Hey, you fitness gurus, are you supposed to exercise when you are sick or not?

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 06:20 pm
I'm getting over 'flu. Starting to feel better....still have sore throat and congestion. Am I ready to recommence walking?

I seem to tend to relapse easily when I start exercising again, but I'm wondering if that is actually likely or not? Like, is there any actual research on this sort of thing? Perhaps I'd have relapsed anyway, and be just be a healthier relapser?

I'd like to start walking to work again, which takes about 55 minutes at present.

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 16 • Views: 7,744 • Replies: 45

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:21 pm
Alone, sore throat and conjestion are not the flu - unless accompanied by body aches, fever.

I always thought the rule for colds was - if involvement is above the neck, it's OK to exercise; below the neck, no.

In any case, error on the side of caution and give yourself a few more days to rest.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:36 pm
Back along time ago when I used to read Runner's World magazine a lot (ah, those were the days) there was much talk about when it was ok to run again. I mention this as a possible source of some strong opinions.
dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:37 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thanks Punkey.

Believe me I had the rest of the symptoms!

Mine is below the neck

Do you know if there is research support for that view?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll not be running.

How did the opinions trend? Or were there as many opinions as there were people giving them?
Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:39 pm
@dlowan,
It is not wise to stress your immune system. If you must, take a casual stroll when your lungs are cleared and see how you feel afterwards. However, I wouldn't run.
dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:42 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you Ragman. Is it clear that exercise stresses it?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:54 pm
@dlowan,
Too long ago to remember. You couldn't call what I did running, at my speediest. It was equivalent to a fast walk - I found jogging easier that a really fast walk, but that's just me.

I have a slight memory inkling that it was get on out there, with certain cautions (which of course I forget). JoeNation probably has a view on this, whether it is about walking or running.

They were pretty on top of advice re exercise and health issues back then and I expect they still are a source on it.

NY Times might be a good source, with some good keywords.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 08:10 pm
@dlowan,
How long has it been since you did the 55 minute walk?

What I was taught, in various exercise programs/groups I was involved with over the years was ... to take as long getting back to the peak as you've been away from it.

so if you haven't done 55 minutes for 2 weeks, take 2 weeks to work your way back to doing 55 minutes

it's so long ago that I don't recall any science behind it - but the rule (and it was consistent across swimming, dance, running etc back in the day) has always seemed to work well for me
Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 08:17 pm
@dlowan,
If you do a casual or brisk walk (3.5 mph to 4 mph) - not so much of an issue. Running (around 8 min/mile pace) does 'cause you're using more of the reserve area of your lungs. It stresses your body and energy reserves far more. I've done it when I ran religiously... after I had the flu. I didn't feel good for 3 days. It wasn't worth it.

I'd walk causally (1/2 the time or distance) for about a week before I tried doing what I did just prior..unless you were sick for longer than a week. If it was longer than a week...I'd build back up a bit slower.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 08:51 pm
When my body tells me its tired or not feeling well I listen and take it easy for a few days.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:00 pm
@ehBeth,
That makes sense to me, not a fitness guru but often in the past a reader about it.

Ragman, hah, my jog was 4 mph. See, I was close re it being equiv to a fast walk.

I'm interested in Dlowan's base question, about the effect on the immune system re exercise at the end of, say, flu, or even a cold. I'm interested pro or con.

I also remember a lot of stuff about not letting too many days go by lolling about, re loss of (what?) conditioning. But I don't remember that one should just go full force right away. It's been a while, so I figure there is research data out there.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:26 pm
@ehBeth,
That's interesting....been sick for three weeks.

It's become a bit moot right now....I am definitely worse again and lungs are very unhappy indeed, dammit.

I haven't been able to loll about much Osso....either been at work or desperately getting my place on the market.

Today I am lolling! No more opens for a week. And am I ever enjoying a good loll! Just my conscience telling me I must be exercising.

Thanks all.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:36 pm
@dlowan,
Well, just going to work and living through the day is exercise of a sort.

Let your conscience rest, it's good for the soul, if we have a soular system.
dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Lol! Humans are perverse. This is the first time since I have been sick that I CAN actually rest with a clear conscience....and I am restless.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:51 pm
@dlowan,
Figures.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 09:15 am
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:
When my body tells me its tired or not feeling well I listen and take it easy for a few days.
Me, too!! I don't get sick often, but when I do I take advantage and pamper myself.

Mr.Irish, OTOH, enjoys competing, so if he's in training-mode, he'll generally disregard an injury or minor illness and work through it.
0 Replies

Micheal222

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:30 am
@dlowan,
I do really think that if you are taking a healthy diet and taking the daily precautions regarding your health then u can't be sick at any time even if you have flu, cough or soar throat then it would not be a permanent...... It will be temporary..... I used to remember there was a trainer that used to visit the oldies living in the supported living center and i have never seen her suffering from any disease at any time and she always seems energetic and always in a fresh mood..... i m not trying to disrespect any one ...... i m just saying that every individual is different from the other ans so thus their sickness is different from each an other one....
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 07:01 am
@dlowan,
Also not a fitness guru, but I would start walking when you get restless and stop walking when it is no longer fun or when your body tells you to stop. I wouldn't do something more stenuous like running, aerobics or weights until you feel much closer to 100%.
dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:05 am
@engineer,
Does that mean I can stop working when it's no longer fun, too? Wink