I've been having some diet difficulties and need serious help!!

roger

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
No, I'm not saying carbs make you hungry. They fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied, but you don't stay satisfied for very long. You get hungry sooner, and eat more often. You not only cannot avoid all carbs, some you need. Just try to avoid (not completely eliminate) sugar and starchy foods. That's not a complete solution, but it's a very good answer.

No, the no sugar added foods are not necessarily healthy. If they add something like pineapple juice instead of sugar, they are giving you just as much sugar as if the used sugar. They do it bacause they can truthfully advertise "No Sugar Added". Sugar is sugar, whether it is "Natural", or added as pure sugar.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:07 pm
@roger,
Well, I haven't liked what I call air bread since something like 1958. Ahem. I have liked sourdoughs for a long time and pretty much switched to them for taste up until I had some bread with whole grains in it that didn't taste like what I consider yuk whole wheat air buns. Plenty of country breads wouldn't overwhelm your peanut butter.

I just came back from the store, with a bag of stone ground rye flour.

Maybe I'll make myself some pumpernickel - off to look up recipes to play with.
my go to website for bread related matters:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:11 pm
@roger,
Well I just had a Dannon Oikos black cherry greek nonfat yogurt; there's 20 sugars, and 21 carbs... I'm destined to go over my limit for sugar intake today.... I give up I just cantdo this theres too muchsugar in everything!!!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:24 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
Equestrianforlife7xo wrote:

http://m.mrfood.com/Cold-Beverages/Peach-Melba-Cooler

^ I just saw this on tv..... Is it healthy and okay to have? I really watch something summery like this since I can't enjoy anything really sweet Sad

No it's a giant sweet desert with a ton of calories. Sherbet is just sugar and water. Instead buy some fruit tea bags (I like black cherry) and make a big pitcher of iced tea with them. You can even add real frozen fruit to make it more interesting. You can buy frozen fruit in bags at the grocery store. Tea has no calories or sugars. Adding the real fruit will add only a little.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:32 pm
@Green Witch,
Awwww bummer Sad Sorry but that just doesn't sound as yummy as that peach thing! Lol
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:33 pm
@Green Witch,
I'm really craving sweets right now ahhh
Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:37 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
Are you also craving getting fatter? It's basically the same thing.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:43 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
Actually Equestrain, I don't think you are really ready to take control of your eating habits. You want the easy way out and there isn't one. I think you use food for comfort as much as hunger. Your desire to feel good with a quick food high outweighs your desire to look good and be healthy for the long term. You might grow out of this, but you also might go off to college weighing 190lbs. I stick with these types of threads because I always think if I can't help the original poster I might help someone who finds this thread in the future. I'm all out of advice. It's now up to you.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:44 pm
@Green Witch,
True, but you don't know how truly hard it is for me.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:46 pm
@Green Witch,
I am it's just hard to follow through and start something so strict like this when basically all my life I've been eating weight-worry-free!!!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:22 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
If you think it's hard now wait until your metabolism grinds to halt at about the age of 40. I most certainly do know how hard it is to resist food you crave. I love to eat, but I've been careful all my life because diabetes runs in my family. I've been really, really careful ever since I became middle aged because I know once you gain weight it is even harder to lose it. The one thing I'm grateful for is that my family always ate healthy, fresh food when I was growing up and my mother and grandmothers taught me how to cook from scratch. It's something you can learn to do.
Krumple

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:55 pm
@roger,
I also think it is better to eat many small meals through out the day rather than a large breakfast, large lunch and large dinner. I don't eat this way and haven't for a very long time unless it is a special occasion (usually a dinner). Even then I won't eat much or order very large portions if possible.

It is better to eat smaller meals through out the day to keep your metabolism up rather than it peaking and falling off then peaking again and falling. It is more steady to eat smaller portions spread out throughout the day.

I also think it is good to only eat when you feel hungry and to actually allow yourself to feel hungry just for a short time but not too long. Starving yourself actually slows your metabolism which puts your body into store for the future mode which is fat. Also when your body starves it begins to break down muscle and bone to reabsorb nutrients which is not good even if you arn't using the muscles.

I also always try to eat a vegetable with every small meal regardless of what I am having. But this is something that I grew into doing, and it wasn't easy to start it. Now I can't seem to go without.

I also like to eat stuff as raw as possible as far as fruits and veggies go. When it comes to meats you really can't go raw without inviting in some possible health threats. Steak is probably the only meat that you can go very light on cooking and get away with no bad results. Poultry is probably the last you want to chimp on when cooking.

I don't do any dairy at all. If I want a milk type of drink, I go for almond milk. Or if there is something I am making that calls for milk I'll use almond milk instead. It is a tad bit of acquired taste when you first have it but after a while it won't be any different. Unless your brain keeps wanting to compare the two and favors one over the other. Make sure to check if you have an almond allergy before trying it though.

They also make almond cheese which I can't even tell the difference anymore. It melts the same and looks the same consistency. It does have a slightly different taste but once again nothing that you can't get use to.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:58 pm
@Krumple,
Good. We are agreeing on some things, and all of that post.
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:26 pm
@Green Witch,
Thanks
0 Replies