Drugs & Mental Disorders

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:00 pm
Drugs are known for their effects they have on the human brain, but most drugs also affect the body too as the body and the brain are intimately linked. Some drugs have been linked to mental illness such as Marijuana and its linkage to schizophrenia. Some people can be diagnosed with schizophrenia without using any such drugs and in so does that mean their evolution to schizophrenia was a normal process? In being a normal process does it then rule marijuana out of being classed as a drug? (As the definition of a drug is a substance that alters ‘normal’ bodily function) Is schizophrenia a real medical disorder?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,856 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:17 pm
@MrIntegrity,
Quote:
Is schizophrenia a real medical disorder?
I’m sure it is though your point is well taken since I suspect the side effects of many prescription meds are downplayed by the Medical Establishment

http://able2know.org/topic/193722-1#post-5042477
3lab0rat3

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:22 pm
@MrIntegrity,
There is no reliable research, that I am aware of, that concludes that Marijuana causes or "is linked" to Schizophrenia. Let me know if you find some evidence that suggests otherwise, because I would like to read it.

Of course, it has hallucinogenic properties and this doesn’t help people with schizophrenia who might already be struggling to sort out the details. In my personal experience, it is common to have a patient diagnosed with schizophrenia return with a relapse of symptoms (after experiencing some success with their therapeutic medications for some time) and state they began smoking marijuana again. It is also common for many of these patients to state that they believe marijuana helps them.

As far as being a legitimate medical condition, it really depends on your definition of legitimate. The truth is, the condition is not very well understood; however, “understanding” never been part of the criteria for “real medical disorders.”
0 Replies

MrIntegrity

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:27 pm
@dalehileman,
By no means do I think schizophrenia is completly made up. What I do think is that it should be pretty difficult thing to diagnose knowing how complex the brain is. In it's complexity I would wonder if their are differnt types of schizophrenia each requireing their own unique specailized medication. In saying that I also believe their is no REAL evidence of schizophrenia being an actual medical disorder. 'They' say it's a chemical imbalance but I'm quiet sure you can't test for this chemical imbalance. It's not like we can just jab a syringe into someones brain and extract some brain juice for testing! Therfore I am to assume schizophrenia is just a theory.
tylerdvorak

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:30 pm
@MrIntegrity,
Yeah, but symptoms respond to medications.
JoeWillis

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:45 pm
@tylerdvorak,
Do symptoms respond to medications? Or ... do people respond to medications?

What I'm saying is maby these medications have an effect on people without such conditions. Yes I'm sure these medications have a 'positive' change on persons with such conditions. But is it possible these changes are not positive and are actualy negative changes?

I guess it comes down to how we preceive such things. I'm not sure if you have herd of the pineal gland, its this rice sized gland in the middle of our two hemospheres of the brain and it has been linked to the huallcenagenic molecule DMT dymethlytryptamine. This molecule is known to cause visions. A symptom of schizophrenia. Our brains naturally produce DMT but it's usally during REM(Rapid Eye movment) sleep or deep sleep. It may or may not be the cause of dreams.

Rick strassman wrote a whole book on the molecule DMT the book is titled "The spirit molecule"

I watched a 3 hour documentary on Youtube about how the American Psychiatrist Assosiation operates, & it seems to me to be pretty corrupt. They release a new book each year called the DSM and it contains all the mental disorders and their symptoms.

The thing is when-ever they want to add new mental disorders a board of about 20 men vote on whether or not it this new disorder shall be enterd into the DSM or not. Until 1992 homosexuality was a mental illness. It was removed due to pressure from gay rights actavists.

I'm assuming over half of the 20 men who vote on mental disorders will be on the payroll of the pharmecuatical industry. Stratigically they have too much money for them not to employe such a tactic.
tylerdvorak

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:54 pm
@JoeWillis,
No, I am fairly certain that these changes are negative.

As far as "symptoms" responding or "people" responding, use whichever term you find least objectionable.

I am familiar with Strassman. There doesn't exist any type of quality research to support his theory, I am afraid.

