Food Addictions

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:40 am
I am hooked on Fage Greek Yoghurt, topped with granola. There are two problems with this. I eat too much of it, and the granola is fattening. Second, I am lactose intolerant, and I won't bore you with the side effects of that.

A couple of weeks ago, I realized that these foods were becoming an addiction, and swore not to buy them any more. That promise to myself lasted about a week.

Are there any foods that are bad for you, but you simply cannot avoid? Have any of you broken the habit of eating a particular food that had adverse effects?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 1,281 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 06:55 am
@Phoenix32890,
I stopped eating potato chips a while ago. They're good, but cost/ benefit wise they're just too unhealthy. (I don't like them enough to make up for how unhealthy they are.)

It's not like I'm a complete teetotaller -- if there are chips at a party, I might have a few. But I haven't bought any in maybe three years.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:17 am
@Phoenix32890,
I now have a healthy relationship with chocolate!! I bought some bags of Haighs for work, and keep forgetting to take it in there....the chocolate has been there for days, and I have eaten only a tiny bit of it!

I did it by simply allowing myself to have chocolate if I really wanted it, but it had to be the exact chocolate I really wanted. Usually I find the chocolate I really fancy is not to be found....I am in some strange middle ground at present between milk chocolate (too sweet) and really dark chocolate...(not creamy enough) and end up with nothing.

I also used to HAVE to have at least one Asian Gourmet in the Market laksa a week......now I have one as a ritual when I have leave.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 03:26 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Not food - but drink - I used to love Coke (the drink of course). Had to have one every day.

I decided it was bad for me and quit.

Lots 5 pounds or so as a result - now on a rare occassion I will have a coke.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:09 am
there are certain additives that MAKE foods addictive. It really sucks..

having said that
my addiction are those damn white powdered doughnuts. Satan's powder. Thats what they are.
You could put me in a straight jacket and I would still chew through the plastic to get to them. Sad..
Green Witch

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:28 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

there are certain additives that MAKE foods addictive. It really sucks..

All you need is salt, fat and sugar. Humans are naturally triggered to crave these tastes. Even food that doesn't really taste great can trigger cravings if these ingredients are present (think Pringles and HoHo's) Homemade items can be made addictive with these ingredients, you don't need fancy additives. Bacon Sundae anyone?
Sturgis

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:39 am
@Phoenix32890,
I have had temporary addictions to several foods. The good thing is I can usually (I said usually) destroy the desire by going overboard with an item. This method has not yet worked on fried cheese or on burgers or on chocolate donuts with raspberry filling inside. In fact there seems to be no shut off valve when dealing with chocolate...dark chocolate.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:58 am
@Sturgis,
Some of my food addictions are pretty healthy but hard to obtain - I adore indian food in general, but especially on a cold rainy day. Back in Venice we had a great place nearby that was cozy inside, so that is where this started. Here in Albuquerque, land of meager rain and more meager indian restaurants, I haven't had indian food for about five years.

On unhealthy, I have pretty much forgone potato chips for years and years, except at friends' places once in a while. Except, except for what is now my once a year lascivious purchase of Kettle Chips' salt and pepper chips. Baaaaad, but I eke out the number of chips allowed per salt attack.

Corn chips, which are apt to be worse - I get a bag of cheap super unhealthy ones about every two months.

My proposed substitute is going to be some of my own fresh bread (well, Jim Lahey's no-knead bread) with something I just tried making and like - "sage pate". That recipe came with a package of sage I bought back when I didn't have any in the yard -

Nutty Sage Pate
1 cup of shelled hazelnuts, toasted (I used almonds)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
8 oz cream cheese
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons milk

Grind seeds and nuts. Beat cream cheese, salt, pepper, sage, and oil together in a bowl. And nuts and seeds. Add milk. Serve chilled.

So I made this, put in two small plastic containers, one for the refrigerator for present use and one in the freezer. Good with crackers or bread.
(Now to get started making my own crackers)

roger

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 11:49 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure corn chips are just as bad, both being a dehydrated, salty form of something not good for my diet at all.

I keep reading snack bags in hopes of finding something non-toxic, and still suitable for dipping. Anybody wants to say celery, keep it to yourself and go sit in the corner, anyway.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 02:21 am
@Green Witch,
Pringles taste utterly disgusting to me......other crisps taste pretty good, if too salty for my taste.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 02:25 am
I have of late become addicted to grapefruit juice. Guzzling out of the bottle. Filling a tall glass with ice and juice.

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 06:17 am
@Roberta,
Mmmmmmmmm......grapefruit juice......PINK grapefruit juice.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:11 am
@dlowan,
Not pink. Yellow.
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:29 am
@Phoenix32890,
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSssO4zK1fXDuwYdSliXebqW6XGxN_CMCnqvp3vlrpwya-VExRjrg
0 Replies

space007

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:03 am
@Phoenix32890,
Although i know the adverse effect i couldn't stop eating and i was defeated.
0 Replies