Chicken, chicken, who's got some chicken? (Or other new recipes)

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:21 pm
I think I'd enjoy having some chickens to raise, or I would have in a former life.
Best chicken I ever tasted was a roast chicken in Strove, a small village about ten miles from Siena in Tuscany. Plucked, as it were, out of the yard next to the small inn/albergo. Talk about farm fresh. Very good flavor.

Anyway, I seem to take after my mother and mother in law - now there were two women who weren't very good cooks but tried, and I'm sort of like that. It was sad when we went through my mother in law's house after she died, her two sons and me. The recipes: I see them as a kind of hope in her heart for happy family around the table. I've made fun here on a2k about her cooking, but true as it was that she served lime jello with mustard in it, she loved the cooking for the family. And the Dad was good with making chicken and dumplings.

Well, I put both of our mothers to shame on the recipe collecting. I get a lot of fun out of reading recipes and follow a lot of food blogs, have my own recipe files, and keep some "favorites" on food sites. No way on earth I could ever try all those recipes.

So - I tried a new baked chicken recipe today. Actually yesterday and today, since I marinated the chicken overnight. Different from my usual go to roast chicken with lemon and garlic, or even the recent one with blackberry jam and soy sauce (sounds like a non sequitur, but tasty).

Here's the recipe I disobeyed - I didn't grill it, I baked it; my yogurt was not fat free; I used olive oil; my ginger was fresh. The chicken was eight chicken thighs. I baked it at 375 for something like 40 minutes.

http://www.food.com/recipe/yummy-yogurt-marinated-chicken-30724

Yummy Yogurt Marinated Chicken
Ingredients:
Servings: 4-6

1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
4 - 6 boneless chicken breasts

Directions:

1 Combine first nine ingredients,and pour into a large ziploc bag.
2 Add the chicken to the bag, seal, and turn bag to coat chicken with mixture.
3 Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
4 I think overnight is best.
5 You can grill over indirect medium heat until done.
6 But I used my Showtime Rotisserie.
7 If you have one, (and if you don't, they're very cool), use the flat basket and cook for about 25 minutes.
end/quote

The taste test will occur soon.

So, what new recipes have you tried lately?

ossobuco

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:53 pm
Strove in 1988:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/Strove353.jpg

the yard and the yard guy, who greeted us when we arrived and showed us where to park:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/Stroveyard354.jpg

They had chickens and guinea hens.
He asked if we were German. He was very happy when we said we were from the U.S. (There is or was a german resort about a mile's walk away.) The inn, Casalta, was something of a destination for bicyclists. One of my favorite places on earth, at least then. I did a series of paintings, on the corny side, but the place made me attached - the owner told us all about the Palio, was very gracious (we exchanged notes for a few years), and the tiny restaurant was out of this world - plus, there was a group of local musicians on some evenings.
We stayed there nearly a week, not wanting to leave.

I'd like to send them some of the paintings (I sold several, but there are some left) but postage is an impossibility.

All right, back to food. When I ran across that recipe, I had been looking in my files for another one and missing it. I'll post that one tomorrow since I did eventually find it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 07:45 pm
Well, Miss Head in Bowl likes the juice on her kibble.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sun 15 Jul, 2012 07:14 am
Thank you so much for sharing this and those wonderful pics.

If I can't grill it, it doesn't get cooked. I simply put 1/3 nutmeg and 2/3 garlic powder on one side of the chicken at the turnover point.

I never eat thighs. Find them too fatty.
boomerang

Sun 15 Jul, 2012 07:40 am
@ossobuco,
I have nothing to share but I'd like to read along looking for something to cook. I hardly ever cook chicken anymore, it's so hard to find one now that isn't injected with salt water and I just don't like the spongy texture of the meat. I miss having the bones to make stock.
jcboy

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 07:28 am
@ossobuco,
I’m going to be making chicken cacciatore tonight, found this recipe online.