DSM doesn't come out every year.

Other than these minor details, I totally agree with you.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 05:15 pm
@tylerdvorak,
Welcome to a2k, tylerdvorak (I misspelled your screen name earlier on another thread).

You are a boost here.
MrIntegrity

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
@tylerdvorak,
Yeah I understand that schizophrenia's symptoms are very negative. Although I have never meet someone with the 'disorder'. What I'm saying is that possibly it's not even a disorder and just mis-understood. Although I could be wrong. From what I'm aware of seeing things is one of the symptoms. I also know that Nikola Tesla (The greatest man who ever lived imo) had vision on a daily basis. Some of his best ideas come to him through visions.

For example; Apprently one night Tesla is laying in bed and he gets a vision, he sees angels comming down from the sky. Eventually one of thee angels morphs into his mother. Something like 3 days later her finds out his mother had died on that exact day he had the vision.

This actually led him to believe that he and his mother's brain were on the same frequency, which in turn gave him the idea of radio transmission via tuning the frequency.

I don't know man maby theirs more to this pineal gland **** then the main stream media gives it credit. Actualy I'm not even aware if anyone in the mainstream has even admited it exists, they don't teach about it at school or university that I'm aware of.

One more side note, Now this is going to sound kinda of conspiracy but don't throw me in the crazy basket just yet hear me out. I don't know if this is true but my cousin told me he read an article about fluoride. He told me the the highest concentration of fluoride in the body is in the pineal gland. Apparently this leads to calcification & hardening of the pineal gland.

Don't quote me on anything I just said I have not seen any evidence of any of my claims but it's just a theory.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll second that, while holding my breath.

Sure, you bet some of these antipsychotics can have an effect on normal people, though I'm reluctant to discuss exactly what might be meant by normal. Actually, most of the mental and personality disorders appear to this layman to be normal perceptions, traits, and reactions carried to a more extreme level than what we see in the "normal" range.
MrIntegrity

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 05:54 pm
@roger,
Yes I agree preception is everything, normal to me may not be normal to you. I think society needs to me tolernt of schizophrenic people, and if god tells them to kill their whole family then so we must accept their right to do so.

JK really that's crack ups.
roger

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:03 pm
@MrIntegrity,
I hope you don't think we are in agreement on that last statement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:05 pm
@MrIntegrity,
You think marijuana is causatively linked to schizophrenia?

Pass the brownies.
MrIntegrity

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 08:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Personally I don't think marijuana is linked to schizophrenia, infact I don't even think schizophrenia is a real medical disorder. They way I see it is that all our brains are unique and so is every case of schizophrenia so I think all our brains are just including the ones with 'disorders or illness' are all just differnt conditions.
0 Replies

Isabela

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 02:23 pm
@MrIntegrity,
yes but mostly the brain go damaged or stuck by the use of drugs... drugs are very dangerous to health
0 Replies

Isabela

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 10:48 pm
@MrIntegrity,
drugs are very dangerous for health and they effect badly on human brain...
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 10:52 pm
@Isabela,
I do so hope the infantile Isabela stops posting so much.
roger

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 11:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Possibly a language student hoping to engage in real conversation, rather than ask complex questions. Anyhow, that's my hope.
Micheal222

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 04:18 am
@roger,
I have seen two to three patients till now living in the assisted living centers who r suffering from this disease ...
Basically Schizophrenia is a mental illness that usually strikes in late adolescence or early adulthood, but can strike at any time in life. The signs and symptoms vary from individual to individual, but all people with the disorder show one or more of the following symptoms...
Delusions
Hallucinations
Bizarre behavior
Disorganized speech
Negative symptoms": This includes lack of motivation or interest, diminished cognitive functioning, and decreased emotional expression.
0 Replies

Micheal222

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:38 am
@MrIntegrity,
Some oldies that have the habit of drinking or u can say like those who are alcoholic and also drugs addict what type of measures should we have to take for them so that u know the environment of the old aged houses would not be effected........
0 Replies