Time simply does not exist

xxxx

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:22 am
time is an abstract measurment. Time is not needed in the universe. The natural world is simply movement through space and the coversion of energy to matter and matter to energy. Even without time the world would be able to function properly. There is no need for it.

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:20 am
@xxxx,
Without time, matter cannot move through anything and cannot convert into anything.

The human perception of time may be an abstract concept, but time itself is a key component of the physical universe.
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:46 am
@rosborne979,
time and space are conjoined
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:00 am

You need to get psychedelicized . . .
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:21 am
@xxxx,
xxxx wrote:
time is an abstract measurment. Time is not needed in the universe. The natural world is simply movement through space and the coversion of energy to matter and matter to energy. Even without time the world would be able to function properly. There is no need for it.
How long did it take u to write that ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:43 am
time is that thing that keeps all other things from happening at once
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:34 am
There are different definitions of time that lead to people arguing past each other.

There is the idea of time as being the sequence of events in the world/universe.

Then there is the idea of time as being the measure of that sequence of events, which is what 4x seems to be getting at. As far as measurement is concerned it is not needed (i.e. necessary) in the universe. Generally, people have a need to measure. The universe does not.

farmerman wrote:
time is that thing that keeps all other things from happening at once

That would make time to be some sort of force. I don't think it is. Time doesn't keep all things from happening at once. Time is the fact that, because of other circumstances (namely, the physical properties of the universe), all things don't happen at once.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:41 am
@xxxx,
The issue lies with the definition of "existence", not "time" per se. If "existence" is taken as relative to an observer then the issue dissolves. (Note that some cultures have no linguistic tokens for "past" and "future"....only "now" and "not now". Don't be mesmerized by "western scientific chauvinism".)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:03 am
@fresco,
Do those cultures have a definition for memory's opposed to expectancy's ?
fresco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:09 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I don't remember such details. Try googling "tenses+ comparative linguistics " or "language + no tense". I think there is a reference to Amazonian or Aboriginal languages.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:23 am
@fresco,
lets stick with physics and not parapsych
fresco

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:27 am
@farmerman,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13452711
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:40 am
@xxxx,
I remember this conversation a long time ago with one of my professors. He used to joke that time is defined by the number of ticks and tocks of their clocks

At the most fundamental level of physical reality, I think time does not exist, because it looses precision at the level of atoms. So I think time is only an approximate concept that exists macroscopically.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
@xxxx,
You say
Quote:
The natural world is simply movement through space

Movement cannot take place without two other things: space and time. It's the physicist's Holy Trinity -- space, time and motion. None of the three can exist without presence of the other two.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

You say
Quote:
The natural world is simply movement through space

Movement cannot take place without two other things: space and time. It's the physicist's Holy Trinity -- space, time and motion. None of the three can exist without presence of the other two.

As past events disappear and new events show up time can well just be the measurement on "motion" "between spaces of information" where motion itself refers to "awareness" ( self informing system) on changing states of content in different axis of said space...nor do I see motion as fundamental nor time...for all that I know, one substance, change in arrangements of that substance, and 1 dimensional space as the extension of the said substance arrangements suffices for describing the workings of reality...
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:53 pm
@xxxx,
xxxx wrote:

I agree with the first part about time being movement, but conversion of energy to matter needs to be further explained.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:57 pm
@xxxx,
xxxx wrote:

On second thought time is important in many of our math equations. MPH, Watt hours, etc.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:34 pm
@Rickoshay75,
loooooool
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:13 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

The human perception of time may be an abstract concept, but time itself is a key component of the physical universe.

Time only has meaning to humans, their motion measurement methods. and motion calculations.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 08:31 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

Time only has meaning to humans, their motion measurement methods. and motion calculations.

Wrong again. Without time there can be no motion. Motion has duration and that is one of the things that time measures. (The other is interval.)