How do you discipline your children?

Mon 25 Jun, 2012 08:24 am
Hello all,

My parents often fuss over how to discipline my little brother. My mom doesn't agree with spankings. My dad does. Do you know of any helpful books that can create a compromise?

Thanks a lot,
Marie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,118 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

izzythepush

Mon 25 Jun, 2012 08:52 am
@MarieTyler,
Kids respond best to the threatened withdrawal of a privilege. I'm taking my little boy to Disneyland in a few weeks. Whenever he plays up I threaten to take his (grown-up) sister instead, and leave him with a friend of mine. That does the trick.
0 Replies

David Bushey

Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:31 am
@MarieTyler,
Hello Community,

Discipline is a form of teaching your child. How you discipline will depend on your child's age, stage of development, personality and many other factors. Discipline protects your child from danger. It helps your child learn self-control and self discipline. It helps your child learn a sense of responsibility. These are the times when you will need to step in and create a consequence. For example, tell her that if she does not pick up her toys, you will put them away for the rest of the day. When you use this method, it is important that you mean what you say. Be prepared to follow through right away.

Best Regards,
David Bushey
Butrflynet

Fri 16 Nov, 2012 01:49 pm
@David Bushey,
Quote:
For example, tell her that if she does not pick up her toys, you will put them away for the rest of the day.

Oh cool! If I throw a tantrum that will get mom to pick up all my toys for me and I can make a mess of them again tomorrow.
roger

Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
It does kind of sound like suspending a kid from school for truancy, doesn't it.
0 Replies

robertlahm2

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:52 am
@MarieTyler,
Disciplining a kid involves the correct blend of strictness and love. May be your parents should send him to a preschool where he will be under the guidance of a teacher. It will help him behave and understand that everyone in the world is not going to be as good and kind to him as your parents.
0 Replies

Irafrank72

Wed 4 May, 2016 11:56 am
I've tried everything from positive reinforcement to taking everything away from my 6 year old and nothing seems to work. I'm at a loss
0 Replies