One 3 1/2 pound chicken, cut into pieces
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced onions
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup white wine
2 cups peeled and chopped, firm ripe tomatoes (or canned plum tomatoes in their juice)

Method
1 Rinse chicken and pat dry. Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add the onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Push the onions to the side. Season the chicken pieces with salt on all sides. Add the chicken pieces, skin-side down. Cook until the chicken skin is golden brown, then turn pieces over and brown on the other side. Add the garlic to the pan and cook a minute more.

2 Sprinkle pepper over the chicken. Add wine and simmer until reduced by half. Add the tomatoes, lower the heat and cover the skillet with the lid slightly ajar.

3 Cook the chicken on a low simmer, turning and basting from time to time. Cook until the thighs are very tender and the meat is almost falling off the bones, about 40 minutes. If the stew starts to dry out, add a couple tablespoons of water.
ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 03:56 pm
@jcboy,
I love chicken cacciatore (and I've had rabbit cacciatore a couple of times, so if you look for other recipes, consider cacciatori (cacciatores?) with rabbit too, probably authentico, and then substitute chicken for the rabbit.

Oh, hi, Dlowan..

I've given up trying to find the recipe for the first cacciatore I made, from an article with great photos in an old LA Times magazine section. It had some artichoke hearts in with the rest of the usuals..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 03:59 pm
@PUNKEY,
I clip off a bunch of the fat - like the thighs for the darker meat/flavor.
Different strokes!

0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 04:02 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah.
I buy chicken now about once every two months, if that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 04:14 pm
Ok, here's the recipe I was looking for when I ran into the last one I showed re marinating chicken with yogurt:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/07/yogurt-marinated-grilled-chicken

Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken
This dish is truly indestructible because the cutlets marinate in lots of yogurt, olive oil, and salt. That way they stay juicy, briny, and flavorful. Because they're pounded thin, they cook quickly and evenly, so there's not a lot of time spent poking and prodding and stressing about whether they're done.

6-8 servings
Recipe by Jenny Rosenstrach and Andy Ward
Photograph by Mark Peterson
July 2011

http://www.bonappetit.com/images/magazine/2011/07/yogurt-marinated-grilled-chicken-h.jpg

Ingredients

8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 3 pounds)
2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems
1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more for seasoning
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 2"piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
ingredient info
Garam masala, an Indian spice blend, is sold in the spice section of better supermarkets and at Indian market.

Preparation

Working with one chicken breast at a time, put chicken between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound to 1/2" thickness. Transfer chicken breasts to a resealable plastic bag.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour yogurt mixture over chicken, seal bag, and turn to coat.

Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Brush grill grates with oil. Scrape excess marinade off chicken; season with salt.

Grill chicken, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side.

ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 04:17 pm
@jcboy,
TWO garlic cloves?

Heh.

Heard of chicken with 40 cloves of garlic? That's a famous or semi famous recipe, not presently in my files, will have to look it up.

Re Italy, use of garlic varies by the regions, so two may be right in some places.

Irishk

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
...the recent one with blackberry jam and soy sauce (sounds like a non sequitur, but tasty).
I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about this recipe when you get a minute Smile
ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 04:30 pm
@ossobuco,
There's an ad for gastric bypass unfortunately situated right over this recipe - which I think is a good one:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/blpoul49.htm

Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic (Clay-pot) Recipe
By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, About.com Guide

Do not fear the large amount of garlic in this recipe. Garlic cloves are nutty and mellow when cooked whole. Once you try it, you may end up adding even more garlic, because they are so delicious. This classic chicken recipe includes vegetables for a meal in one pot. If you do not have a clay cooker, you can use a large covered Dutch oven and reduce the oven temperature to about 375 F.
Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Pre-Soak Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes

Yield: 5 to 6 servings

Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried sage leaves
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
40 cloves garlic, whole, peeled (about 2 to 3 heads)
3 carrots, cut into 4-inch lengths, large ends halved lengthwise
6 baby new potatoes, scrubbed, skins on
1/2 pound pearl onions, blanched and peeled
1 whole large frying chicken (4 to 4-1/2 pounds)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

Soak top and bottom of 3-1/4-quart (3.25 L) clay cooker in water for 30 minutes; drain. Line bottom and sides of cooker with parchment paper.

