What is the best Text to Speech app for Android?

Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:03 am
I have a LG Optimus Slider Android phone (Gingerbread edition: version 2.3.4)

I'm looking for a Text to Speech app (that doesn't crash) that would read say the text from a browser page. Something I can listen to (newspaper or blog text for example) while I work.

edwinmiller

Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
BTW several android applications are available for converting text into speech but i would like to recommend you two which have high user review and rating. You can choose any from them.

Classic TTS Engine - SVOX

After installing, you can browse more than 25 languages and there are voice packs depending on selected language. In this application, perticular country's flags have been used to identify the language. This application has been combined with 40+ male/female voices portfolio of 25+ languages and allows you to read text from e-book, navigation, translation and other apps. This is free application.

Talk - Text To Voice

This application with the help of TTS engine let you to covert text into voice. This allows to read selected text from browser or mail and listen it. This application also available free.
tsarstepan

Thu 19 Jul, 2012 08:07 am
@edwinmiller,
I kind of wish they had an all in one text to speech app. One that works.

I downloaded Classic TTS Engine - SVOX and then I found out I had to download another app that would use SVOX in order to read Text to Speech (or so it seems). So I download Talking Box. Now after copying and pasting an article length bit of text into the text box, I can't get the app to read more then a single sentence at a time. AKA its useless as a text reader. I can't keep pasting a single sentence at a time and having it read it back to me AND work at the same time. This inherent flaw defeats the whole purpose of having a text to speech app that allegedly reads text off a browser and apparently it doesn't. Am I doing something wrong here?
Irishk

Thu 19 Jul, 2012 08:30 am
@tsarstepan,
I have a couple of android devices and whenever I have questions about a specific app or root technique I first snoop around on the xdadevelopers website. Great info there.

Here's an app developed in 2010 that looks interesting...

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/cant-read-your-rss-listen-to-them-with-feedspeak/

You'll probably find something more recent to fit your needs...or at the least, you can get some of your questions answered on their forum.

HTH.
tsarstepan

Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:54 am
@Irishk,
Thanks for the forum link. I definitely dive into their brain pool for help. Smile
0 Replies

shimply

Wed 1 Oct, 2014 03:31 am
@tsarstepan,
Well i think that classic text to speech engine is really a good app.
0 Replies