I want to go to school...

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 02:41 pm
I spend so much of my time online these days, I figured I might as well be learning from it....so here's the reason for this post:

Do you know of a reputable course that can be taken online for intermediate web design/development instruction? Is there a difference between web design and web development....if so, what exactly is it?

With 2 little ones at home it's very hard to take anything 'night' classes. So sadly, that's not really an option right now....

The self-taught method generally fits me fine, and it's gotten me to where I am (not all that far, but far enough to create a nice looking site for myself). I've bought a book on javascript, have am going through various tutorials on XHTML right now....but I really want a structured learning tool....have any ideas for me?

I am not really looking for links to the best tutorials sites- I've found hundreds on my own and w/ the PORTAL ...but not to say they're not good - because they've all helped me to some degree..I guess I'm looking for that 'schooled' structure...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,904 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 02:45 pm
I hear ya.

Personally I hate the courses, and prefer to elarn by myself. But that doesn't give me a little piece of paper saying I know how to do it so I am looking into some web development courses as well.

I've looked at a site called ed2go.com (or something similar).

It has very cheap courses on this subject (someone said a price around 60 or 70 bucks) but I don't know if they are worth anything to others. I doubt it.

The univerisity of Phoenix seems to be the "real" uni with the biggest online course presence. Thing is, they seem expensive. The prices about the same as a regular college tuition.

And as to web design vs. development I see web design as covering the basics of graphics and layout while web development can include site management, programming, SEO........
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:05 pm
I am maybe cheap...but I'm not really looking to pay full $$$ for an online course....

*sigh*
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:06 pm
What about the ed2go ones? That's about 60 from what I hear.

If you are looking for free ones, there are very few and they are closer to tutorials than courses.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:28 pm
no...free is not a necessity - i believe you get what you pay for. I will check out ed2go.com
0 Replies

kateri

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:23 am
Re: I want to go to school...
onyxelle wrote:
I spend so much of my time online these days, I figured I might as well be learning from it....so here's the reason for this post:

Do you know of a reputable course that can be taken online for intermediate web design/development instruction? Is there a difference between web design and web development....if so, what exactly is it?

With 2 little ones at home it's very hard to take anything 'night' classes. So sadly, that's not really an option right now....

The self-taught method generally fits me fine, and it's gotten me to where I am (not all that far, but far enough to create a nice looking site for myself). I've bought a book on javascript, have am going through various tutorials on XHTML right now....but I really want a structured learning tool....have any ideas for me?

I am not really looking for links to the best tutorials sites- I've found hundreds on my own and w/ the PORTAL ...but not to say they're not good - because they've all helped me to some degree..I guess I'm looking for that 'schooled' structure...

Thanks so much for asking this question. And, thanks to all who answered.

I am interested in learning some web design but need a structured situation at this time and am confronted with public transportation and scheduling issues. Am about to check out ed2go site as well.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:57 am
kateri - i choose to go the self-taught via book - check out books by Pence....i have a CSS book by him that is absolutely fabulous!
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:21 am
@onyxelle,
Hi Onyxelle,
Web design mean to work on front end to design a website or you can say the outer look of any website. Web designer designs the website and check how the website should be so that website can be designed which looks attractive to the user.
Web development mean to work basically on back-end of the website
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:29 am
@onyxelle,
Have a look here: https://www.coursera.org/courses

and here: https://www.khanacademy.org/

I don't know if they have exactly what you're looking for.
0 Replies