Immigration and the new "deferred action"

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:47 pm
What is your opinion?

Good vibe or Bad vibe for America in general.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 5,075 • Replies: 10
No top replies

aspvenom

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 03:06 pm
@aspvenom,
NPR Full Report
Quote:

09:40 am

June 15, 2012
The Obama administration announced today that it will stop deporting younger illegal immigrants who came to the country as children and have no criminal history.

"It is not immunity; it is not amnesty. It is an exercise of discretion," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said during a press briefing.

Essentially, the administration is using its prosecutorial discretion to defer action and allow those people to apply for job permits. This is important, because it means that it can be reversed or altered by any president. That means Obama can do it or Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney could reverse it if he wins in November.

According to the AP:

"The administration's decision will affect as many as 800,000 immigrants. Two senior administration officials described the plan on condition of anonymity ahead of its expected announcement Friday."

"Illegal immigrants will avoid deportation and be eligible for work permits if they arrived in the U.S. before age 16, are younger than 30, have been in the country for at least five continuous years, have no criminal history, graduated from a U.S. high school or earned a GED, or served in the military."

Quote:
The Romney campaign has now issued a statement. It reads in part:

"I'd like to see legislation that deals with this issue, and I happen to agree with Marco Rubio as he looked at this issue. He said that this is an important matter, that we have to find a long-term solution, but that the president's action makes reaching a long-term solution more difficult. If I'm president, we'll do our very best to have that kind of long-term solution that provides certainty and clarity for the people who come into this country through no fault of their own by virtue of the action of their parents."

Rubio issued a statement earlier today, saying that while there is broad agreement that this issue needs to be resolved, this move by Obama "will make harder to achieve in the long run."
Atom Blitzer

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 11:49 am
@aspvenom,
All anyone can do is conjecture theories of whether it will be good for the economy or not, which will be based on political bias, and other personal notions.

No one can really know now, so everyone has to wait and see where it goes.

My personal opinion is that it's a "bad vibe" for America. But hey, what do I know, I'm a bit young to be waddling in politics.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:55 pm
@aspvenom,
What it strikes me as being is ambiguous. I would have pushed hard for The Dream Act, but left legislation for the legislature, not the President.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:28 am
Still another non-solution "solution" from Romney, saying, as per usual, absolutely nothing. "I'll make sure we have a clear long-term solution". Whoopee ****, Mitt. You wanna actually say something about what you think that solution might be? Of course you don't. EVERYBODY wants a clear, long-term solution. GIVE US A SPECIFIC. AT LEAST ONE. What an absolute loser that man is. He can talk more and say less than any three people I know.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 11:24 am
@roger,
Ya, I'm too uninformed to make any opinion about it.
I only heard about it when some of my friends in the engineering club brought up the subject.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 11:28 am
Works for me - I have no desire to see any of these kids get deported. Heck, all I want are their taxes! Let 'em work!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 08:35 pm
re bose4you,
And I've got 20,000,000 US$ in a Nigerian bank account left to me by a corrupt now deposed finance minister which I just need 100,000 US$ for transit fees and exit duty, to get it out of the country If you will just wire me the $100,000, bose4you, I will split the $20,000,000 down the middle with you when I get it. Don't delay bose4you, this is your opportunity to become rich 4 life.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 10:34 pm
I think the hamsters got him--bose4you was promoting some kind of get rich quick scam. Never mind.
roger

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:01 pm
@MontereyJack,
I saw the post, and yeah, they didn't even give us time to play with him.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:50 pm
re roger
Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies