Any really weird laws in your neck of the woods?

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:44 pm
Here are some Los Angeles and California laws:
-Women may not drive in a housecoat
-You may only throw a frisbee at the beach in Los Angeles County, CA with the lifeguard’s permission.
-Peacocks have the right of way to cross any street, including driveways.
-Nobody is allowed to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool.
-City Council order reads: “No dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash. (Although we all know what this one was meant to say, this is how the upstanding, educated city leaders put it in the books)

raprap

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 04:28 pm
@nqyringmind,
Pi=3
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 04:33 pm
@nqyringmind,
I like that last one. I think all dog-owners should be leashed.

<ducks and runs for cover as he sees Setanta approaching.>
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 04:35 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Woof!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 05:13 pm
@nqyringmind,
In Pennsylvania you may only buy a six pack of beer at a BAR. If you want a case orkeg of beer, you must go to a state licensed beer distrinutor. Liquor and wine cannot be sold by theses distributors, fro that, you must go to a state owned and operated STATE STORE where the brands are controlled.
Wines made in Pa may not be sold at any state stores , they may only be sold at the winery store and the winery may have a separate store attached to a restaurant or a kiosk but , the wine store part must have its own lockable entry way and may not have the same hours of business as the store its attached to.
Then the PA legislature is trying to bar doing away with this confusing system because they say that it would "complicate and criminalize" the sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages. Oh yeh, "wine coolers" may only be sold at the same beer distributors that can only sell cases of beer

AND they do this with a stern face.
raprap

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 05:54 pm
Marijuana is illegal.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 06:41 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, I've always been a great admirer of the Pennsylvania liquor laws. I couldn't believe they could be any more hilarious than what was then the law in Massachusetts where I was living, but Penna. has everybody else beat. I'm sure you know the story that when Prohibition was repealed back in 1933, whoever was then the Governor of Pennsylvania is credited with the classic statement: "Okay, so we have to let 'em drink now. Just as long as they don't enjoy it."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 10:00 pm
@farmerman,
You should have been in Oklahoma in the sixties. Liquor could not be promoted. This meant the store employee couldn't carry a case to the car for a customer. Also, it meant they couldn't sell minatures. That was too much like a sample, which would have been a promotion.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 10:10 pm
@farmerman,
we gave up and just brought our own when we had to do a weekend in PA...

Kansas liquor laws are slowly moving into the 21st century. we can buy on Sunday finally.

but beer purchased at other than a liquor store is capped at 3.2 percent.

(which is all they sell in OK)
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:46 am
@Rockhead,
I recall flying over Kansas and they would shut dow the likker cabinets on the plane. They said that Kansas boundaries gostrait up to heaven.

Utah had a silly Mormonated likker policy. (You hadda join a "club" to drink or buy these little airline bottles)

PA is the holdout of ridiculous blue laws.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:55 am
I worked at a university facility in Illinois which had a liquor license. When i came to the necesssity to renew the license, i learned that there were 27 classes of liquor license in that state (at that time, anyway). It don't bear thinking about.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 03:57 am
@Setanta,
Illinois has always been termed "corrupt and contented", or was that Philly?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 04:03 am
Are we talking cream cheese here?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 06:17 am
apparently in my locale, it's illegal for me to just kill people, how weird is that
raprap

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 07:41 am
@djjd62,
Apparently you need to move to Florida.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 08:49 am
Meanwhile, here in the Steady States of Connecticut and New York:
FINALLY:
Connecticut has rescinded their Blue Law: Alcohol may now be purchased on Sundays. Yankees walking to their StopandShops have been, for two weeks now, blinking and rubbing their eyes at the sight of an open-for-business-on-a-Sunday-liquor store.
wow. Even in TEXAS, they ...well, nevermind.

Meanwhile, here is New York City, the home of excess, it will soon be unlawful for the corner bodega to sell a soft drink in a container larger than sixteen ounces.
Right. http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/12/justice/new-york-soda-ban/index.html
In my neighborhood that will probably mean that someone will be able to get an ounce of hash or a slightly used gun at the establishment, but would be out of luck if they wanted a Big Gulp.

Joe(Pssst~Check it out,,,,20 oz cups, my brother)Nation
Irishk

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 09:19 am
@Joe Nation,
Gonna cost you 20 bucks if you want to swear in public in MA.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 09:22 am
@Irishk,
Is that per instance or per obscenity within any instance??

Joe(Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.)Nation
Val Killmore

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 09:44 am
@Irishk,
Quote:
Gonna cost you 20 bucks if you want to swear in public in MA.

I hope Setanta doesn't visit MA anytime soon then.
Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 09:51 am
@Val Killmore,
Liar . . .
0 Replies