Free Will --- or confidence in your feelings

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 05:19 pm
Free will is more about feeling, confidence in doing what you feel is right, feelings, not the dozens of comparative thoughts that may or may not support your choices.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,904 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 05:31 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Do you have at least a rough idea of what the hell you're talking about? Because I sure don't.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 06:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lust, I think Rick is chatting about a different sort of free will than we might. His entails mere psychological considerations promoting a sense of freedom whereas we usually think about inevitability, the future entirely laid out by the physics of cause and effect so to speak beyond our control
Rickoshay75

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Do you have at least a rough idea of what the hell you're talking about? Because I sure don't.

Quite simple, really. Our feelings and instinct are the stimulus that makes us do things. Our related memories are too complex, too far reaching, to rely on our thoughts.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:17 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Lust, I think Rick is chatting about a different sort of free will than we might. His entails mere psychological considerations promoting a sense of freedom whereas we usually think about inevitability, the future entirely laid out by the physics of cause and effect so to speak beyond our control

In this case, cause, our feelings, stimulate us to act. effect, as you said, is beyond our control. Don't quite go along with your laid out future though, not with so many different paths ahead of us, and our feelings and instinct making the choices on which path to take.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 02:26 am
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
Don't quite go along with your laid out future
Not mine but the determinist’s, cited in contrast with the implication in your OP that Free Will is attainable

I’m quite confident that it is, if for no other reason than the determinist’s position is so depressing as to be worthless as a paradigm. Maybe it will eventually be demonstrated that the apparent antithesis is merely a semantic issue

On the other hand since the determinist’s view is so persuasive, the more carefully carefully controlled lab experiment proving most repeatable, perhaps the reasoning behind it will be shown deficient. For instance if the predictability of an outcome seems dependent on the number of causal determinants, given an infinite number of such the outcome is absolutely indeterminate
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:49 am
@Rickoshay75,
I'm still trying to figure out what all that has to do with what is commonly referred to as "free will." But, as dalehileman has suggested, you no doubt have a different definition of "free will" than what is generally accepted.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
a different definition of "free will" than what is generally accepted.
Doubtless Rick tacitly assumes an underlying indeterminism and is merely promoting the idea that we can improve ourselves by the techniques he suggests
0 Replies