blackberry.

Ideas?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 5,634 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:33 am
@sozobe,
What model blackberry?

The keyword you're looking for is 'tethering.'

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:40 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Tethering, thanks.

Bold 9650.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:44 am
@sozobe,
Looks like you may have to contact the phone company and get a plan to do so with the blackberry. Without paying them for the privilege, you may be violating your usage agreement if you tether it to a computer.

Tethering doesn't always work as a hotspot, by the way. Some phones can only hook up to a single computer via bluetooth, and have to have special software on the computer to make it work. I'll keep looking into it.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 10:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
My brother found a plan for his iPhone for around $20/mo. for 2G data. We were all together for the week of the 4th in an area of no wifi, but were all able to tether off his phone using our PCs, Macs and iPods. Very cool.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 10:34 am
@Irishk,
2 gigs of data? Man, you can blow through that in a cold second these days, haha

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 10:40 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Yeah, might be off a little on that info lol. I remember he told us that he had trouble using it all on from month to month, so maybe it was more. What I appreciated is that there was no hassle whatsoever...just turn on the laptop and voila -- instant wifi.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 10:40 am
What Cyclo said.

My wife has a Blackberry 9780. To use it as a modem it has to be tethered via USB cable, and the computer has to have Blackberrry Desktop installed. I doubt that there's an app for the iPod for that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 02:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
OK, thanks, I'll contact them and see what I can come up with. I'm willing to pay extra short-term to have this option.

Not sure if there will be any computers there at all, though, is that necessary? Or is there a way to do it off the Blackberry alone?
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 02:34 pm
https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/5022/

May work. I downloaded a free tethering app for my android when our internet was down after that storm, but it wasn't great.
0 Replies