• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,453 • Replies: 7
No top replies

raprap

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 07:59 pm
@gollum,
Individuals can die--when more individuals die than scizm the species will go extinct.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 08:06 pm
@gollum,
Ummm, yes. What do you think happens when bacteria is exposed to antibacterial compounds like soap and other cleaners?
gollum

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 08:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Understood. Thank you, tsarstepan.

I think all other living things have a parent(s) and often children. In contrast, I think the single-celled organism keeps on dividing without dying unless is is hit with anti-bacterial spray, etc.
Solius Symbiosus

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:18 pm
@gollum,
Stromatoporoids in the Lexington Limeston: Sponge... http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb259/soliussymbiosus/Fossils/other/DSCN2702.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 09:20 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Do they die?
By the trillions.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 10:24 pm
maybe even quadrillions
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2017 12:37 pm
Single-celled organisms. Do they die?

Interesting question that was sidestepped in 2012. But it has wider implications. Since they reproduce by fission, they produce clones, exact copies of themselves, actually the same organism. So, they have the potential to live forever.

Then I thought of the smooth sumac--Rhus glabra--, a small tree no more than 8 feet tall and considered a weedy, short-lived thicket-producing tree. And, indeed the individual may only live ten years or so. But the tree puts out rhizomes every year, many of them, and each one sprouting another tree, a clone. The rhizome is an underground stem so you have to think of the whole thicket as one tree. This tree is continually regenerating, and thus has the potential live forever.
0 Replies