Combine olive oil, rosemary, thyme, sage, and lemon juice in a large zip-top bag. Squish to combine. Add garlic cloves, carrots, potatoes, and pearl onions. Seal bag and turn until all vegetables are coated. Scoop out the vegetables (reserving the marinade) and place them around the outer edge of the clay cooker, leaving room for the chicken in the center.

Use the remaining marinade to coat the chicken, rubbing it into the skin. Place the chicken in the center of the clay cooker, breast-side up. Sprinkle chicken and vegetables generously with salt and pepper. Cover.

Place in a cold oven and set temperature to 475 degrees F. (250 degrees C.). Bake until chicken is tender and juices run clear when thigh is pierced, about 1-1/4 hours. Remove cover and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes until chicken is crisp and brown.

Carve chicken and drizzle with pot gravy. Serve with the whole garlic cloves, vegetables, and French bread.

Yield: 5 to 6 servings
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 04:31 pm
@Irishk,
I think I started a thread on it; if not, the recipe's handy. (It's really good and, besides that, easy) Back in a minute. Or maybe more than a minute, as I'm getting flooding warnings.
Irishk

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll be here. I'm downloading library books.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's a post with the recipe. I didn't have cherry preserves, and used blackberry or some other berry the times I've made it.

http://able2know.org/topic/72647-238#post-4791503
Amanda Gold is the columnist, always a good read.

Roasted Cherry-Mustard Chicken Legs
Serves 4
4 whole chicken legs (chicken leg-thigh quarters)
2 tablespoons olive oil
-- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1/4 cup cherry preserves
2 teaspoons stoneground or Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon melted butter, slightly cooled

Instructions: Preheat the oven to 450°. Place one rack in the top third of the oven, and one rack in the bottom third.

Rub the chicken legs all over with one tablespoon of the olive oil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Place on a lightly oiled sheet pan (I use glass baking dish), and place in the oven on the top rack. It will cook for a total of about 40-45 minutes. (I set oven at 425 and cook a bit longer)

Meanwhile, make the glaze by whisking together the preserves, mustard, soy sauce and butter, and set aside. If it starts to seize up from the butter before you're ready to use it, microwave it for 10 seconds, then stir.

In the last 10 minutes of chicken cooking time, brush the glaze a few times over the chicken legs. Brush again five minutes later, and again just before removing from oven.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/06/24/FDIL1JUHCB.DTL#ixzz1darDdNgj
Irishk

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 04:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Sounds delicious! Been looking for more Asian-y type recipes for chicken - love anything sweet 'n sour, too! Thanks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 05:34 pm
@ossobuco,
That looks stupendous.

The clay pot one too, I'd like to try that. I have a clay pot, and usually pull it out once a year, for Thanksgiving turkey. Then I say "Wow, that worked so well for my Thanksgiving turkey, so fast, so moist, so tender" and then I put the clay pot away for another year. Which is silliness.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 05:55 pm
My easiest chicken recipe ever, and maybe the most delicious, was - I think - from Splendid something, probably Splendid Table, but I'm not sure of that name - it was the first of the books. It involved extirpating the chicken supremes from the breasts, and sauteeing them in hot butter.

I gave up the book, as it was in shreds from use, so I can't verify this.

Of course, a long time later, this depends on the chicken.
Irishk

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 06:44 pm
@ossobuco,
If you hate mayonnaise like I do, I found this great recipe that I use to make chicken salad.

Creamy Boiled Dressing

1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
dash of freshly ground pepper
pinch of dill seed

Mix ingredients in top of double boiler. Cook over hot water until mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly. Cool. Store in covered jar in refrigerator.
Makes 1/3 cup.

I always double the recipe and it comes out fine.

Omygosh...it's soooo good!