Once more, about free photo editing websites

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 01:40 pm
I'm a slow poke about getting photos of my paintings edited and then onto a site such as Flickr where I can show them in some orderly fashion.
I've used photobucket over the years, but didn't feel I had much control. In another thread on this subject, Sozobe recommended Picnik and one sunny day or evening I spent a lot of hours scanning and fooling around with something like eight photos. Pretty fabulous except that they were always more intense than the paintings, and I couldn't tone that down without screwing up contrast or brightness or whatever (that was a while ago). In retrospect, the photobucket photos, whate're their faults, were more true to the painting color.

I have shied away from image shack from some early effort of mine where they seemed mac-adverse. I presume this is not true now, wondering if people are happy with them re color.

I checked into picnik today and see they are subsumed by google, so maybe I should break down and get google plus.

Meantime, back at the master computer room, I've not had adobe photo shop on this particular mac, though I had the beginner adobe on my oldie mac.
Do people (Boomer?) still use the basic adobe site? Wondering if I would like that. In memory, I liked it back in something like 2004.

Next in line of problems - I got a mac update about five days ago that coincided with a slower working machine .... with some news about my java being messed up and that they had removed it, and I should go to preferences and select java again. I did.
In the same update, they said my adobe flash was causing problems (I knew that already, crashomatic re checking on sports). I followed the directions on that and signed up for a new adobe flash via some link.
My mac is still wallowing in taffy, especially but not only on yahoo, and when it does its crash behavior, I get a notice that my adobe flash may be at fault, naming the earlier one.
Mac OS X
version 10.5.8

Next, in the past, in later 2009 I had a hardware burnout (whatever you call that) and had the computer fixed by mac types. Didn't learn until quite some time later that I had lost iPhoto. Haven't dragged the computer back across the river to get there and am not clear if I can just somehow signup to install iPhoto again or if I have to pay to do that.

I suppose I need to solve the taffy before I try getting adobe photo shop basic or iPhoto.

So (so, so, so):

1) any advice on photo editing of the free sort is very welcome
2) any advice on my java-flash problem is welcome (consider me simple)
3) any advice on getting iPhoto back is welcome
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,816 • Replies: 9
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 01:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Gimp is a free open source photo editing program which gets really solid 5 out of 5 stars from CNET.
http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10073935.html
boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 02:01 pm
Are you still using the same monitor that you were using when you liked the color?

If you have a different monitor that could account for the difference.

When I edit my photos on my computer they look exactly how I want them to look. When I look at them on someone else's that isn't always so. It depends on how their monitor is adjusted.

Back in my studio days the lab I used would routinely send in someone to calibrate our monitors so that what we saw was what the lab saw and printed.

But anyway....

I use Photoshop Elements which is their bottom rung program but all I really need since I don't like to over "shop" my photos. It isn't free though. I think it costs about $100.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 02:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I've been using irfanview for photo-editing for about a decade now. Free, but not fancy.

Does a decent job - I think it's worth checking it out.

Where you store them is a separate question (and I need to go home to see what I've been using other than FB lately).
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 02:18 pm
I have adobe on my computer, but I seem to use Google's Picasa more often. It's pretty good and much easier to use and it's free.
Just go to the google home page and click on more, then even more and you'll find a list of great programs. I also use their CAD type program called sketch-up a lot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 02:23 pm
Thanks all. I've heard of gimp but forgotten about it, Tsar.
I've had this computer since something like January '06, monitor presumably the same. I just couldn't tone down the picnik edits. This could also be a mix of my weird eye stuff and what a computer system picks up - but my painting colors to my eyes are on the subtle side. I have seen many many more garish paintings than mine. Well, in one photo of a road to Castellina, the field was somewhat pink orange. Nah, that was mustard.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 10:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Still listening.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 04:37 am
I second beth's choice of irfanview. I've gotten comfy with familiarity over the last decade.

But then I don't need fancy-schmancy.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 07:00 am
@tsarstepan,
Gimp isn't terribly good with directions, though. If you don't mind trial and error, or looking up solutions online, it can work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 09:02 am
Thanks all - I now remember that about gimp.
0 Replies