Coming Out Quietly

sozobe

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:25 am
I think this is a cool development.

First one I noticed was the casual aside about Jim Parsons (Sheldon Cooper on "Big Bang Theory") in a NYT profile. "Oh he's gay?" I thought. "Huh. Did I know that? Oh well, anyway...."

It did get a bit of notice, but seemed to have passed by without much of a blip.

"Big Bang Theory" is a popular show and everything -- I was around for Ellen when that was the Hugest Deal Ever for like 6 months. I consider this progress.

Then just read this on the Daily Dish:

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/07/anderson-cooper-the-fact-is-im-gay.html

This was always a little wink-wink nudge-nudge, and I'm impressed with Anderson Cooper that he's just gone ahead and said he's gay. Will be interested in how big of a deal this one is -- so far have only seen it in the Dish.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 11,181 • Replies: 113
Topic Closed

Cycloptichorn

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:33 am
Great article!

The Dish has been crowing - ever so quietly - about the fact that our Prez reportedly reads it as one of his daily blogs.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:35 am
@sozobe,
I'm kinda over the whole "coming out" issue whether done quietly or with fanfare.

sozobe

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:38 am
@DrewDad,
I think Anderson Cooper makes a good point in his article about the importance of it though (and why he's choosing to do so now):

Anderson Cooper wrote:
Recently, however, I’ve begun to consider whether the unintended outcomes of maintaining my privacy outweigh personal and professional principle. It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

I’ve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.
sozobe

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:46 am
@DrewDad,
Thinking about this further though, I think that's what I liked about the Jim Parsons "outing."

Anderson Cooper does do the whole "I'm gay" thing.

In the Parsons article, it was just an aside about his family, where you notice that the partner is male rather than female. That kind of exact equivalency -- if you'd mention an actor's wife, go ahead mention his husband, no more or no less -- is probably optimum.
0 Replies

DrewDad

@sozobe,
I'm not trying to say that folks should live in the closet; I'm saying that I look forward to the day when nobody finds it interesting or shocking what someone's sexual orientation is.
sozobe

@DrewDad,
Yeah, completely agreed with that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@DrewDad,
Me too - and I'm already there myself in large part - though I can see how it's still a pretty big deal to them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:23 am
Ha!

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e2016768180221970b-550wi

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:28 am
@DrewDad,

Of course, I also look forward to the day when nobody finds it interesting or shocking that Kate Middleton wore the same dress six months ago.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:39 pm
The only obersvation i have is when he says he's proud. Proud of what? Would one be proud of being, say, left-handed? Would on be proud of being a red head? Comfortable with being what one is is understandable. I don't see any reason to be proud, hoewever, of one's innate nature.
farmerman

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:44 pm
@Setanta,
Not that theres anything WRONG with being proud.
farmerman

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:47 pm
@farmerman,
This thred sounds like the inverse of the series of lines that went something like.
"When I was young I hadda wear hand me down shoes'

"Wow, when I was young we hadda walk around barefoot'

"Wow, you had feet?"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:50 pm
Proud as opposed to being ashamed. I took your point, Set, as I said that to myself too. A flag word that I figure will blend as acceptance happens.

The surprise to me is that this is news. I thought I saw that he had come out before this, a year or two ago, and maybe I did. But I figure whatever I saw didn't disclose to the masses who might watch him on CNN.
aspvenom

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree because I thought he publicly said this years ago. It's been on his wiki page for years at least.
I know a next cool development: Anderson Cooper does not dye his hair.

I wonder if this is a PR stunt that CNN is doing to get more views, either that, or it's a slow news day.
edgarblythe

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:13 pm
I don't understand why it is news when a person comes out or is outed. I regard the person the same, either way.
0 Replies

Ragman

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:22 pm
@Setanta,
Stating (what seems to me) to be obvious: being left-handed or red-headed has no social stigma. Whereas at this current time, there very MUCH is a social stigma to being gay - innate or not. Hence there is a perceived need for those who are gay to state their pride in being gay and to make a public statement about such. There exists ... especially in media ... a constant debate about same gender marriage and marriage contract benefits (insurance). He ... by making a public statement of coming out...might be implicity (perhaps) underlining his support of such unions and such passage of laws and encouraging other gays to come out so that by doing so that might help the stigma go away.
ossobuco

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:57 pm
@aspvenom,
Could be, even likely.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:00 pm
@Ragman,
Apparently ginger hair is nasty in England.
Setanta

Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:07 pm
@Ragman,
You think your way, and i'll think mine.

1. Forums
  2. » Coming Out Quietly
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:49:20