Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 05:17 pm
In the apartment I moved into several weeks ago, I tried to connect my wireless bluray player to the apartment's wireless router.

There is a connection between the router and player but the DHCP server in the router isn't communicating with the player or causing some kind of conflict so I can't get an internet connection for my BD player.

What is the DHCP SERVER?
How can I disable the DHCP SERVER?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,355 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:50 am
@tsarstepan,
A DHCP router dynamically assigns IP addresses to the MAC address of your device. You turn it on, the DHCP server gives it an IP address for this session, and the device joins the network under this address. When you turn the device off, it releases the IP address so another device can use it. This makes the most sense in networks where IP addresses are scarce.

I would expect that the specific procedure for configuring or disabling DHCP differs between brands of routers. I suggest that you consult your router's manual. (Or that your landlord consult it, if the wireless router for your apartment belongs to him.)
DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:08 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
When you turn the device off, it releases the IP address so another device can use it. This makes the most sense in networks where IP addresses are scarce.

Not exactly.

The DHCP server has a pool of addresses from which it offers IP addresses. The offer includes a lease time.

If the device does not renew the lease, then the IP address is returned to the pool once the lease expires.

In some specific instances, the device may release the lease. A graceful shutdown may accomplish this, but simply turning a device off will result in the DHCP server assuming the lease is still active.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:59 pm
@Thomas,
The problem is that I highly expect that my flatmate still has the router manual since it's the router that came with the cable internet service (Time Warner) and she never has had a problem before dealing with the internet. I'll try their website for further assistance.

I called them about this and couldn't get any help. I tried to get them send out a new router which I'm sure would help as this thing has got to be at least 2 or more years old. However I called them before I stumbled upon/found the DHCP error message.
Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 01:19 pm
Thanks for bringing me up to speed, DrewDad!

TsarStepan, does the casing of your router tell you what make it is? If it does, Google can probably find the manual.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 02:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
What, exactly, is the error message?

The player should either be connected to the router via a network cable, or you should have to configure the wireless settings (if it has wireless).

If it's connected by cable, try using a known-good cable and a known-good port on the router.

Sometimes, you will have to reboot the router, as well.

Try this:

1. Connect your laptop/computer to the router and verify that you can access the Internet.
2. Power off the player.
3. Move the cable from your laptop/computer to the Ethernet port on the player.
4. Reboot the router, and wait until about three or four minutes have passed.
5. Power on the player.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Some questions:
- Is this your router? If it is there is likely an IP address that you can connect to that will allow you to modify the router settings. It will be something like 192.168.0.1. You can look up your brand name online and find the right address.
- Are there lots of devices connected? Some routers limit the number of devices that they will talk to. It may be that you just need to open up more IP addresses. As mentioned above, if devices are shutting down without releasing the IP address, you might make progress but rebooting the router.
- Is there security on the router? You might not be using the correct security protocol on your DVD player or might be supplying the wrong password.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 04:50 pm
@engineer,
I got the password from my roommate. And the router reboot didn't work. I guess I have to borrow my roommates laptop to see the router's software setup.

As far as I know, her laptop is the only device 'attached' to the router.
engineer

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
What type of security scheme does the router use? Look for terms like WEP or WPA. I've had issues before where the router was using the newest and greatest but the DVD player was older and didn't support the same scheme.
0 Replies